What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Covana's are in...pretty cool hottub accessory  (Read 10966 times)

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Covana's are in...pretty cool hottub accessory
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »
we just started selling these a couple weeks ago, obviously these are not for everyone but they are a neat option to have on hand for the right customer.  They come in 2 colors and have a cool LED light package along with options for screens and curtains.  What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:23:49 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

Hot Tub Forum

Covana's are in...pretty cool hottub accessory
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »

planetary

Re: Covana's are in...pretty cool hottub accessory
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »
Does it have clearance, both top and back, for cover lifters?  One of the things I have liked about sitting in other people's hot tubs at night is staring at the sky, which would be harder here.

OTOH, shade during hot sun, and at least partial coverage during inclement weather, sounds nice.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 01:37:03 pm »
That would be pretty cool if it had a hydraulic or crank on it to lift and lower it to be used rather than a regular cover, and I had to look several times to see if that was the use for it. It would have a really nice purpose then. I wouldn't spend the money for one of those, but it does look elegant. Good luck with them. Hope you sell a ton of 'em.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:51:04 pm »
I thought that Covana took the place of a normal cover, and has an electric motor to raise and lower it...?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:51:19 pm »
Does it have clearance, both top and back, for cover lifters?  One of the things I have liked about sitting in other people's hot tubs at night is staring at the sky, which would be harder here.

OTOH, shade during hot sun, and at least partial coverage during inclement weather, sounds nice.

that is the cover....it opens and closes using a reverse drive system with a key operation, it also has LED lighting built into the dome with 6 different colors

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:52:33 pm »
I thought that Covana took the place of a normal cover, and has an electric motor to raise and lower it...?

for safety purpose the motor doesn't "lower" the cover, rather it "pushes" it down to prevent the motor failing and the lid dropping down unexpectedly

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 02:52:22 pm »
  They are kinda cool, I remember seeing them in Vegas a couple of years ago.    Only problem I saw at the time was the unit being stuck open for whatever reason in the dead of winter.   The guy told me you couldn't lower it manually.  Maybe they have solved that issue? 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 03:52:31 pm »
  They are kinda cool, I remember seeing them in Vegas a couple of years ago.    Only problem I saw at the time was the unit being stuck open for whatever reason in the dead of winter.   The guy told me you couldn't lower it manually.  Maybe they have solved that issue?

well if it was a couple years ago it was most likely their version 1...they are now on version III with some nice improvements along the way.  I do like that the drive mechanism is chain and sprocket and the motor is very heavy duty (think automatic pool cover motor).  But as with anything in extreme cold nothing is 100% fool proof so if something does fail it will be on service dept. to get it fixed asap.  One thing I was told is that out of the approx. 1700 units in service they are seeing less than 0.5% fail rate since introduction which is pretty good for a new product.

I just finalized 1 this morning to be installed in 2 weeks so I will update this thread throughout the winter with some "real life" feedback

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:37:47 pm »
How much does it retail for? A friend had one on his showroom floor for a couple years. People really liked it but they didn't buy it. Its like showing me a refrigerator that will toss me a beer while I remain sitting on the couch. I'd say "wow, I'm impressed and that's awesome how it works but for $XXXX I'll get up and get my own beer".

I'm sure it has a market for people who don't blink at the added price or have an issue with being able to open the cover due to some physical issue but otherwise I think it's more novelty item than anything though it will look good on the showroom floor.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 05:03:07 pm »
How much does it retail for? A friend had one on his showroom floor for a couple years. People really liked it but they didn't buy it. Its like showing me a refrigerator that will toss me a beer while I remain sitting on the couch. I'd say "wow, I'm impressed and that's awesome how it works but for $XXXX I'll get up and get my own beer".

I'm sure it has a market for people who don't blink at the added price or have an issue with being able to open the cover due to some physical issue but otherwise I think it's more novelty item than anything though it will look good on the showroom floor.

I believe suggested MSRP is around $6400, of course they sell for less just like the spas.  And yes not to paint any broad strokes or make assumptions but this isn't really an item for the folks who clip coupons (like me lol), fortunately I'm in a very high end area so I believe we will sell a few.  They also generate tons of traffic at fairs, homeshows, etc. which as we all know is good for business

sorebikr

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:53:59 pm »

I believe suggested MSRP is around $6400, of course they sell for less just like the spas.  And yes not to paint any broad strokes or make assumptions but this isn't really an item for the folks who clip coupons (like me lol), fortunately I'm in a very high end area so I believe we will sell a few.  They also generate tons of traffic at fairs, homeshows, etc. which as we all know is good for business

Holy crap.  That's a deal-breaker for me.  But good luck to you.  There's a buyer for everything out there, you just have to find them.

JohnnyK45

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:34:04 am »
For those on a tighter budget who would like some kind of over-head cover for spring and summer use, this could be an option (and it's screened in)...

http://www.screen-house.com/casita_round.htm

And, if you don't want to have things screened in, for blocking just the sun in the summer, etc., this could be an option...

http://www.patioumbrellas.com/offset-umbrellas/49+5779.cfm?viewall=yes

That covana is very nice, but as you stated, not for every spa owner; so, a couple of alternatives - I'm leaning heavy on getting an offset umbrella next year for some use during the summer months.

J

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 07:22:33 am »
I would consider one if I lived south of the Mason Dixon line. I've been through too many harsh winters to think I wouldn't be spending time freeing up a stuck cover to either get in or get it closed.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 07:22:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42