What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: clearray on the jacuzzi  (Read 7201 times)

hottubnewbie

clearray on the jacuzzi
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:48:55 am »
recently purchased the j-375 series, it has the clearray system. Supposed to help keep the bacteria at bay.

Question: How do I know its working, or even on for that matter?

Hot Tub Forum

clearray on the jacuzzi
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:48:55 am »

planetary

Re: clearray on the jacuzzi
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »
I'm a newbie like you, and my Jacuzzi isn't due until next week.  So I really don't know what I'm talking about, but this is what I'm thinking:

(1) You can trust that the tub was set up properly, and the internal logic, as described in your user manual.  Doesn't really answer your question, but it's nice to know that the tub will throw messages at you when it thinks it's time for a change.

(2) Visual inspection.  The manual tells you how to get to the bulb and change it.  You can follow this procedure to the point where you can see if the bulb is lit and operational.

(3) Experimentation.  Deactivate the system (the manual tells you how), and establish a chemical baseline for a few weeks.  Then turn it on.  Because the alleged impact of the system is a reduction in bacteria, this should result in a reduced chemical input into the water.  Measure and see!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 07:13:24 pm »
Just add chlorine and balance your water like you would do in any other spa. You could always disconnect it at some point as an experiement to see if you even see a difference but count me as skeptical that you'll ever notice the difference between it being on and it being off or the bulb going out. I'm not a water care expert really but I know one of the chem guys on the other spa site said by defintion it won't do much of anything in a spa application. I think its mostly just a marketing angle but maybe it'll help to some small degree and it can't hurt. Personally I would do the disconnect experiemnt myself so I'd know wehter to even bother changing the bulb in a year or so when it needs it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:28:25 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

goose973

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:05:44 pm »
The spa should give you a fault code if clearray needs serviced.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »
most likely the only way you'll notice a difference with the clearray is in average or lower use (meaning # of bodies and frequency of usage)  tub..once you start piling in 4,5 or 6 people and children then you'll be using enough sanitizer to the point you won't notice much of a difference...personally I'd save the upfront cost and skip clearray and its annual $100 light bulb and stick with a good corona discharge ozonator which has a lifespan of around 3-4 years and can be had online for $150 (JED makes a good unit)...just my opinion, your mileage may vary
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:07:20 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

jonnyboy2807

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »
The various Maax spa brands now sell ClearZone II, which combines UVC and ozonator - which is on the tub I'm expecting in two weeks.  So I'm guessing both will work great together, or neither will work. I look forward to finding out...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:45 pm »
The spa should give you a fault code if clearray needs serviced.

It gives a code, I believe, which is just a timer to tell you to change the bulb at  a set time.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Howarth

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:57 am »
recently purchased the j-375 series, it has the clearray system. Supposed to help keep the bacteria at bay.

Question: How do I know its working, or even on for that matter?

hi
i have just posted a question on the forum.  how is your clearray doing.  do you have to use much chlorine etc?  we are having a bad time of it at present trying to get a reading.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42