What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Decision made and order placed: Jacuzzi 470 it is  (Read 19793 times)

planetary

Decision made and order placed: Jacuzzi 470 it is
« on: August 30, 2012, 12:34:34 am »
I became interested in hot tubs about 3 years ago and knew I wanted to get one.  I started doing research, went to a few shops, but my tastes were running pretty expensive -- and had bigger fish to fry.  I wanted to wait to get a really nice tub.  Years, and a backyard re-landscaping, later, I have a nice 8 sq. ft. concrete pad waiting, and currently hosting a Weber BBQ.

I decided to go shopping again.  Several months of research and testing, and I zeroed in on a few options from Jacuzzi, Sundance, and D1.  I had all the usual decision issues.  Lounger or not?  Which dealer did I feel most comfortable with?  Which models were more our taste and style?  Which models' jets and seats were the most comfortable?  And so forth.

Long story short, I settled on a J-470 a few weeks ago and was just waiting for the Labor Day sale.  The salesman actually advised me to do this, which I didn't take to be a bad sign.  I'm opted not to get the stereo, but got just about everything else.

Anyway, refundable deposit made.  Site inspection on Friday to determine delivery method.  I fully expect craning will be required, and the house electrical to need an overhaul.  I know next to nothing about electrical stuff, but I believe the external large breaker box is just about maxxed out, from what I've been told from previous contractors with whom I've discussed the possibility.  And I know enough (from sites like this one!) to make sure to get 60 amp service set up with a qualified electrician, and 6 gauge wire, etc.

The wife is getting very excited about this, perhaps even more than me!  Can't wait.  As was mentioned in another thread recently, 4 weeks from order to delivery is what I was told to expect.  She thinks that it's appropriate to order in a large stock of wine to have on hand, and ready to go.  Can't argue with that!  :)

Thanks to all those here who have shared experiences and expertise!

Will post updates and photos as the story progresses.

Hot Tub Forum

Decision made and order placed: Jacuzzi 470 it is
« on: August 30, 2012, 12:34:34 am »

JohnnyK45

Re: Decision made and order placed: Jacuzzi 470 it is
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:23:28 am »
Congrats!!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:07:40 am »
Also congrats.  How long till delivery?  I'll look forward to hearing how it goes.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

planetary

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:10:18 pm »
"About 4 weeks," quoth the salesguy.

planetary

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:52:06 pm »
Site inspection just wrapped up.  Crane it is.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:03:59 pm »
 Nice choice of a spa!   FWIW we have been getting spa's in and around within 2.5 weeks.  They are running 2 full shifts from what I understand..

planetary

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »
I'll keep my expectations tempered, but that's a good sign, Jim!

Just to take advantage of any possible schedule up-side, I've already also started the quote process with electricians.  Not sure what the lead time (if any) is on the required parts, but working stuff out a couple weeks in advance makes good sense.  :)

planetary

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 03:53:04 pm »
Making calls to electricians to get a quote on the 60 amp circuit breaker and related work.  Not sure how to tell if I need to get a new 150/200 amp box for the house.  I expect I'm tapped out.

Also reading up on chemicals and water purification methodologies.  I should have known that the internet would have made science political.  Shocker.  :)

planetary

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:25:46 pm »
Electrical work and crane service set up.  Everything is waiting on the delivery date of the spa!

People at work are taunting me with YouTube videos of crane disasters, but I know they're just jealous.  :)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:14 am »
Electrical work and crane service set up.  Everything is waiting on the delivery date of the spa!

People at work are taunting me with YouTube videos of crane disasters, but I know they're just jealous.  :)

That's funny!  I'm lucky, my delivery guys just have to roll it up a slight incline of an asphalt driveway about 40ft, across about 15ft of grass to the pad.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

planetary

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:38:02 pm »
Update!  Spa will be in the warehouse this weekend.  Delivery on Tuesday, electrician on Wednesday.  I imagine that it'll take some additional time to get the water properly balanced before the first soak.  Maybe Thursday or Friday?

Long story short: next week!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:11:34 pm »
Great news, I'm hopeful for September.

planetary

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 10:08:37 am »
Delivery day.  Will post pics and/or videos.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 10:34:56 am »
Delivery day.  Will post pics and/or videos.

Did they give an estimated time for delivery? If I remember right your in Canada?  I don't remember which province though.

planetary

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:28 am »
Did they give an estimated time for delivery? If I remember right your in Canada?  I don't remember which province though.

Yes.  10:30am Pacific.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42