What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: about to buy a Jacuzzi  (Read 15066 times)

Gillian

about to buy a Jacuzzi
« on: August 14, 2012, 11:57:54 am »
We are buying our first hot tub, narrowed it down to Jacuzzi 355 or 345 (lounge or no lounge, a personal preference I haven't been able to figure out yet).  I think the J345 fits me best, as I am petite, but I want my family to enjoy the tub also.  I can't decide on color(s) either.  The silver pearl (textured white) looks the best with lights.  I also like the Sahara & Sand shell colors with teak skirting.  Do you keep hot tub lights on the entire time you are in a hot tub? Is a white shell harder to keep clean than colors? Are upgrades, like the Pro Endure cover & Smart Seal insulation good to add in very cold climates? We live in a very cold climate.   

Hot Tub Forum

about to buy a Jacuzzi
« on: August 14, 2012, 11:57:54 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: about to buy a Jacuzzi
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:37:30 pm »
We are buying our first hot tub, narrowed it down to Jacuzzi 355 or 345 (lounge or no lounge, a personal preference I haven't been able to figure out yet).  I think the J345 fits me best, as I am petite, but I want my family to enjoy the tub also.  I can't decide on color(s) either.  The silver pearl (textured white) looks the best with lights.  I also like the Sahara & Sand shell colors with teak skirting.  Do you keep hot tub lights on the entire time you are in a hot tub? Is a white shell harder to keep clean than colors? Are upgrades, like the Pro Endure cover & Smart Seal insulation good to add in very cold climates? We live in a very cold climate.   

If you wet test, go with whichever fits/feels best. If you don't wet test I suggest you go with the non-lounge spa to avoid finding out in your back yard that you have a section of the spa that doesn't work for you yet takes up about 25% or so of the spa. Lounges are a hit and miss as far as fit for each person but if you are decidedly non-average in stature (taller, shorter, larger) I’d definitely worry that a lounge might not work well for you.

The Sand and Sahara types won't show spots nearly as much as the "shiny/smooth" surfaces which are harder to keep clean but get whichever you truly want and don’t' sweat it, its not like you'll have to be cleaning it a lot. No matter the surface type, the lighter the color the better the light shows.

I would upgrade on the items that give you better energy efficiency pretty much no matter where you live as they tend to pay for themselves over time when in colder climates and/or high rate areas.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:39:18 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:41:14 pm »
Gillian,

Welcome to the forum. I am back in the market to buy after 10 years and am looking at those models as well.  We wet test Wednesday night. More then. My sister has a similar color and has no problem keeping hers nice looking.   My current tub has crappy lighting, so we don't have it on that often, but on this tub it does look much nicer, so we will see.

Washington State I assume?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:43:49 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:12:52 pm »
Spatech pretty much nailed it already, if you are unsure about which I would highly recommend a wet test to find out which spa you are more comfortable in.

re: the colors, I always say the shiny acrylics are more "pretty" esp. with some nice LED lighting, and the textured sand/sahara etc. finishes are more practical because they show less spots and scratch less...however don't sweat it, pick the colors that you like the most, even if scratched the shiny pearl surfaces can be buffed out easily and water spots are water spots, no biggie, it is after-all a hottub so water is kind of a key component  ;D

hudler

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:48:30 pm »
I have the sand color in my J-470 and it is very easy to keep clean and no marks or anything on the shell after a year. I have no experience with the lighter colors. We use the lights every time we are in the tub except during the day. The textured sand shell may also be less slippery as well? Not sure.

goose973

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »
We do use the lights at night almost without exception. As for the finish, we have the Sahara in our Sundance, and it doesn't show water spots or dirt. We chose it because of that and the fact that it is less slippery than the pearl finishes.

planetary

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 05:35:37 pm »
First time poster.  I'm about to get a J-470 (just waiting for the upcoming Labor Day sale) and am considering the same questions.  I think I'll end up choosing the platinum shell, because the appearance is brilliant.   :)

Gillian

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:30:32 pm »
We are getting the Jacuzzi J365, Sand shell with Teak skirting.  I realized that I have been in a Sundance Optima already and liked it alot.  Our friends have the J365 and highly recommended it.  I decided to go without the lounge because I've never wet tested one and I think as a family of 5 with 3 (adult/teen) kids we will enjoy the open seating area without the lounge. Thank you all for sharing your experiences!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:43:05 pm by Gillian »

planetary

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 08:45:46 pm »
Gillian, I agree with the lack of lounge.  My wife and I have 3 kids (all boys, 8 years old) and a lounge seat would present a challenge for those times when all of us pile in the tub.

hudler

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 01:57:50 pm »
I am glad I went with the J470 over the lounge model, much more practicle with a large family or when guests come over for a soak. I find the kids use the tub more then the adults and it is nice to be able to fit all their friends in the tub!

bartman9

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 06:17:44 pm »
We were considering the Silver Pearl shell for a J-365, but a sales rep told us they had one on their floor once and the water looked green because of the finish.  As a result we have been leaning towards a Sahara finish.  But, now I am wondering if they sales rep was telling the truth our just steering me away from something they don't have in stock.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 06:21:30 pm »
 Both colors look nice but silver pearl does not make the water look green.  Suppose it might matter depending on lighting in the showroom??

bartman9

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:23:18 pm »
Thanks!  Does the Silver Pearl still have the textured (less slippery) surface as the Sand and Sahara?

goose973

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 07:10:08 pm »
Nope. Silver pearl is smooth.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 07:23:54 pm »
Nope. Silver pearl is smooth.

Fail!    Silver pearl is textured..   Platinum is smooth  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 07:23:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42