What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Major help needed - picking a spa!  (Read 15194 times)

megan

Major help needed - picking a spa!
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:21:50 pm »
Hi guys!  Great forum!!  Im a newly single mom and I need help purchasing a spa for my new home.  I have champagne taste on a beer budget now! ;)  I wanted to see what brands the pros on the forum would suggest!  Im afraid to make an expensive mistake!  I would like a salt water hot tub.  The pool I just "left" was a salt water pool.  Now Im getting a hot tub to take the place of a pool ;(!  I have two teenage girls......I would like a bigger hot tub so they could have some friends over.

Hot Tub Forum

Major help needed - picking a spa!
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:21:50 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Major help needed - picking a spa!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:19:50 pm »
Hi Megan,

Welcome to the forum.  I can't comment on salt water hot tubs, but I probably wouldn't make that my limiting factor.  My next thought is bigger usually means more expensive.  Many people plan on having lots of guests and then find they don't have as many, but judge for yourself.   I'm guessing your salt water hot tub preference maybe related to having saltwater pool?

As for hot tubs, many people find water care harder in a hot tub than a pool, but people usually pick it up quickly.   However ,I will say teenage girls are a hot tubs worst enemy!  I would lay down the law with them especially about showering before using the tub.  Normal water care takes care of sanitary issues, but teenage girls love to use large amounts of moisturizers, perfumes, conditioners and these wreck havoc on water care.  Also they seem to like to dunk their hair in the water. I would discourage that with a taser if necessary.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

megan

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 05:10:10 pm »
Hahahahah.....ALL true!!!!  ;D That was great advice!!!  With all that being said......is it "easier" to control a salt water spa or a chemically treated spa?  And does one do a better job at killing all that stuff?!  I looked at the Hotsprings, Caldara, Sundance and Jacuzzi tubs.  All seem great.  Is there a 'trick" to getting a good deal?  Im great at buying a car, shopping and negotiating but this seems like such a blind item????  I dont know why?!  :o  To be honest I have a modern house so I want a sleek looking tub!  I saw an "infinity" edge hot tub for 30K!!  WOW was that cool!!  Okay back to reality.....   :-X  Any advice you can give is much appreciated!!!  Im looking up the taser next!!!  KIDDDING!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:06:39 pm »
Dichlor (powdered chlorine)  is by far the easiest, cheapest way to keep a spa healthy. If you do it correctly, you should not smell chlorine in the tub, or on your skin as you exit the tub.

Salt is an added expense, starting with the equipment and continuing through the test strips and down to the salt itself. The best systems are complicated - when they work they are amazing. When they don't...

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

goose973

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:31:28 am »
I can't speak for all manufacturers and/or dealers, but I will relay something the local dealer for Arctic hot tubs told us when were doing our shopping. He told us flat out to avoid the salt water system from Arctic. He said that there have been many problems with it.

As for the size of tub, we planned on having a lot of people over, too, and we do do that from time to time. BUT...we went with the tub we were most comfortable in that fit our budget (it just happened to be the smaller of our two finalists). After all, only my wife and I were going to be in it 95% of the time anyway. Even when we have guests over, people just rotate in and out because nobody can stand to be in for very long due to the heat. Hasn't been a problem, and I enjoy not paying more for empty seats.

We ended up with a Sundance Certa, by the way, and we are quite happy with it. Good luck in your search.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:55:36 am »
Hahahahah.....ALL true!!!!  ;D That was great advice!!!  With all that being said......is it "easier" to control a salt water spa or a chemically treated spa?  And does one do a better job at killing all that stuff?!  I looked at the Hotsprings, Caldara, Sundance and Jacuzzi tubs.  All seem great.  Is there a 'trick" to getting a good deal?  Im great at buying a car, shopping and negotiating but this seems like such a blind item????  I dont know why?!  :o  To be honest I have a modern house so I want a sleek looking tub!  I saw an "infinity" edge hot tub for 30K!!  WOW was that cool!!  Okay back to reality.....   :-X  Any advice you can give is much appreciated!!!  Im looking up the taser next!!!  KIDDDING!

The good news is you're looking at 4 of the best brands out there though I tend to favor Caldera and Hot Spring ;). Take your time, ask lots of questions, use this site for a sounding board and wet test.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:57:19 am by Hot Spring Ace »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:12:55 am »
 "Modern house and Sleek spa"  You should take a look at the Jacuzzi JLX series!

manwgoldengun

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:59:21 am »
I have been shopping spas recently.  One trip to our county Fair and I now have the bug!!  Wow.  What a confusing item to shop for!!  I am also looking at Jacuzzi, Sundance, Caldera, and Hot Springs.....I was looking at LA Spas but not anymore!  I have found out in my research that salt water systems are just a fancy name for chlorine generators.  They do well in pools, but not so much in spas/hot water.  I was also told that they are $$$$ to replace.  I am avoiding ozone altogether for the corrosion horror stories.  Maybe an expert or two can elaborate. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:55:11 am »
  I am avoiding ozone altogether for the corrosion horror stories. 

I don't see corrosion from ozone. I think you're mixing that up poor grade of stainless steel and/or high salt concentration.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:57:57 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

megan

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 11:39:22 am »
Oh MY gosh!!!!  What great advice here!!!  I just came back from the beach wondering if i had any reply's!!!  I think Ill skip the salt water idea!!!!  I need an easy"ier" than harder system!  As far as size.....I'll cut back on the size....all you mentioned that it's our family will be in it the most 95% of the time and not to pay lots for unused seats!!!!  Hehe!  Well said!!  Its like buying a crazy big car to drive all my kids friends in!!!  I never did that and we were just fine!!  ;)
Okay.....does anyone have a thought on Cal Spas????????  And one more question..........any tips on getting a fair price?!
Thanks so very much to all those who responded with great advice!!!

manwgoldengun

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:41:01 am »

manwgoldengun

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 11:46:19 am »
Megan!!  Um, no----Go to:  www.consumeraffairs.com  77 reviews---well over half are absolute horror stories.  That's the first place I considered and boy am I glad I asked.  Seems they are decent tubs, but their service after the sale is awful.  Even the guys who sell the cheap spas tell me to avoid.  I've considered a used tub as well.  There's one or two guys in my area that sell name brands refurbished.  Panel?

megan

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:47:04 am »
Thanks for the link....very informative! ;)

megan

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:54:54 am »
I just used that link.....wow 77 reports!!!  God love the web!!  But... I typed in all my favorites just to check on them!!!
Much less to no reports!!!  Anyone out there with a HotSprings tub, there is a fire hazard recall for 11' tubs.  Just FYI!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:48:04 pm »
I have been shopping spas recently.  One trip to our county Fair and I now have the bug!!  Wow.  What a confusing item to shop for!!  I am also looking at Jacuzzi, Sundance, Caldera, and Hot Springs.....I was looking at LA Spas but not anymore!  I have found out in my research that salt water systems are just a fancy name for chlorine generators.  They do well in pools, but not so much in spas/hot water.  I was also told that they are $$$$ to replace.  I am avoiding ozone altogether for the corrosion horror stories.  Maybe an expert or two can elaborate.

swcg (salt water chlorine generator) have been called that for years now, sorry but that is no groundbreaking news, and what is your experience with them in pools/spas? just curious if you have first hand experience or if your just listening to a random salesperson? also your ozone info. is off base as well just so you know...looks like all you picked up at the county fair was mis-information....just an fyi for those shopping a fair or homeshow is the absolute worst place to gather information on spas because "hired guns" don't care about the customer, all they want is your check or CC so they can sell you a spa and move on to the next one so they will tell you about anything to get you to buy

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:48:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42