What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical Selection for a Newbie  (Read 4376 times)

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
Chemical Selection for a Newbie
« on: May 26, 2004, 12:54:58 pm »
There has been a lot of drifting threads on chemicals, ozone, etc!

I am new and will be purchasing a tub this summer. (If I can cash in some brownie points with my wife! lol)

Anyway, I want to limit the amount of chemicals (bromine, clorine, etc) in the water.  I am thinking it is impossible to go chemical free.   I plan installing a CD ozone system.

What schedule of chemicals should I use?  If it matters, I am planning on buying a Sundance Cameo or HS Vista.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical Selection for a Newbie
« on: May 26, 2004, 12:54:58 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Chemical Selection for a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 01:21:48 pm »
My recommendation is to start with whatever your dealer gives you for several months  till your comforatable with your system.   I believe the best system can be fouled up and bad results can happen to a newbie, as I was recently.   When you first get started you will have lots of issues to deal with. Get them under control and then consider alternatives.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 01:24:18 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 01:58:20 pm »
 I am thinking it is impossible to go chemical free.   I plan installing a CD ozone system.

You are thinking realistically! See what the dealers are suggesting on the tubs you're considering but I think N2 is a good way to go as long as you realize you need to use some chlorine. Used in moderation chlorine is great as it does the job well and done right won't give you that "public spa" feel where you think you're soaking in chemicals.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 01:58:50 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

JS

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:54:26 pm »
 ???

Hi everyone.

We saw a great deal on a 2 year old Sundance Cameo on EBay, checked it out in person, bid and won it!   We can’t wait; it’s being moved to us next week!  We are now trying to figure out what chems to use, our tub does not have a Ozoneator and we will not add one right away (if at all).

We see so many opinions of what chem’s. to use.  It seems everyone has their favorite.  

What do the majority of people use?  Chlorine or Bromine or other?  We tend to believe to go with the majority for things we are unfamiliar with – normally, the majority have good reason for doing what they are doing.

From the initial investigating, it looks like chlorine based seems the suggestion to get started with as most feel it is the easiest for a beginner and does a great job.   We hate the chlorine smell though, and were hoping to use something else even if we have to put in a little extra time and $$, as long as it works well and doesn’t hurt the tub.

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks for any suggestions.
John

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 03:03:48 pm »
We use Baquaspa, it was what our dealer recommended and started us with.  We are very satisfied with the water quailty.  I'm sure we are not any where near the majority using this system, but so far we will be stick with it.  

I also suspect Baqua isn't the least expensive chemical program.   Seems to be a mixed opinion on using Baqua with ozone.  Our dealer said not to use ozone with Baqua.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 03:05:55 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

chaz

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 06:22:19 pm »
JS,

If you decide to go with chlorine I would suggest you read post on rhtubs.com from Northman and Vermonter.  They were a big help to this newbie as well.  I would suggest you spring for the Taylor's Test Kit also.  Those darn test strips were the root of my problems to begin with, things have gone much better since I got a reliable test kit.

Any way you go just be patient, stick with it for a while before you decide to switch to something else and give yourself the chance to become familiar with you water and how it reacts.  If you have a HS dealer nearby that you will be getting chemicals from take your water in to have it tested before your spa comes and he can help direct you too.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 05:29:43 pm »
You are best off to go with the chemical system that your dealer suggests.

After you get a feel for balancing and maintaining your water then you might want to experiment with other systems.

There is a learning curve when you first get started unless you have had previous experience with hot tub ownership.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 05:29:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42