What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Does Nature2 actually work?  (Read 6850 times)

Electro

Does Nature2 actually work?
« on: May 29, 2004, 05:27:21 am »
Hi Guys,

I recently decided to use Nature2, in conjunction with diChlor and ozone.  This decision was based in large part on many favorable posts and my perception that there is good peer-reviewed science behind Nature2.

Imagine my surprise to find this is not correct.  In response to my request for information substantiating the manufacturer's claims for Nature2, the Zodiac Pool Company, Inc. sent me a 3 page report that summarized 5 studies.  The summary report seemed to represent these 5 studies as the scientific basis proving Nature2 works.

Then, I asked them to supply the detailed studies.  They refused and indicated they were proprietary.  This is patently absurd, of course.

On the one hand, Zodiac contended proof that Nature2 works is to be found in various scientific studies.  But the studies are proprietary and not available.  

Thus, it appears to me that Nature2 is like the Eco One product, in that its manufacturer makes claims that they refuse to or cannot back up with scientific proof.

The main "proof" that Nature2 works supposedly is found in two "independent" studies by the Shuster Laboratories of Canton, Massachusetts.  My review of the shusterlabs web site was revealing.  It appears that Shuster Labs is an "independent" lab for hire - tell us what you want to find or prove or manufacture, and we'll give you a report to back it up.

If Nature2 actually works, how do you know?  The cruz of the problem is to find out whether Nature2 puts enough of the silver ions into solution to match the levels required for disinfection in actual scientific studies at major universities.  That level is in the range of 2 to 200 ppb, when residual free chlorine is at or above about 0.01 to 0.5 ppm.  Each university research study was different, and the concentrations of free chlorine and silver ions varied over 2 orders of magnitude.

What do you think about this?  If you use Nature2, how do you know whether it really works or not?

Electro

Hot Tub Forum

Does Nature2 actually work?
« on: May 29, 2004, 05:27:21 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Does Nature2 actually work?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 08:21:28 am »
What do you think about this?  If you use Nature2, how do you know whether it really works or not?

Electro

There is a lot in this industry where people will spout that it is a scientific fact regarding something, but that scientific test haven't been done in the particular application where the product is getting marketed.  Ozone is another example. Its a scientific fact that ozone kills bacteria, but I've never seen test that show what levels the ozone has to be at in water to be effective and exactly how much ozone most tub systems deliver.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 06:01:09 pm »
Nature 2 is manufactured by Zodiak.  Here is their web site:
http://www.nature2.com/about.asp

Electro

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 11:50:27 pm »
Zz
Asleep at the go.  Catch those z's online.
I do believe we know who makes the stuff and where they are.  What we don't know is whether there is any proof that it works as advertised.
Electro

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 01:08:59 am »
Zz

I do believe we know who makes the stuff and where they are.  What we don't know is whether there is any proof that it works as advertised.
Electro

Sorry Electro I did mean to insult you.  I posted Zodiac's site so the rest of us could read their claims for their product.  I do not use this product, so I have no first hand opinion.
Regards Zz

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 01:08:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42