What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying now and need advice  (Read 6341 times)

Holly

Buying now and need advice
« on: May 27, 2004, 05:56:00 pm »
Hello, all.  Great forum and I'm glad I found you!  I need some advice based on my circumstances as follows:

I'm having a home built now.  There will be a hot tub installed, recessed, on a second story deck.  The builder will take care of whatever's needed for weight bearing support, etc., so that's not an issue.   He needs me to make a purchase selection asap as they're getting close to building the deck and need dimensions of the hot tub.

I'm an older widow with some medical issues.  So, my biggest priority in selecting a hot tub is ease of use and lowest needs for routine maintentance.  I'll most likely have to pay someone to do such things as emptying/refilling/cleaning of the tub and would like the lowest frequency of those needs.   What types of things should I be looking for that will help fill these needs?

Are there dealers that offer complete preventative  maintenance packages, such as regularly sheduled emptying/refilling/cleaning types of things?

Again, due to my medical situation, I'd need the cover to be very easy for a small, older woman to manage by herself.  Advice about this?

I also have chemical sensitivities and the least amount of chemical use would be best for my health.   What type of filtration/sanitization system might fit well with this?

The hot tub will be used mostly by one person (me!), perhaps occasionally would need to accomodate 2-3 people, so it doesn't need to be a BIG hot tub.   But, I do want quality, reliability and durability.

Based on these priorities, what suggestions might you have to narrow it down to a few manufacturers and models I should look at?  And, what options should I be considering?

Thank you in advance for whatever assistance you can provide.  BTW, I live in Spokane, Washington if that helps.  

Hot Tub Forum

Buying now and need advice
« on: May 27, 2004, 05:56:00 pm »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Re: Buying now and need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 06:29:14 pm »
I strongly suggest you find a dealer who has been in business for a long time with a good reputation that is honest and responsive to your needs.  This could be more important to you than the make of tub you buy.

A good dealer will be able to service your water maintenance regarding chemical balance, emptying, refilling cleaning etc. on site on a regular basis.

Regarding lifting the cover, there are cover lifters available, some with gas shocks.  You need to consult your dealer.

Chemicals.  You might want to look into an ozinator, which will greatly reduce (but not completely eliminate) the use of chemicals.  Again consult your dealer.

Quality hot tubs I would recommend are Beachcomber, Marquis, Caldera, Hotspring and Sundance.  You will have to decide weather you want a lounge or not before a model could be suggested.

Please read my post “How to negotiate and buy a hot tub” for a list of standard and extra things you might want to order with your hot tub

I hope this will help and wish you luck on your quest for a new hot tub.

Regards, Zz
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 03:53:00 am by ZzTop »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 06:53:13 pm »
 Congradulation Holly on your new home and new spa!
I'll be honest with you I don't like to see hottubs recessed into decks. I understand why people want to do that, but my recomendation is a against it. The two reasons are service and portability.
 If your deck design can include removable panels should any service issues arrive I'm more for it.
 The next problem can be if you ever get a different spa with different dimensions than the one you have, you may have to modify your deck. That can be expensive depending on the materials you are using.
 You may sell your home and heaven forbid, the new owner's may not want a spa. Now they have a hole in the deck to patch.
 As always, if that is what the customer wants thats what we will do. But I feel like it would be a diservice not to voice my concerns. Good luck on your decision...
                                             Spahappy

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 08:51:36 pm »
I second the warning about sinking a spa into a deck.  If you do this, be sure your spa can be accessed for service.  
Our neighbor had her spa sunk into her deck, and darned if I can see how a service person can get to it.  
Maybe she has accesses built in some how, but it doesn't look like it to me.
Brewman
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 09:03:14 pm »
BTW, I find it MUCH more functional to not sink the spa all the way into the deck but rather to leave it exposed 8-16" above the deck floor. This makes it much easier to get into and out of AND allows you to install a cover lifter. I've seen it done both ways and while it looks great to some to sink it all the way it just doesn't work as well IMO.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 09:44:03 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 09:08:58 pm »
I sank my tub 18'' into my deck which leaves about 19'' of tub exposed with a full access on the main side which holds all of the mechnicals. it makes it much easier getting in and out of the tub and much more attractive from my deck.  

The other three sides could all be accessed if it came down to it but would require a bit more work.  Lot,s of planning before building but the end product is perfect.

My recommendation is don't be afraid to build it in but like the experienced fellows before me said, from their vantage point in servicing, access is a must.

Holly

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 10:41:26 pm »
Thanks, all, for the great replies.    ZzTop (great nick!  I've seen the band live a few times), I notice you didn't mention Dimension One.  That's one of the dealers I was planning to visit since they're the closest to my home and have been in business here for a long time.  Have you heard of problems with their products?  

If I've understood your reply correctly, provided I get a reputable dealer for one of the best manufacturers, would all the hot tubs have about equal ease and frequency of routine maintenance?  I'd figured a CD ozinator might reduce the need of chemicals.  I've heard there are two kinds of CD ozinators, a chip-type and a cell-type, with the latter requiring less maintenance.  Is that true?  Do all the top tier manufacturers have this option, and the option of the cover lifter with gas shocks?

Spahappy, in regards to sinking the hot tub in the deck,  my builder was planning to leave it exposed at the top to the extent that I could have one foot on the deck and the other foot on the chair of the tub and be standing level, if that makes sense.   Since it's a second story deck, the rest of the hot tub would be completely exposed under the deck.  From the ground beneath the deck you'd be looking up at the bottom of the tub about two feet or so above your head.   Does this sound like it would provide enough access for service?  

Good point about the issue of perhaps someday wanting to replace the hot tub with one of different dimensions.  I will give that some thought, thank you.  At least I don't have to worry about resale and a new owner not wanting a hot tub.  This will be my last home.  Thanks for the congratulations, I couldn't be more excited about this.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 12:55:39 am »
Thanks, all, for the great replies.    ZzTop (great nick!  I've seen the band live a few times), I notice you didn't mention Dimension One.  That's one of the dealers I was planning to visit since they're the closest to my home and have been in business here for a long time.  Have you heard of problems with their products?  

If I've understood your reply correctly, provided I get a reputable dealer for one of the best manufacturers, would all the hot tubs have about equal ease and frequency of routine maintenance?  I'd figured a CD ozinator might reduce the need of chemicals.  I've heard there are two kinds of CD ozinators, a chip-type and a cell-type, with the latter requiring less maintenance.  Is that true?  Do all the top tier manufacturers have this option, and the option of the cover lifter with gas shocks?

Holly,  Dimension One is on my top 6 list and is a very good product.  Having a dealer near by is a real plus.

Yes all of the tubs are about equal in ease and frequency of routine maintenance.

Re Ozinators, Yes most all the top tier manufacturers offer this option.  The cd type seems to be the most popular.  Again I suggest you discuss this with your dealer.

The cover lifter is an aftermarket item.  You need to discuss this with the dealer you choose to buy from and get whatever mounting and clearance information you will require for installation and to make it work.  Note there will probaby will be a clearance issue that you must be aware of and discuss with your builder after you get installation and mounting information from your dealer.

Regards, Zz

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 12:55:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42