What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Grandee not heating  (Read 14911 times)

gleb

Hot Springs Grandee not heating
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:35:09 pm »
Hi,
I have a problem with HorSprings Grandee spa, made around 2003. (just in case, SN GQ4C1137, 230V).
After I replaced the water and filters a month ago I noticed the tub is not heating.
Took the front panel off IQ2020 control panel and found the heater relay board completely fried. Like no pictures on the internet - it was so bad that everything was covered with black soot.
I replaced the heater board, I believe wired it correctly.
Powered it up - Red Power light is constant ON on the main board of IQ 2020.
Reset the manual reset switch (I have older No Fault 6000 IHH-6000-NHCW with manual reset switch).
Still HTR LED is OFF (it used to come ON after resetting the manual switch). Also tested, there is no voltage between H1 and H2 terminals on the heater relay board.
Green Lim OK light is ON.
There are two thermistors, one labeled T-Stat, another HI-LIMIT, both reading 13kOhm.
I can feel the circulation pump running, the jets come ON, the illumination light comes ON.
Just not heating.

Just one more piece of info. When I first turn the power ON (via circuit breakers), the jets would not come ON untill I turn the illumination ON and then OFF again). I don't remember this being so before the heater board got fried.
I would appreciate any advice.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Grandee not heating
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:35:09 pm »

d00nut

Re: Hot Springs Grandee not heating
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:03 pm »
Your Serial number indicates that your tub is a 2001 Grandee.  Although, function wise doesn't make a difference.

First thing I'd do is check your wiring again.  However, I don't feel that this is your problem.  Did you use the new little screws that came with your new heater relay board?  I've seen people use the older screws to put the IQ door back on which causes problems as they can change the way your electronics act.

Realistically, with no HTR ON LED light, it sounds like a thermistor issue.  If it's not that, your control head could be bad.  I'm writing this from home so I can't look at my service books atm, but if any other HS guys want to chime in, have at it.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:26:42 pm »
Bad news for you -

It sounds like you may need to replace the whole control box AND the control head. That would be the main "IQ-2020" box and the little black box behind the control panel. Why? When a heater relay board goes bad, it usually is a money-saver because you only have to replace that board alone. It actually protects the mother board and control head. But every once in a while I come across one that "Completely fried," to use your very apt description.

What I do is to immediately check every function on the spa very carefully. If every single function works, including jet pumps on all speeds, lights with dimming, the heater LED on the mother board, the normal start-up sequence, the LED that shows if the control head is unplugged, everything - if it ALL works, then I replace just the heater relay board. But if anything is out of sorts - I describe it as the spa 'having an attitude,' or simply not functioning normally, it's a whole system replacement that is needed.

You seem to be a DIY, so you will save on labor. Just be very careful. Take pictures as you remove, and so on.

Now, more bad news - the whole IQ box comes as a complete package - WITH a new heater relay board installed. I doubt you will be able to return your nice new heater relay board...but your dealer MAY take pity on you and remove the new one for his stock and give you a price break.

And finally: why replace the control head at the same time? Because if the control head is damaged, you won't know it for sure until you plug it into your brand-new mother board and fry it. There is no other way to test it, so don't take the chance. I always replace both.

Let me know if you have trouble finding parts - I would be happy to get you a complete system and see if we could save you some money. The last one I did (with $100 labor to install and tax included) was around $1200 give or take.

You need: 73223 (IQ-2020 kit) and the control head is 73225. Also - order two new thermistors as they have changed the plug on the end of the wire - the units themselves are the same but they now plug directly onto the mother board: 39530 and 39525.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

gleb

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21:04 pm »
Thank you very much, d00nut and Chas. Yes, I think it was made in 2001, you are correct.
The problem remains with IQ 2020 front panel removed, so I doubt it is screws.
I was afraid the whole box went bad, was just grasping for straws. Well, thanks for setting me straight :)
I will do little more testing tomorrow, and then probably order a whole set as you Chas suggest. I will keep the relay board, from what I hear I might need a spare again :).
Thanks again,
Gleb

gleb

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:24:38 pm »
Oh, just one more question. Could it be the manual reset switch, that went bad? Is there an easy way to test that? Do you by any chance have specs/schematics on it?
Thanks a lot!
Gleb

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:17:12 am »
The manual reset only effects the heater, and does not feed back or alter any settings or actions in the IQ. In fact the IQ board will do all the same things even if the heater circuit breaker is off, or if the wires to the heater are taken loose.

As to saving the heater relay board - the early designs did have a high failure rate. The new design has proven to be almost bullet-proof. You should never have this issue again.

Good news!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

gleb

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:05:44 pm »
Thank you, Chas. I guess I am out of options then. Will be ordering new IQ2020 shortly.
You can get a new computer motherboard with a new I5 Intel processor for about $200, but the lowest price I can find on IQ2020 with intelligence of Z80 (if even that) is $430 :(.
Thanks, guys! Gleb

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:05:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42