What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Better price on hot tub if you pay "cash"??  (Read 6056 times)

1985forever

Better price on hot tub if you pay "cash"??
« on: April 16, 2012, 03:41:20 pm »
Two dealers have told us if we pay cash (as in a paper check, or real cash - no card swiping) that we can get a cheaper price on our tub.  Can anyone explain this?

Hot Tub Forum

Better price on hot tub if you pay "cash"??
« on: April 16, 2012, 03:41:20 pm »

pooch

Re: Better price on hot tub if you pay "cash"??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 04:43:30 pm »
I believe business have to pay a fee for credit card transactions usually around 5% or so. Paying in cash/check allows them to bypass this. I paid in cash and got a 5% discount off the final price. I waited until I negotiated a good price and asked if they would lower it even more if I paid in cash and they did.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:18:11 pm »
some dealers will offer discounts in lieu of paying CC processing fees...typical range is 3-5%

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:31:52 pm »
Two dealers have told us if we pay cash (as in a paper check, or real cash - no card swiping) that we can get a cheaper price on our tub.  Can anyone explain this?

When customers buy a spa with a CC I think dealer get charged something like 2 to 4% depending on the type card used so many will give a discount for cash/check.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

goose973

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »
I think what everybody said about the dealer having to pay transaction fees is accurate. That's why the price of gas is different sometimes paying cash vs. credit. Having said that, we just negotiated a price on a new tub and our dealer did not offer a cash discount.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:29 am »
 In order to be able to process credit cards, you must set up a merchant account. In the contract which you sign is the restriction that you WILL NOT give a cash discount. If you look around you will find the cash/credit price on gasoline was limited to stations which ran their own cards - most now take bank cards as well, and the dual pricing is gone.

I honor the contract I signed, and do not offer cash pricing. However- if you pay with a card I take full payment up front.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:02:20 pm »
In order to be able to process credit cards, you must set up a merchant account. In the contract which you sign is the restriction that you WILL NOT give a cash discount. If you look around you will find the cash/credit price on gasoline was limited to stations which ran their own cards - most now take bank cards as well, and the dual pricing is gone.

I honor the contract I signed, and do not offer cash pricing. However- if you pay with a card I take full payment up front.

HTH

8)

its good your a man of your word....however that same contract also states that you cannot have an "advertised minimum price for credit card transactions" yet 3 out of 5 of the gas stations I frequent all have a paper sign taped to the counter that states "$5 minimum on credit card transactions" which is way more of an inconvenience for dozens of people, and also taking huge money away from the CC processors on a daily basis than say 1 hot tub sale, so until they "clean up" those retailers i'm not worried much

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 02:09:02 am »
I haven't seen signs like that for a long time around here (Ventura, CA).

I had even forgotten about it - and I use my CC to buy coffee or a bit of fast food: I usually don't go over five bucks, but have never had it challenged. Hmm.

Well, I can only keep my house in order, can't worry about others' I guess.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 02:09:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42