What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions about buying "used" hot tubs  (Read 3797 times)

1985forever

Questions about buying "used" hot tubs
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:52:05 pm »
I just spotted one being sold as used, only 6 mo old, one of the exact models I am considering.  Retails for 8k, he wants 6900 for it.  Fair?  Or is it similar to driving a car off the lot, as far as what I will pay a dealer for last years model? 

Are warranties transferable?  How does this exchange work if he is paying on a loan for the spa still? 

Hot Tub Forum

Questions about buying "used" hot tubs
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:52:05 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Questions about buying "used" hot tubs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:05:52 pm »
I don't know if I would buy a tub which has not been paid off. I suppose you could talk to the loan company, and pay them directly - keep in mind:
You MUST have proof that he has paid off the loan, or they could come looking to you to pay. The tub may not be the collateral for the loan: if he has used his home for the collateral, you are fine, but again, you need PROOF of that.
And, again, you might contact the loan company directly and buy it from them with the help of the tub owner.

Virtually all spa warranties do NOT transfer to a new owner.

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

1985forever

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 02:32:26 pm »
Interesting, thanks!  I was also fearing these points.

Any thoughts on what a hot tub should we be worth "second hand" from person to person after 6 months?  8k down to 6900 seems a little optimistic for the seller.  ???

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:34:43 pm »
Interesting, thanks!  I was also fearing these points.

Any thoughts on what a hot tub should we be worth "second hand" from person to person after 6 months?  8k down to 6900 seems a little optimistic for the seller.  ???

A new one with warranty and delivery being 8k is what you are comaring it against. The waranty does not transfer which affects resale value a lot when the used tub is newer and I'm assuming you will have to move it. There is no ndustry accepted formula and condition is everything but as an estimate I'd say if its in great condition (as it should be) I would not go more than 2/3 its original value for a 6 month old tub (maybe 60% for a  1 year old). They can turn you down and hold out for more but I doubt they get much more than 2/3.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:34:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42