What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ozonaters?  (Read 14150 times)

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
ozonaters?
« on: May 24, 2004, 10:49:40 pm »
Recently got first spa 2001 tiger river bengal. Does any one have a recomendation as to what ozonater i could or should use? I have found where you plug it in to control system box.It has three wire lead post. As far as chemicals ,we are using Baqua Spa products.

Thanks Brad

Hot Tub Forum

ozonaters?
« on: May 24, 2004, 10:49:40 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: ozonaters?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 07:39:52 am »
I don't think Baqua Spa and ozone are made for each other.  We use Baqua too, and our dealer said that with Bauqa, not to use ozone.  
If you go ozone, you might need to change to a different chemical system.
I'm sure others who know more about it than I do will elaborate.
Brewman
Brewman

Electro

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 09:42:51 am »
The dealer told me that the CD ozonators, used in conjunction with baqua would result in much gunk and potentially ruining the spa.

He indicated that only UV type ozonators could be used.

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 08:15:04 pm »
ok thank you For your repplies . I was not sure if i could use an ozonater or not .   I guess I will stick with the baqua chemicals for know and see how things go with the current chemicals.

Thanks Again Guys
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 11:08:48 pm by t6texan »

Julie

• Sundance Cameo owner
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 08:50:58 pm »
The dealer told me that the CD ozonators, used in conjunction with baqua would result in much gunk and potentially ruining the spa.

He indicated that only UV type ozonators could be used.

I don't really understand why using UV ozone producing method vs CD would make a difference.  If there is a harmfull chemical reaction between Baqua and ozone, it should be there regardless of the ozone producing method.  Unless the reaction occurs during the ozone production, but at that point, the ozone is not yet in contact with the water or its chemicals, and no reaction could occur (I could be mistaken here, please someone correct me).

Any other technical/chemical hindsight here?

Starlight

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 10:20:09 pm »

I don't really understand why using UV ozone producing method vs CD would make a difference.  If there is a harmfull chemical reaction between Baqua and ozone, it should be there regardless of the ozone producing method.  Unless the reaction occurs during the ozone production, but at that point, the ozone is not yet in contact with the water or its chemicals, and no reaction could occur (I could be mistaken here, please someone correct me).

Any other technical/chemical hindsight here?

The only thing that possibly makes sense to me is that CD units can produce much higher concentrations of ozone, and that above a certain threshold ozone and Baqua do not play nice together.  In that case, it seems wiser to avoid ozone completely if using Baqua.

Starlight

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 08:20:16 am »
Our dealer said no ozone with Baqua, period.  They didn't say no uv ozone, or no cd ozone, just no ozone at all.  Of course I never questioned why......
Brewman
Brewman

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 09:31:11 am »
You can use ozone with Baqua. The older stuff no, but the newer stuff yes. That is what they told me.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

chaz

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 12:03:06 pm »
There were a lot of post regarding what chemicals to use in a tub and Baqua was pretty much on the against side.  The only reason I mention it is because on one such post it mentioned that with some manufacturers it could void the warrenty.  My dealer has been great and highly recommends its use, but I emailed the manufacturer directly and they said it would void the warrenty if smoething related to its use caused the problem.  I showed my dealer the email and they said they were suprised and that they have had a couple of warrenty issues and the manufacturer has always allowed them.

Just something to ponder.  Sorry it seems off topic, but the ozone/baqua gunk issue is where it plays in.

Julie

• Sundance Cameo owner
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 06:23:45 pm »
The only thing that possibly makes sense to me is that CD units can produce much higher concentrations of ozone, and that above a certain threshold ozone and Baqua do not play nice together.  In that case, it seems wiser to avoid ozone completely if using Baqua.

That makes sense to me too, thanks  ;).  But then, it would mean that UV ozone is not very usefull at all, if it doesn't induce much of a chemical reaction!

Starlight

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 06:54:18 pm »
That makes sense to me too, thanks  ;).  But then, it would mean that UV ozone is not very usefull at all, if it doesn't induce much of a chemical reaction!

That's definitely one possibility.  To engage in some sheer speculation, another possible scenario is that bacteria, by virtue of favored kinetics, reduction potentials, surface charge, etc., would preferentially react with ozone.  Some very knowledgable posters on other boards have indictated that they know of no scientific studies demonstrating the efficacy of ozone use in hot tubs, so I guess the best we can do is listen to the reports from the users on what did or did not work in their specific cases.  If I were to use baqua, I would not use ozone.

Starlight

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 06:54:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42