What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tarp for Spa  (Read 23701 times)

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
Tarp for Spa
« on: May 23, 2004, 05:59:36 pm »
My spa will ge outside in the elements.  I was thinking about building a tarp covering for the spa to help protect it and make the cover and spa last a little longer.

Has anyone does this?  Details?

Is there a web site where I buy one?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Tarp for Spa
« on: May 23, 2004, 05:59:36 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Tarp for Spa
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 10:06:39 pm »
Hey Dazed.

There are different was to cover a spa. Costco makes a cheaper, 4 post type of canapy that will offer protection unless the wind gets too strong. There's wooden gazebos and such but my susgestion has always been to use the spa for 6 months and see if you really want a cover for it.

I love the stars and snow while in the spa and a closure of sorts will really decrease the real benefits of having a spa outside.

After re-reading your post, I'm now questioning wether or not you're talking a tarp to go over the spa when not in use, or an actual gazebo type of cover. ???

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 12:54:34 am »
Personally, I hate the look of a tarp on a spa. I find it ironic that people put a tarp on a cover to keep it looking good. Do you really want the tarplook. I'd say, keep the cover clean and use 303 UV protectant on it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 06:15:07 am »
I use a fitted bed sheet cut to fit my cover and a good coat of tung oil on the wood siding. Once the nastys have stopped falling from the tree's I just 303 the cover a few times a year.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 07:54:27 am »
Personally, I hate the look of a tarp on a spa. I find it ironic that people put a tarp on a cover to keep it looking good. Do you really want the tarplook. I'd say, keep the cover clean and use 303 UV protectant on it.

Bingo, most spas have attractive looking cabinets and the covers are well made, its a nice looking addition to my back yard. I bought an artificial redwood cabinet as I'm not fond of refinishing.  My cover is a year old and I keep it looking fairly nice.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 04:43:34 pm »
A 10 x 10 metal and polyester Gazebo works really well and is an economical solution.  Cost 200 - 300 Cdn.
There is one thing you must be aware of thought.
MAKE SURE THAT YOUR GAZEBO IS WELL ANCHORED TO PROTECT IT FROM WIND STORMS AS THEY ARE VERY LIGHT.  I used a 24' string of blue LED Xmas lights to light the inside roof perimeter
Here is a link to the type of gazebo I am talking about:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-2830274-6884152?%5Fencoding=UTF8&alt%5Fview=images&asin=B0000E667U#images
Regards Zz
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 04:22:30 am by ZzTop »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 11:09:59 pm »
What's 303UV? Never heard of it. Is it like Armor all?
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 11:41:22 pm »

303 Aerospace Protectant is the product to use to protect from Ultraviolet damage.   Here is their Web site address:  www.303warehouse.com  and www.303-products.com

Do not use Armorall  it has been reported to destroy the stitching on the cover and you will find Black Magic to be very oily which will attact dirt.

How to protect your Hot Tub Cover.

Use 303 Protectant on the top and underside of the cover too.

303 is the best Ultraviolet protectant on the market and also  helps keep mildew from growing,  

Also use a spa blanket which keeps the moisture from getting into the cover as well as helps to insulate the tub.

If you are using a cover lifter, you can velcro it on the opening side and it will fold over with the cover when you open it which makes it easy to handle.

Another idea for storing the spa blanket is to use two plastic potato chip bag closers attached to a wall and simply hang it out of the way when you use the hot tub.  

You will find that the spa chemicals will eventually rot the spa blanket which is inexpensive and easy to replace instead of a new Hot Tub cover.

regards, Zz

« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 04:22:55 am by ZzTop »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 11:42:23 pm »

303 is a UV protectant for vinyl widely used in the spa and auto industry. Armorall should NOT be used on cover vinyl, on car leather, on tires, etc. If you ever run into someone who is an auto detailer they'll tell you that those who are in the know would never use armorall. It will cause cracking in vinyl and leather ( I believe its due to the fact it's petroleum based) so if you know someone with a crack in their car dashboard it's probably because they used armorall on it to "care" for it.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 12:02:51 am »
Kinda off topic Tech but I've been using Armor-All on my cars since I was 16 and I have never seen any cracking at all on the vinyl. I also used it on my tires until recently where I found I product that works better and last longer.

I've heard this many times about Armor-All from many people but I've had nothing but good luck with it. Just lucky I guess... ::)

Steve

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 07:13:19 am »
Steve,

It is because you continued to use the Armorall, and I'm guessing it was on a regular basis.

One problem with Armorall is the silicone.  It will attract more dust than it cleans.  It will also cause the dash, vinyl seats, etc. to crack if you discontinue use.

Since I work for an Automotive Refinish Distributor, I have dealt with a lot of detailers.  They all swear by Meguiars products.  I used the vinyl conditioner/cleaner on my cover and it worked well.  I will get some 303 and try it when I can find some.  I just had the Meguiars readily accessible to me!

I'm sorry it was off topic, but I just thought I would give my experience.
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 12:00:20 pm »
Steve,

It is because you continued to use the Armorall, and I'm guessing it was on a regular basis.

That is also what I've been told. If you use armorall you better keep using it as if you stop the material is apt to dry out and crack.

Al I know is I've run into a few detailers over my time with spas and they all stop me in mid sentence when I start to tell them what to use on the cover (& what not to use) by letting me know they already know not to use Armorall.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 04:27:08 pm »
Armorall is like Heroin. Once you start you can't stop or you will go through withdrawalls (craking, drying out.)
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 04:55:18 pm »
As I understand it (disclaimer out of the way) Armorall removes all the natural moisturizers and softeners from vinyl and replaces them with it's own. As long as you continue to use Armorall on a regular basis there's no problem, but whatever chemical Armorall uses evaporates and dissipates rather quickly, and if NOT used frequently enough the vinyl can quickly start to crack apart.

We have on a few rare occasions seen where Armorall has actually altered the color of the spa cover vinyl.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Julie

• Sundance Cameo owner
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 07:59:16 pm »
Lori, do the Meguiars products cause any addiction or stickyness like ArmorAll?  Since I haven't found any 303 protector around here yet, and it is difficult for me to order from the states (I often get problems with duties and stuff, and a chemical product would seem pretty problematic if books give me trouble!), I would like to use Meguiars.  Their products are readily available, and I already user their wax for my car, nice product!

Canadians/Quebecquers out there:  were do you buy your 303 protector?  Do yo have a Canadian online source?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 07:59:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42