What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sand grit in Bottom of Spa  (Read 18295 times)

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
Sand grit in Bottom of Spa
« on: May 24, 2004, 10:40:41 pm »
Hello im a new spa owner and am seeing sand dirt grit in bottom of spa. Guess it gets tracked in from paver patio witch has sand in cracks ???  . Does any one have an easy way to remove it from spa?

Thanks  Brad

Hot Tub Forum

Sand grit in Bottom of Spa
« on: May 24, 2004, 10:40:41 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Sand grit in Bottom of Spa
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 10:47:57 pm »
You could try siphoning.  
Also, if you put a shallow tray of water for people to step in on the way up your spa steps, it may cut down on the sand getting tracked in.
Brewman
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 11:45:51 pm »
Siphoning with a hose works but if you're like me and don't like having to pull out a hose every time there is a very effective spa device. It looks like a toy and at $30 or so you may say it seems overpriced but if you get a "grit gitter" (easily found with a search) you will find it works great and will do the job over the life of your spa.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 11:49:49 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 12:05:56 am »
The least expensive device to use is three and one half feet of cut garden hose.  Put your thumb on one end and drop the other end over the grit you want to pick up.  Take your finger off the other end, pick up the grit, put you finger back on the hose end and remove the hose and the grit.

I do not like garden hose siphons (used for swimming pools), which are hooked up to a water supply because they will introduce fresh water into your spa upsetting your chemical balance.

A turkey baster works well also.

Or try the grit gitter  See Link:
http://www.spapartsdepot.com/cgi-bin/cshop/spaparts/spapartshow.tam?xax=982561&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&category%2Ectx=Spa%20Vac

Or the Paradise Spa Vacuum, very well made but pricey.  See link: http://www.hottubessentials.ca/spa_supplies_wand_vacuum.asp

Having a foot tray of water for use before entering the spa is a great idea.

Re pavers and sand.  You can take a shop vacuum and vac up the excess sand which really helps.  I find that ants tend to push up the sand, an insecticide might solve that problem.
Regards Zz
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 04:21:08 am by ZzTop »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 12:25:17 pm »
I do not like garden hose siphons (used for swimming pools), which are hooked up to a water supply because they will introduce fresh water into your spa upsetting your chemical balance.

I suppose it might be a factor in where your tap water is in relation to ideal spa specs, but too me anytime I can add fresh water, it is a good thing lowering my TDS and putting off a water change.  Of course if I had to add a lot of chemicals to get my water back, I might agree with you.  For me, if I add a lot of fresh water, I might have to raise my alk a bit, or occasionally alk and PH, but it would be a very minor amount.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 10:54:14 pm »
I tried something new today to remove sand grit,  A turkey baster worked very well at sucking up sandy grit from spa bottom.  Was cheap enough just have to deal with the wife when she finds out its missing from cooking utensals drawer ;D.

but i do like the idea of rinsing feet off in a pan by spa steps,will incorporate that also.
Brad

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 10:54:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42