What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Setting Up A Spa  (Read 20376 times)

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
Setting Up A Spa
« on: May 25, 2004, 02:26:45 pm »
I have a quote of 7200 plus tax for a Cameo.  This figure does not include delivery since this dealer is roughly 200 miles from me.  The dealer would charge about 500 to deliver to me.

The deal includes CD ozone, led upgrade, cover, lifter, and startup chems.  BTW - Is this a good deal?

Question - I can rent a truck for 100 and go get the tub myself and install and setup myself.  How hard is this to do?  I figured that if I have to keep the water up for the life of the spa that I should be able to start it up!?!

Anyway, would you recommend me biting the bullet and paying 500 for delivery or would you do it yourself.   Time is not an issue right now.  Also, I can get enough strong backs if needed.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Setting Up A Spa
« on: May 25, 2004, 02:26:45 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Setting Up A Spa
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 02:29:03 pm »
If you decide to go and pick it yourself...try and get a truck with a lift gate on it...

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:31:12 pm »
I once helped my next door neighbour move his tub from the driveway to the backyard. In hind sight there was not enough beer and pizza to cover the damage to my back.

More importantly though, look at the clause on your warranty about self installations and coverage if something goes awry.

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 02:36:40 pm »
Thanks Mendocino.

I guess the dealer would load the tub flat onto the flat bed using a fork lift.  

I would drive home.

At home, I guess I could place spa on end while still on the truck.  Place a dolly under and then roll to lift gate - lower - and then roll to backyard.

2 or 3 guys can hop onto the truck and easliy tip the unit on end from the flat position.  How would you get dolly under it?

How much wrapping, protection, etc is on the sides of a SUndance?  I am trying to think of best way to get the spa on its side and onto a dolly with minimal scratching/damage.

Thanks

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 03:10:27 pm »
I once helped my next door neighbour move his tub from the driveway to the backyard. In hind sight there was not enough beer and pizza to cover the damage to my back.

Amen!, that brings up a question, how many people delivered your spa?  When mine finally arrived, it was two late teen, early twenties guys and I wasn't about to allow them to damage the spa before it even made it into my back yard.  In hindsite, I should have stepped back and let them.  Hard to belive people could get it off a flat bed truck (5 feet about the street) and onto a dolly, up my driveway and into the back yard.  (no clearances issues  ;D)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 03:17:39 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 03:13:28 pm »
wmccall -

So the 2 delivery people left it on your driveway?  Or did you let them take it to the backyard?

If you moved it yourself, how did you do it?  Where did u get the equipemt to do so?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 03:21:53 pm »
wmccall -

So the 2 delivery people left it on your driveway?  Or did you let them take it to the backyard?

If you moved it yourself, how did you do it?  Where did u get the equipemt to do so?

They delivered it all the way up from the truck in the street. (didn't make as big a spectacle as Lori's delivery because it was 10:30pm )  They had one guy on the truck and one guy guiding it to the dolly, which I just couldn't see happening so I stepped into help and that is where I hurt my back, helping to guide it onto the dolly.  From there two people were able to push it (one in front directing it)  on the dolly up the slight hill, around 40 feet to the backyard and then accross the grass to the slab.  I just checked Dynasty's site and didn't find the dry weight of my spa, but it is a 7 person 92x92" that holds 425 gallons.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 05:43:41 pm »
I'd say you got a good deal.
Your Cameo will weigh in at around 800 pounds, if I recall.  That is a lot of weight to move without the proper equipment.  You can check Sundance's website to get a better weight estimate if you want.
The delivery guys (2 of them) used a spa dolly and had to roll the spa down the hill in our side yard, and set it into place on the pad.  They had me help guide the dolly down the hill, just to be sure.  These guys were experts, and used a spa dolly,  but this thing really gave them a workout.  
From there, I hooked up the electrical, and followed the instruction manual to power up, and get the thing running.  Are you doing the electric hookup yourself, or will you have an electrician on hand?

For the peace of mind that hiring a pro to deliver and install, I'd say that it would be worth it.  If you or your buddies drop it wrong, you are SOL.  No warranty repairs for a botched delivery!
If your delivery guys goof, it's on their dime to fix it.  
You'd really be only spending a couple hundred extra, once you subtract the cost of the truck, gas, etc....

Look at it this way, you'd still be spending hundreds less than most people for this spa, even paying a bit extra for delivery.
Brewman

Brewman

tubin

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 05:53:07 pm »
yep, get a feel for what 8-9 hundred pounds feels like by asking to try to lift a corner of a spa...my brother and i both lifting on the same corner couldn't even cause any movement!!! :o

i had delivery included, ask for a deal, but in the end, it will probably be worth it to know you didn't flex the spa the wrong way and cause a crack in the tub somewhere...not sure if that can happen, but scares me.

also think, 800 lbs, 8 guys, still 100 pounds a piece...but the spa isn't perfectly balanced, so some will get more or less....still a huge endevour. ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 06:57:53 pm »
I don't think picking up the spa yourself and moving it into your own yard to save money is a wise idea. Beside the fact that spas are heavy and awkward to move you have to realize the guys who do this for a living have the hang of it plus if they screw up its not your fault while if you do it yourself and screw it up you'll wish you were a bystander.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

chaz

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 10:08:58 pm »
There are a lot of good opinions so far about this, but nobody has asked what your delivery situation is like; easy access to the back yard that you could drive your truck right back into, or will a crane be needed?  I think you could conceivably do it with help if the situation where right, but we need more details.

Mine had to go on its side on a dolly then up three stair to my deck, in retrospect a crane would have been the way to go.  I did learn a lot about what to look for in preperation of moving a spa.

It sounds as if you got a good deal on the tub, but if a crane is needed is that included in the $500 delivery charge?  If it is needed and is included I would definately concur with everyone else and have it delivered.

Good luck either way you are soon to be in hot tub bliss.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 10:25:45 pm »
Ask your self how much you are worth an hour. Then calculate the time you would spend (1) Renting the truck, (2) filling it with fuel(more $'s), (3) Getting it to the dealers site, (4) Waiting for the dealer to find the time to load it up, (5) Transporting it to your home (What if it's not properly secured and you have to stomp on the brakes? You KNOW that 800-900lbs doesn't stop quickly), (6) moving it around your back yard, (7) Returning the truck hopefully with no damage (more fuel), etc... 5-6 hours+? Take your annual salary (assumed over $120K year if your spending $7-8K on a spa) = $58/hour (minimum) x 6 hours = ~ $350 + $100 you mentioned yeilds $450 + a LOT of effort on your part... Pay the $500 (or negotiate him down another hun)
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 10:25:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42