What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tubs and colds  (Read 17240 times)

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Hot tubs and colds
« on: May 20, 2004, 08:51:51 am »
For some reason I have developed a cold.  :'( Personally I blame the kids. Anyways. I will discuss this with my doctor but from experience, what is are the views out there about going into a hot tub with a cold?

Wife seems to think that perhaps it is not such a good idea. I think that the heat may do me some good. She says that I just find any excuse to get into the tub  ;D.

I'm certain that I am not the only one here who has had a cold and a hot tub. How have others fared in this area? Gone in and felt better or worse?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tubs and colds
« on: May 20, 2004, 08:51:51 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Hot tubs and colds
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 11:05:49 am »
When I catch a cold, the hot tub is the first place I head for.  I find it helps with the discomfort and I think it seems to draw the cold right out of you helping to get rid of it.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 12:01:54 pm »
 Let your body tell you what to do.  If the thought of sitting in hot water appeals to you, then by all means go for it.  I just got over a mild case of pnemonia (sp?), and it seemed that breathing in the humid spa air soothed my cough for at least a couple hours.
If you have a fever, not sure if immersing yourself in hot water is a good idea, otherwise what could it hurt?

Brewman
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 12:17:48 pm »
As long as you don't let it get too hot I think it'll be fine. You might want to make sure your wife is home at the time in case you get thirsty while in there an maybe she can bring you some snacks as well since you're not feeling well and don't want to overexert yourself.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

doodoo

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 02:05:05 pm »
As long as you don't let it get too hot I think it'll be fine. You might want to make sure your wife is home at the time in case you get thirsty while in there an maybe she can bring you some snacks as well since you're not feeling well and don't want to overexert yourself.

great thinking. I feel even more feeble now. Gonna take a soak later today and milk the sympathy thing a little more. No fever just runny nose and stuffy head.

Thanks all.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 03:34:56 pm »
I'm sure glad my husband doesn't read these!  He doesn't utilize the spa like I do and he might get some bad ideas!!!  ;) ;D

LOL!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 03:39:27 pm »
One note about colds is it is very easy to spread the cold with others in the hot tub at the same time.  The hot moist air deeply inhaled is great for spreading colds around the family. We foudn that out this winter.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

doodoo

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 06:49:55 pm »
And like you Lori, I,m sure glad my wife does'nt read these either 'cause I would be servicing bad ideas. lol.

Thanks for the note Bill. I guess you live from experience which is why I wanted to ask.  I'll pass the recommendation that she stay on the other end of the tub until this passes, and that she provides all of the TLC possible.  :D

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 12:20:32 am »
Anyone want to extol the virtues of eucalyptus aromatherapy when using spa for cold treatment? LOL ;D

I can see it now.... Vick's Vaporub presents their new line of Spas....

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 07:17:13 am »
I actually considered doing that when I was trying to kick my pneumonia a few weeks ago!

Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 08:40:59 pm »
Doc (Dr. Spa - Andy) once told me that he runs the temp up higher than normal and stays in a while - I don't remember the numbers, but he said it has helped him out many times.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 08:40:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42