What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MSRP vs. Invoice  (Read 19035 times)

stagehand

MSRP vs. Invoice
« on: May 02, 2004, 03:56:07 pm »
Is there a site that, like the auto industry, shows spa invoice pricing vs. MSRP?

Don't vacuums, covers, lifters, chemicals, delivery etc. mask the real price of a spa? How about starting with a base and THEN add in items to build a price that's in the range you desire.

Hot Tub Forum

MSRP vs. Invoice
« on: May 02, 2004, 03:56:07 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: MSRP vs. Invoice
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 04:48:29 pm »
Hi...
There is not... and what it seems that many people do not understand is that here in the US the Federal Government works with the Auto manufactures to determine fair MSRP....Also all dealers no matter what part of the country they are in must pay the same for the autos..MSRP must be inside any new car on a dealers lot usually on the window....MSRP will always be the same on each dealers lot...Also the auto industry has to meet fuel standards that is why they push for example small cars as their total number of Cars/Trucks sold in a particular state must average a minimum miles per gallon for ..The spa industry is far to small for the for government to regulate in the same way.....

spaguyohio

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 09:24:15 am »
Most dealers I visited when looking for a spa earlier had the cover included in the price. Everything else was extra.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 10:51:16 am »
Hi...
There is not... and what it seems that many people do not understand is that here in the US the Federal Government works with the Auto manufactures to determine fair MSRP.........

additionally, auto dealers "pay" less than "invoice" for a vehicle
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 10:58:24 am »
You cannot compare it to the auto industry as stated before the auto industry plays a whole different game with pricing and invoiced price.

Most dealers I know deal with add the extras in at a reduced cost and if you try to buy it separate you would pay much more. Items like a steps, cover lifts, chemical kits… is stuff the whether you realize it or not is stuff you need.

I do like what this one guy does though is he gives you a choice with and without the items, but he also shows you what you would pay for the extra if you bought later.

Gary
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 10:44:54 am by Gary »
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

stagehand

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 10:20:28 pm »
Great feedback from everyone. Thank you. I feel now my strategy should be to not hammer price (well..just a little) but to pay a fair price and ask that the cover, cover-lifter, backup filter, delivery, chemicals and steps be included at no charge.  I will try this strategy tomorrow. Again, thank you for the comprehensive information.

Mike

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 10:43:40 pm »
Mike...

Good luck to you and be sure to wet test when you decide the spa you want check around here for what seems to be the fair market value of the spa you are looking at....I think that anything within 500.00 of someone elses price would be fair as what part of the country you are in will vary the price some what and also it is a little diffulcult to always compare the excat deal item for item with someone else...but you should be able to get an idea if you are close to what most people are paying.....again enjoy and good luck.... :D

stagehand

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 06:16:37 pm »
Done. I purchased a New Vita Hot Tub. Internet research puts them Top 5 in the world, Top 5 east coast, Top 10 west coast. 5 person spa MSRP $5,700, took advantage of $1,000 off aniverasry sale. Told dealer I would negotiate price or he could choose to include Tax, comp the delivery charge, comp the the cover, and include the cover lifter, got all the chemicals, and the steps. Also, received no charge back-up filters
Out the door $4,700. Naturally, I used the 2 other dealers in town as leverage. Thanks to the forum for helping me.

needaspa

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 07:38:47 pm »
I am confused stagehand.  YOu basically paid full retail on your spa!  Why didnt you negotiate?  You could have easily saved another 1000 or 2000.  The 1000 rebate came from the manufacture not the dealer.  The dealer still had ALOT of markup which you paid!

poolboy34

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 08:40:55 pm »
ok....needapsa go buy your spa and go home!!!!!!!!!!!!  Stagehand is happy with his purchase and feels he paid a fair price that benefits both parties involved.  at this rate you will NEVER own your coveted Sundance Optima.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 09:11:52 pm »
Stagehand....

Enjoy your new spa...and do yourself a big favor disregard needaspa...he forgot to mention that the 1000's of dollars you can save.... was just a number that floats in the vastness of his empty head...you see he started his search long a go and still has not brought a spa.... because the price he feels is fair is only so to himself.... enjoy the new spa...it sounds like a nice tub

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 10:45:48 pm »
He didn't even say WHICH Vita he bought. Just the number of people it seats. There's NO WAY needaspa can identify retail price from your statements. Sounds like you got what you were looking for in a name brand UNDER the magic $5K figure. That's not easy to do.  Enjoy your spa. We don't have a lot of Vita owners here so please continue to come back and tell us how you like it after you've had it a while. Congrats!
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 07:20:58 am »
Yes, Congrats on the new spa!!!

Enjoy!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

needaspa

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 08:06:15 am »
poolBOY,

'Stagehand is happy with his purchase and feels he paid a fair price that benefits both parties involved'

fair price - I dont think so!  Paying full retail!  Please stop talking like a greedy dealer!

'benefits both parties involved' - Yeah right!  An intellectual comsumer is always looking for best price.  What incentive is there for him to pay extra to benefit the dealer?  Please dont say after the sale service, repairs, etc (typical trite sales tactics).

People, people, people - Any dealer can service any spa.  Come on now, they are all the same mechanically!

needaspa

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 08:17:23 am »
dabunka,

'He didn't even say WHICH Vita he bought. Just the number of people it seats. There's NO WAY needaspa can identify retail price from your statements.'

It doesnt matter that I know that.  Do the math!  He paid 4700 for the spa.  Spas have a markup in general of 75%.  That is 3500 in markup.  Allow a fair (an generous profit of 500) profit which leaves 3000 he left on the table for the dealer to buy his porsche!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 08:17:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42