What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spot Hot Tub Insulation  (Read 23114 times)

plzwork

Hot Spot Hot Tub Insulation
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:19:19 am »
Hi all, I am a first time buyer and have been on this site just about everyday since visiting a couple of spa shops last week. After my visits and research I’m leaning towards buying a Hot Spot Relay if the lounger does well in the west test. If it doesn’t I’ll probably get the Rhythm which is basically the same tub with two seats instead of the lounger since the lounger isn’t a must for me. The Relay my dealer has is a new 2012 model whereas the Rhythm is a 2011 model. My budget is in the low 5k-ish range and he’s quoted me at $5195 for either one and that price includes delivery, cover, and steps. He’s been around since the late 80’s and has a great service technician so I feel good about these guys.

I think I’m pretty well educated on most of the Hot Spot vs Hot Spring differences except for the insulation difference. My guy says that Hot Spots use 1lb foam whereas Hot Springs uses 2lb foam. I contacted Hot Spot directly and the lady who answered said there was no difference in insulation. I then contacted another Hot Spring dealer who said that the new 2012 Hot Spots are using a new more “green” recycled something-or-other insulation method that isn’t quite foam or thermopane panels. He said whatever it was it wasn’t as good as Hot Springs but it was at least as good if not better than every other spa manufacturer out there. I asked him if it was like foam in that if it gets wet it becomes “useless” as some of the guys on this forum call it or if it was susceptible to the ant/rodent infestation/nesting issues and he said he didn’t know.

I’ve seen a lot of very knowledgeable Hot Springs guys posting here and would really appreciate a definitive explanation on the differences between the new 2012 Hot Spot insulation method, the 2011 Hot Spot insulation method (incase I go for the Rhythm), and the Hot Spring insulation method so that I can get a better understanding of the product I am purchasing.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spot Hot Tub Insulation
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:19:19 am »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Hot Spot Hot Tub Insulation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:54:50 am »
Here is how it breaks down:

2011 and previous Hot Spot models had a 1/2lb. foam....starting in 2012 and beyond they are going to a 2lb. FiberCor Insulation, its supposedly "green friendly" as well as non hazardous and non petroleum based.

Top line Hot Springs are a completely different animal, they use a 30lb in areas around the shell which aides in structural and plumbing support, then 3.5lb which encases most of the shell, some 1/2lb. for expansion, then a poured 40lb. which covers the bottom of the spa.

The 24hr circ pump also aides in energy efficiency, it helps maintain a constant temp. inside the spa which limits your heater and jet pump output.  Tech specs state the silentflo pump costs less per month to operate than (1) 40watt light-bulb.

In the end comparing the 2 is like apples to oranges and obviously the pricing reflects that, one thing I can tell you is that our customers who have been buying the rhythm/relay/tempo spas for the most part have been happy, imo it is a great value in the 5-7k range

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:40:58 pm »
Here is a (Private) link to an introduction by our national sales trainer.

Please do not post this link anywhere else.

The video says it all, except for one or two things:

HotSpring tubs rely on the foam for structural integrity, as well as insulation and sound deadening. So, FiberCor is not an option for those tubs at this point. Therefore, it is only used on the Hot Spot and Limelight tubs. The two round Hot Spots also continue to use foam, for the same reason.

http://youtu.be/KD0H8K8dfns

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

plzwork

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:48:18 pm »
Thank you for the responses TwinCities and Chas! That was a lot of useful info that I couldn’t find anywhere on my weeklong marathon of searching and reviewing. I especially enjoyed the official youtube video.

So how do I know for sure that my dealer’s Relay has this new FiberCor insulation? He says it’s a new 2012 model and proved it by showing me that the cabinet has all vertical wood panels whereas the 2011 model has vertical and horizontal wood panels. Is that enough to know that it’s a 2012 model that definitely has the FiberCor?

Also I’m having a tough time convincing him to fill the tub so I can wet test. I asked in person and over the phone and both times he said no. I then sent him an email and haven’t heard back. His argument is that if he fills it and I don’t buy it then he loses money because a future customer will expect a discount due to the fact it has been filled. He said he only fills the Hot Spring tubs. Any advice on how I should proceed?

I like the Relay and if it really is the 2012 model with the FiberCor, I might get it even if he won’t allow me to wet test. He’s giving me it at a pretty good price and between the Relay and Rhythm I still like the Relay’s semicircle of foot jets over the Rhythm’s dome. Even if the lounger isn’t great I still have 5 other seats and don’t really need the 7 seats the Rhythm provides. I like to have the option to get a nice calve massage too, plus how bad could a lounger really be? I dry tested it and I fit well in it.

Thanks again for the responses

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:11:02 am »
Thank you for the responses TwinCities and Chas! That was a lot of useful info that I couldn’t find anywhere on my weeklong marathon of searching and reviewing. I especially enjoyed the official youtube video.

So how do I know for sure that my dealer’s Relay has this new FiberCor insulation? He says it’s a new 2012 model and proved it by showing me that the cabinet has all vertical wood panels whereas the 2011 model has vertical and horizontal wood panels. Is that enough to know that it’s a 2012 model that definitely has the FiberCor?

Also I’m having a tough time convincing him to fill the tub so I can wet test. I asked in person and over the phone and both times he said no. I then sent him an email and haven’t heard back. His argument is that if he fills it and I don’t buy it then he loses money because a future customer will expect a discount due to the fact it has been filled. He said he only fills the Hot Spring tubs. Any advice on how I should proceed?

I like the Relay and if it really is the 2012 model with the FiberCor, I might get it even if he won’t allow me to wet test. He’s giving me it at a pretty good price and between the Relay and Rhythm I still like the Relay’s semicircle of foot jets over the Rhythm’s dome. Even if the lounger isn’t great I still have 5 other seats and don’t really need the 7 seats the Rhythm provides. I like to have the option to get a nice calve massage too, plus how bad could a lounger really be? I dry tested it and I fit well in it.

Thanks again for the responses

I actually have a Relay filled on my floor right now, I've sat it in and was pretty impressed...I am usually not much of a lounger guy but I find the large contour of the lounger in the relay/tempo/limelight flair to be a little more comfortable than the average lounger, the calf jets are also a nice touch. 

Also if you have concern about the year of the tub, a quick glance at the serial number inside the door will quickly identify what year the spa is...if the serial # contains a "N" it is a 2011, if it is an "O" it's a 2012...P will be next year (2013) and so on...

plzwork

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 12:28:57 am »
So, I wet tested the Relay today and the lounger was not so good. Since I was there I also wet tested the Hot Spot TX and I fell in love with the moto-massage. I was surprised how well I fit in the TX and am now seriously considering it but I have a couple of questions about it.

First, how is it insulated? Is it the same as the other Hot Spots as in if its a 2011 it has 1/2lb foam and if its a 2012 it has the new FiberCor?

Second, is it true that it's a simple plug into any outlet type of tub? My dealer showed me how since its a 115v/15a it has a regular looking plug whereas the 115v/20a plug had the two perpendicular prongs. His response to my skepticism was that all outdoor outlets are on their own line so if I make sure that the hot tub is the only thing plugged in then its like it has its own dedicated line. If it was really true that its as versatile as plug it into any outlet and its ready to go which would also result in not needing electrical work done, then I would definitely buy it. If it wasn't true then I would probably go in a different direction.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:11:28 am »
TX is insulated with FIBERCOR.

The TX has a 1000 Watt heater, and WILL plug into a 15 amp receptacle.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

julie13

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »
I am looking to remove a hot tub that is currently on my deck and replace it with a new one.  I am wondering if this would be possible, at least the removal, for my husband (and friends) to do or will it take a team of professionals.  Also, installing a new one seems like a complex task.  Do places usually charge extra for installation with the purchase of a new hot tub?  I'm looking at several different
hot tubs kansas city.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:40:41 pm by julie13 »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:49:19 pm »
I am looking to remove a hot tub that is currently on my deck and replace it with a new one.  I am wondering if this would be possible, at least the removal, for my husband (and friends) to do or will it take a team of professionals.  Also, installing a new one seems like a complex task.  Do places usually charge extra for installation with the purchase of a new hot tub?

A Sawzall will help you cut up any tub for removal. Just be careful but it doesn't take a pro to cut up a spa if its ready for the landfill.

You said "on my deck" and in such a case delivery is typically included with a spa deal. If you meant on the deck but "up some stairs" to get there or if you meant "sunken in my deck" then that requires more work and may cost a bit extra but usually nothing major. Just let the dealer know your situation.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

azloafer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 11:49:12 pm »
So, I wet tested the Relay today and the lounger was not so good. Since I was there I also wet tested the Hot Spot TX and I fell in love with the moto-massage. I was surprised how well I fit in the TX and am now seriously considering it but I have a couple of questions about it.

First, how is it insulated? Is it the same as the other Hot Spots as in if its a 2011 it has 1/2lb foam and if its a 2012 it has the new FiberCor?

Second, is it true that it's a simple plug into any outlet type of tub? My dealer showed me how since its a 115v/15a it has a regular looking plug whereas the 115v/20a plug had the two perpendicular prongs. His response to my skepticism was that all outdoor outlets are on their own line so if I make sure that the hot tub is the only thing plugged in then its like it has its own dedicated line. If it was really true that its as versatile as plug it into any outlet and its ready to go which would also result in not needing electrical work done, then I would definitely buy it. If it wasn't true then I would probably go in a different direction.

Our spa is a 115v/20a, but needing a dedicated line.  I had a electrician stop by to check the line and he said that code requires all  the outdoor electrical outlets to be separate from indoor lines.  So, if the spa is the only thing plugged in outside it is the same as the line being dedicated and you save anywhere from $600-$1000.  In our case we saved $675. Joe

Flyonthewall

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 06:21:39 pm »

Also if you have concern about the year of the tub, a quick glance at the serial number inside the door will quickly identify what year the spa is...if the serial # contains a "N" it is a 2011, if it is an "O" it's a 2012...P will be next year (2013) and so on...
they actually skip over O (too close to zero).  2012 watkin's tubs are using P.
as far as the 15 amp plug goes they call for dedicated, but it might work fine with what you have.  nothing to lose in trying it.  they should provide you with a weatherproof receptacle that will fit in an existing 2 gang box.  if you do use their receptical flip over the plug first.  it will be upside down (configured for the 20 a out of the box).
and don't fear the fibercore.  it is an advance in technology, not a cheapening of the product.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:23:28 pm by Flyonthewall »

d00nut

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »

they actually skip over O (too close to zero).  2012 watkin's tubs are using P.
as far as the 15 amp plug goes they call for dedicated, but it might work fine with what you have.  nothing to lose in trying it.  they should provide you with a weatherproof receptacle that will fit in an existing 2 gang box.  if you do use their receptical flip over the plug first.  it will be upside down (configured for the 20 a out of the box).
and don't fear the fibercore.  it is an advance in technology, not a cheapening of the product.

I went to the Hot Spring dealer conference, and I'm actually pretty excited about fibercor.  At least, as excited as you can be about insulation in your hot tub.  It looks great, benefits are great, and it's incredibly fun to play with.  Although, I don't know if I would recommend touching your eyes afterwards...

Seaturtle

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 11:31:37 am »
Hi Plzwork, I was wondering if you did buy the Rhythm. I'm considering it as well, but not sure if I should buy this one or a 7 ft model by Arctic Spas.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 04:16:50 pm »
Hi Plzwork, I was wondering if you did buy the Rhythm. I'm considering it as well, but not sure if I should buy this one or a 7 ft model by Arctic Spas.

have you sat in both? or wet tested either? what is the difference in price?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 07:14:36 pm »
For you service guys how has this been working out? Got a call about a frozen 2012 hot spot with this insulation.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 07:14:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42