What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera for short people  (Read 18591 times)

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
Caldera for short people
« on: May 19, 2004, 12:10:14 pm »
I am just starting my search, this whole thing is new to me.  I am interested in buying the best quality product, price is not as important.  Based on posts in this forum I went and looked at Caldera last night and have an appointment for a wet test on Saturday.  Unfortunately my wife lives in Boston and I live in West Palm Beach, which means she can't help.  She is 5-feet tall, I am 6-feet tall.  I noticed the Caldera seats are quite deep and wonder if any shorter people who participate here have tried Caldera and could offer an opinion about their comfort.  Thanks,

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera for short people
« on: May 19, 2004, 12:10:14 pm »

chaz

Re: Caldera for short people
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 12:33:04 pm »
Bill,

I don't know if this helps, but I bought an LA Spa HEEt about a month ago and it has been great.  They have varying sized seats:  one corner with neck and shoulders that is the wife's seat (she is 5'2") that I cannot sit in, one in the other corner for me that gives plenty of room for a six footer with the neck and shoulders as well.  It also has a nice lounger for you that may be a bit deep for her.  With all the talk about loungers around this forum lately it is probably important to mention I do not float at all unless I wear my real long, baggy swimsuit.  Also, lets just say I am not real lean which apperently has alot to do with foating as well.

Don't know much about Caldera and not sure weather LA has a dealer near you, but we are extremely please with this spa and the number of different seat and jet arrangements for varying sized people.

Good Luck and don't rush it.  Be patient and you will find one that works equally well for both you and your wife.

Chaz

PS  Hope this doesn't sound like a sales pitch.  Most of those that have been around here for at least the last few months can attest that by some of the questions I've asked that I am definately not a dealer. :)

Chris_H

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 12:47:49 pm »
Bill,
I would recommend a Hotspring Vanguard.  One of our sales representatives used to work the Watkins.  She was provided a Sovereign when she was employed by them.  She is 5'1'' and always complained that the Sovereign was a great tub except for the lounge because the lounge always made her lift out of the seat.  When Watkins and her parted ways, she bought a Hotspring Vanguard because it did not have the lounge and she knew the other seats would be comfortable for both her and her husband.
Chris H

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 01:21:40 pm »
She is 5-feet tall, I am 6-feet tall.  I noticed the Caldera seats are quite deep and wonder if any shorter people who participate here have tried Caldera and could offer an opinion about their comfort.  Thanks,

You need to realize she probably won't be able to use a lounge at her height while you're a good height to fit in a lounge. Look for a spa without a lounge or make sure the other seats in the spa are of varying height or simply look for a spa that is not too deep.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 01:57:23 pm »
Hi Bill,

Another 5'0" female here!  ;D  I didn't have Caldera in my area, but Autoplay (another poster here) bought one and told me to try it.  I ultimately went for the HotSpring Vanguard because it has 2 moto-massage seats, one is deeper than the other.  That way it was perfect, one for the hubby and one for me!  I believe Auto suggested the Utopia, but I can't remember right now!

Anyway, about  lounge.  I had difficulty in the Jacuzzi 360 from floating.  The Sovereign was a tad better, but the only lounge that worked for me was the Sundance Altamar, but it will be too small for you.  Getting a lounge that will fit you both will be difficult.

I also wet tested the LA HEET (as Chaz posted above) but being 5'0", I nearly drowned in a couple of seats.  There are some other LA models which might work better, if you want to look.

Sorry I couldn't help much on the Caldera, but there is a tub out there for both of you!!!  Maybe if you settle on a couple, she could find a place in Boston to wet test?  Just a thought!

Good luck.  Keep us posted!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 01:57:50 pm »
Our Optima has the seats at different heights.  One seat would probably be too deep for someone that height, but the others vary.  
There are also booster pillows sold, if I recall.

Brewman
Brewman

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 02:08:55 pm »
There are several good makers out there that do a good job with different seat depths....Marquis is one and also does something that I think is a bit different in that thier cool down seats are jetted.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 02:31:03 pm »
Hi Bill,

Another 5'0" female here!  ;D  !

They got tiny little hands, and tiny little feet and they drive tiny little cars that go  beep beep beep! Short people got no reason to live!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 02:31:25 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 07:12:36 pm »

They got tiny little hands, and tiny little feet and they drive tiny little cars that go  beep beep beep! Short people got no reason to live!  ;D

Yeah, and "The sun'll come out, tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be sun."

I've heard them all, wmccall!  All while sitting in my "Surrey with the Fringe on Top".

;D  :D  8)  ::)  :P

Electro

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 07:41:11 pm »
wmccall,

I got a real smile out of the short people ditty.  Hope Lori has a sense of humor.

I wonder what "The Princess of Quite Alot" really means.

Electro

poolboy34

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 12:47:59 am »
A few manufacturers ofer spas with his and hers loungers.  Coleman has a model configured this way, and the D-1 Diplomat is designed this way as well.

Lori

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 07:09:46 am »
wmccall,

I got a real smile out of the short people ditty.  Hope Lori has a sense of humor.

I wonder what "The Princess of Quite Alot" really means.

Electro

I do have a sense of humor, see above!  ;D

"Princess of quite alot" is from a Mary Englebreit print.  I have been told I'm a princess and a queen (drama queen, that is) at times.  LOL!   ::)

Actually, I feel like I have everything I could ever want or need!  I have a fabulous family and a wonderful husband, with an amazing family as well.  I have my health, I have a nice home, a good job, and great friends.  That is why I like to think of myself as "The Princess of Quite Alot".  I tease my mother and tell her she is the "Queen of Everything".

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 07:56:17 am »

Actually, I feel like I have everything I could ever want or need!  

What about a Long Horn National title?  Boy, now were off topic.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 08:26:42 am »
Yeah, ok.   :-/ I'll give you that one.  

Shoot, I'd be happy with a win over the Sooners!  ;)

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 10:51:51 am »
Thank you one and all for your answers.  Last night I did my first wet test in the Caldera and it was awesome.  I am going to try a Jacuzzi Premium tonight, and have an appointment to try a Marquis next Monday.  Perhaps over the weekend I will get to see/try a Hot Springs.  

None of the other brands mentioned (i.e. Sundance, Dimension One, LA etc.) have local dealers.  I would have to go to Miami for Sundance, which is do-able if necessary.  I am hoping that I can find something locally and since the ones mentioned are all reputed to be good, probably will do so.

By the way, the local Caldera dealer is a large chain company, Rec Warehouse, rather than a specialty shop.  The guy who helped me is a good salesman.  He did not say anything negative about competition, he did not try to bluff when he didn't know, he was very accomodating.  He told me that they contract out their service to a local guy who does nothing but service and that the relationship has been going on for 14 years.  Caldera is a new line for Rec Warehouse.  Parts would come from California in most cases.  The base of the Caldera is treated wood and would be placed over a plastic sheet(?).  My patio floor is pavers.  In South Florida that is a potential concern because of termites and water.  Can anyone comment one way or the other on any of these things?  

Regards,

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 10:51:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42