What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bachelor has Spa Fever...  (Read 25874 times)

Cajun_Mike

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Bachelor has Spa Fever...
« on: May 11, 2004, 02:38:53 pm »
36 year old divorcee with no kids and looking for a great spa to relax and entertain in.  Ive been reading this forum and another for several months and I hope to buy a new spa by the end of the year.  I have just about eliminated all spas with loungers from consideration because I'm in very good physical shape and mostly want the tub for relaxation and entertainment.  A lounger will eat up half of a spas space..  Anyways... these are the ones I am considering and I would love to get the opinions of those of you who have wet tested any of these head-to-head.  My problem is that I am in Lafayette, Louisiana and I only have a few dealers here locally.

In no particular order..

1.  Sundance Optima (dealer is 90 minutes away)
2.  Dimension One Nautilus (dealer in town)
3.  Hot Spring Vanguard (dealer in town)
4.  Caldera Niagra (no dealer but a nearby dealer can get one for me, but would have to drive many hours to wet test)
5.  Coleman C-470 or C-480. (local dealer)

Hot Tub Forum

Bachelor has Spa Fever...
« on: May 11, 2004, 02:38:53 pm »

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Bachelor has Spa Fever...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 03:06:23 pm »
My first recommendation would be to purchase from a dealer that is local to you.  With the models that you have listed I have personally wet tested the Nautilus.  One thing that I liked about the Nautilus is that all of the jets were strong in every seat at the same time, so everyone sitting in the hot tub could be getting the same pressure out of the jets.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 03:22:28 pm »
I own the Optima, didn't test any of the others on your list.  This spa is very high quality, and very powerful.  
What I also like about it is the roominess for a crowd, and the abundance of foot jets.  I'm not sure if the distance from the dealer would bother you or not.  My dealer is only a few miles up the street.
Can't comment on the others on your list.
Brewman
Brewman

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 03:28:18 pm »
The only I one I wet tested on your list is Vanguard.

I loved it (and bought it).  You have some very good manufacturers listed.  I would say, wet test the ones in your vacinity and go from there.  I didn't wet test the Optima, but the Altamar by Sundance.  

I don't think you have a bad spa on your list.

Just my opinion!!!

P.S.  How could you go by a name like Cajun_Mike and not be in Louisiana???
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 03:45:35 pm »
I wet tested the HotSpring Vanguard, the Sundance Optima, and a D1. I bought the Optima. The dealer was average distance from my house but the service was great and friendly. That is what made it for us.  ;D

You have a good list to work from. Wet test; wet test and wet test some more. That should be the best litmus test for you to go on.  

When you ge tyour tub, get a Louisiana boil going and invite your friends
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 03:47:18 pm by doodoo »

Chris_H

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 04:07:40 pm »
Cajun_Mike:
Have you thought of the Hotspring Grandee?  It would be a better party tub than the Vanguard because of its larger size.  Also, in regards to Optima/Grandee comparisons, in my opinion, the Grandee will be a better party tub because it does not have footjets directly on the floor of the spa.  This allows you to move around more freely when having many female guests in the hottub at one time.
In a direct comparison between the Vanguard and Optima, go for the Optima because of its larger size.  

I do not know much about the D1, Caldera, or the Coleman so I apologize that I could not be of anymore help.  I would rate based on reputation the D1, Caldera, Hotspring, and Sundance are top notch manufactuers.  I unfortunately cannot say the same about the Coleman spa.
Anymore questions ask away.
Chris H.

Cajun_Mike

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 07:12:37 pm »

P.S.  How could you go by a name like Cajun_Mike and not be in Louisiana???

I am in Louisiana.... Lafayette... smack dab in Cajun Country and the crawfish are still in season.  ;D

Cajun_Mike

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 07:14:40 pm »
Cajun_Mike:
Have you thought of the Hotspring Grandee?  .

I plan to go back and visit the Hot spring dealer again.  I can actually walk to his showroom from my house... about 2 miles up the road.

Cajun_Mike

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 07:40:50 pm »
I went and visited the dimension 1 dealer earlier and the guy is very knowledgable and trustworthy... was very comfortable with him and the dealership.  

He stated that he never stocks the D1 nautilus because they are hard to sell....  that everyone wants a spa with a lounger.  

If I wanted a Nautilus he would have to special order it.. so no wet test beforehand.  He had three D1 spas in stock with his best seller being the Chairman II.  I plan to go back and wet test that model.

He was very strong in his talk of D1s ultralife shell as compared to the prettier acrylic shells.  It certainly seemed durable but that plain white is boring.

Besides trying to choose between the brands above, the decision on whether to get a tub with a lounger or not is still in the back of my mind.  

I have definitely found the gazebo I want.. ;)  The Louver gazebo from Northwest  http://www.nwgazebos.com/louver.html

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 07:36:27 am »

I am in Louisiana.... Lafayette... smack dab in Cajun Country and the crawfish are still in season.  ;D

It was a joke!  ;)  Sorry, I should have clarified my statement!  LOL!  I know some crazy people from Baton Rouge!!!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 07:50:19 am »
I see you have lots of good advice so far and you have at least 3 reputable brands in town.  I would advise that being single and if you plan on entertaining don't rule out a lounger unless your going to get a really small tub.  Our spa (they aren't within 100 miles of you  :-[) seats 7 comfortably, but there are only 3 in my family. The lounger is the least used seat, but I'm still glad its there.  I use it once in awhile, and when we have guests, everyone seems to want to try it.   But I respect your logic in how much room it takes up.  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 01:30:03 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 07:57:52 am »
He stated that he never stocks the D1 nautilus because they are hard to sell....  that everyone wants a spa with a lounger.  

Interesting that he doesn't stock at least one. It may indeed be a majority of people want a lounger, but why ignore the 20-40% (wild guess) that don't.  I certainly don't think it is 90% or above of tubs that are sold with loungers.  

Of course, I don't think like a retailer, I think like a left handed person who walks into a sporting goods store and wonder why they can't carry at least one out of ten items for me.

I'm sure glad spas don't come in left or right handed models!  ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

poolboy34

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 03:29:17 pm »
Hey Cajun Mike,

Don't fret about the ultralife, D-1 now offers an acrylic pearl shell on all of their models called Platinum.  It's gorgeous, shines like the hood on a brand new car!!!!!!  Anyways, all of the brands you are looking at make great products, so whichever way you go you will get a top notch product that will last you many years.

Jason,
Store Manager for a D-1 and Caldera Dealer

Cajun_Mike

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 06:09:08 pm »
Hey Cajun Mike,

Don't fret about the ultralife, D-1 now offers an acrylic pearl shell on all of their models called Platinum.  It's gorgeous, shines like the hood on a brand new car!!!!!!

Well Well.... how come D1 hasnt updated their website?  Are these tubs with the pearl shell actually shipping or did they just show samples to dealers at a trade show or dealer meeting?   It's not on their site and it's not in the 2004 brochure that I have in front of me.

poolboy34

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 12:16:48 am »
They're shipping.  We have them on our showrrom floor, have had them since february.  D-1 is SLOWLY updating their website, and the new 2004 brochures should be out by the end of this month (so we've been told).  The reason it's taken so long for the platinum shell is b/c D-1 is making all new molds for their spas to reflect all of the changes they've made cosmetically to them.  This takes a lot of time to perfect a mold.  just be patient.  FYI you might want to wait on purchasing that nautilus as word on the street is that D-1 is redesigning it, should be available sometime this summer.  IMO, that dealer is only hurting himself by not stocking a Nautilus.  It's not the most popular model, but we always manage to sell 5-10 of them a year.  If he has a Californian, it is basically the same spa as the nautlius layout wise, only it has a lounger and the nautilus doesn't.   You should also check out D-1's @Home Hot Tub Line.  The Sojourn HP is an excelent non-lounger spa.  It's one of our best sellers.  If you have any questions please feel free to drop me a line.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 12:16:48 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42