What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: best Spa for therapy exercise?  (Read 30529 times)

tutyfrty

best Spa for therapy exercise?
« on: May 10, 2004, 10:35:37 pm »
My disabled son who lives with my husband and I, has had arthritis since he was 3 years old. He is now 35, and helping us to raise our two grandsons for the last 10 years. As a child he did not walk for 3 years after he came down with Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis, he still suffers from aches and pains and restricted joint movement in all his joints. I have a newly developed slipped disk that affects my  lower limbs with numbness, weakness and  pain, also have bad back pain most of the time. I have come into some money from a Workmans Comp claim and I want to buy the best spa possible for water therapy exercises as well as a good warm soak with great jets, for the benefit of both of us. Looking at the Maxxim by Sundance it seems to be the only spa that I have found that is designed for exercising but it is very expensive. Need a good reasonable priced (not over $5000.00?? hopefully) big spa that will allow us to exercise easily, any suggestions? thanks, Tuty

Hot Tub Forum

best Spa for therapy exercise?
« on: May 10, 2004, 10:35:37 pm »

Shut_Down_Stranger

Re: best Spa for therapy exercise?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 10:56:37 pm »
Your medical insurance may be able to cover the cost of a spa for therapy. (or at least get you a tax break)

There are spas that are specifically designed for therapy. Dimension 1 makes such a series.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 11:39:16 pm »
Please don't get oversold by some who will tell you that you need large numbers of jets in order for your tub to be therapeutic.

Much of the relief you and your son will receive from a hot tub is heat and buoyancy. I suggest finding a good local dealer that will offer you the support you require without overselling you.

You can find a good quality spa with ample jets that will give you and your son a better quality of life without having to spend huge amounts of money.

"Shut down stranger" also has a good point in regards to an insurance or government program. It would be worth looking into. I do however, disagree strongly that listing any one brand (D1 ??? ) as "more therapeutic" is erroneous wether the website says so or not! I would love to know where that tidbit of info came from? I'm willing to debate that at length.

Good luck and I wish the both of you well.

Steve                              
Beachcomber Hot Tubs

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 12:41:02 am »
If you are looking for something that is part spa for health and exercise purposes, Dimension 1 offers the Aquafit Series.

Check the web link below.

http://www.d1spas.com

I am sure there are others that make such spas, but if you are wanting something to exercise in water a "portable spa" or "hot tub" may not be the right thing.  Hey, the beer holders just don't seem to be the right thing.. ;)

Seriously, these spas are larger and deeper to allow workouts. And yes, they are more expensive.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 02:26:49 am »
I'm sure there are others that make such spas, but if you are wanting something to exercise in water a "portable spa" or "hot tub" may not be the right thing.

Exercise for the type of ailments noted requires fluid, controlled movement in hot water. Any spa offering room and depth will give the user the benefits needed for the type of relief mentioned.

Swim spas have many benefits and are great, but not for all users with an array of injuries or symptoms. Deep, roomy spas aren't necessarily more money as price is usually synonymous with quality more so.

I’m not trying to be argumentative  ::) but just trying to point out that many assume large swim spas or massive numbers of jets and horse power are recommended  for every ailment and it’s not an accurate assumption in most cases and especially when it comes to most forms of arthritis.

Steve

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 02:38:57 am »
Hi Tutyfrty....

From what I read you are looking for a spa with a budget of around 5000.00 it will be tough to find a excise spa for that price but getting a tub for therapy is doable....Steve offered some good advice...What part of the country are you from ....I am sure there would be someone here who could refer you to a good local dealer....That will do their best to try get you the most for your dollar.....I am sure the spa will help to  provide comfort to your son.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 09:31:40 am »
I agree with Steve on this one, I do not think they need an "exercise spa". With the ailments they have slow circulating hot water and buoyancy is what they need.

You should look for a spa with a whirlpool feature. Also talk to your doctor and see what he thinks you need.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 10:16:28 am »
Wow! and I though we had it tough  :P. My heart goes out to you tutyfrty. My wife came down with this disease last summer and she is only now coming to grips with it through medication and other remedies such as acupuncture and hydrotherapy.

Our family doctor recommended hydrotherapy as an excellent source of relief. We obtained a prescription so that we could claim it from our insurance (jury is still out on that one) and through income tax deduction.  Next to medication, hydrotherapy is by far the best remedy according to my wife. It allows her to completely relax before going to bed so that she can sleep right through without waking up in the middle of the night in pain.

I agree with Steve, Mendocino and Gary that what you should focus on is a tub that fits your budget as you will benefit from the hydrotherapy immensely. We looked at two models believing that we should also go for a tub that would allow us to 'work out' in it, Shut Down Stranger mentioned the D1 and we also looked at the Maxxus by Sundance. In speaking with our doctor about this, she recommended that we not purchase such a tub for Rhumatoid Arthritis given the expense but more importantly that we obtain the excersise through a qualified therapist as you can hurt yourself more if you start working out in hot water. More often than not you will not be able to feel the pain that your body would be experiencing as a result of the hot water. If you are healthy that would be a different story. Finally, I would say that you should wet test all of those available to you in your price range prior to purchase. That is by far the best barometer to what will meet your need.

Contact your insurance company if applicable to inquire about financial support.

Thanks to ZzTop - I can also share with you the following information on the tax thing if you wish to pursue it. Although it is a bit complicated and you could be better off speaking with someone who knows taxation (I did mine this year and am still dizzy from the process).
Re Income Tax write off in Canada  

Information on personal income tax deductions is accessible from the "Taxes" section of the Canada Revenue Agency Web site at the following URL:  

Line 330 – Medical Expenses  
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individuals/topics/income-tax/return/completing/deductions/lines300-350/330/menu-e.html    

Please contact the Agency for additional information. Contact information is accessible from the "Contact Us" section of the above-mentioned Web site at the following URL:  

Toll-free Telephone Numbers  
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/contact/1-800-e.html    

Information about Government of Canada programs and services can be obtained through the Government of Canada's information services:  

Internet: www.canada.gc.ca  
E-mail: sitecanadasite@canada.gc.ca  
Telephone: 1 800 O-Canada (1 800 622-6232)  
TTY: 1 800 465-7735  
Facsimile: (613) 941-1827  

« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:23:33 am by doodoo »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 10:16:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42