What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: PH Balancing  (Read 29452 times)

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
PH Balancing
« on: May 01, 2004, 01:52:39 pm »
Every time I change my water it takes two bottles of ph down and 1 1/2 bottles of calcium to bring my Alkalinity and ph and hardness in. I usually do it by added a little bit every day for around three weeks. I was wondering since I know how much it takes if I can just add one whole bottle at one time of ph down and one bottle of calcium to speed things up?

Hot Tub Forum

PH Balancing
« on: May 01, 2004, 01:52:39 pm »

tubin

Re: PH Balancing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 09:55:33 am »
have you tried adding a bottle of "perfect ph"?  i think robarb makes it.  you add a bottle to new water and it is supposed to buffer the water to the correct ph and prevent swings for the life of the water.

i didn't add my bottle the first fill up so i can't tell you how well it works, but i have seen dips in ph.

maybe someone else can chime in?

Pooldevil

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 07:45:51 am »
Hi Brian
Just do it a little at a time ....
You are after all adding ACID to the water and if this suddenly goes too high it is very corrosive both to your pump and heater !
a little and often .... well thats what my wife says anyway !
Cheers
Curt

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 11:08:13 pm »
It depends on the form of calcuim

Calcium = Water Hardness

pH Balancer = Bicarbonate/Carbonate = Alkalinity.

Generally you should add the alkalinity (pH Balancer) to the water before the adding the calcium (hardness). This way the water is buffered and can adjust to the calcium which may be acidic depending on the form.  

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 08:21:01 am »
Thanks.  It seems like it always takes me about a month to get ph down.  I am going to try and add about a 1/4 bottle at a time and see how that works.  Will slow down when I start to see a drop in ph.  It takes over a bottle before it gets down enough to where I can even get a reading.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
when I start to see a drop in ph.  It takes over a bottle before it gets down enough to where I can even get a reading.

What are you using to check your PH? Test Strips? If so try something like the Taylor test kit. I find it much easier to detect subtle changes in PH with it rather than the strips.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 01:20:09 am »
Chances are your water is naturally high in calcium and alkalinity.

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 08:15:27 am »
I am using a taylor test kit.  Its just that my ph is so high it stays on the highest scale until I get into my second bottle of ph down.  My calcium is around 30 - 40 out of the tap.

J.C.McGILLICUDDY

• ask a million questions
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 02:00:59 am »
brian tr   you might want to check this out. search for hamilton index for pool and spas.it gives quite a different perspective on ph balance.it sounds like you have fairly soft water like mine.my water reacts the same.i decided to run my ph higher rather then dump all the chemicals and worry about trying to bring it down. it  seems like your adding an awfull lot of calcium.i need about 120gms. to get it to 150ppm.i like to keep it on the low side.anyways check it out  and any other articles you find relating to it.                                                                                                                            regards  J.C.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 02:00:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42