What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Using a metal inhibitor like Metal-Gon on initial fill  (Read 4482 times)

chicy724

Using a metal inhibitor like Metal-Gon on initial fill
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:34:50 pm »
If you've read my other post, you'll see that I have had issues since filling my new spa. It was cloudy after fill up, adding chemicals, etc.
We do believe it could be the calcium, but who really knows. A second reading from the pool place showed that our chemicals were all perfectly balanced, including calcium.. somehow! Upon reading, we should have diluted the flakes first.. and in cold water. Instead, we added straight to the hot tub (hot) water. Now we have a new bottle of liquid calcium we got at the pool shop.

Anyways- I've been doing more reading and there seems to be controversy about adding a metal inhibitor like Metal-Gon. We did this initially, as it was in our start up kit and said to start with that. The stuff has a blue tint. Is it possible that this has added to our cloudy, blue-tinted water? If so, I am worried about using it again.

I am not using a pre-filter or anything. We'd rather be safe than sorry and use the Metal-Gon if it saves us from ruining our hot tub (not that we may not have already sailed that ship by the mess we've created). So, is Metal-Gon or another inhibitor worth it? Does it cause more harm than good? Or is it a GOOD thing as we initially thought?

Any tips on our second "initial" fill? When should we begin adding chems? I've read to begin at 80 degrees, but maybe we should start right away?
We are going to (after debating/deciding) add Metal-Gon, let that circulate then adjust all chems EXCEPT calcium. We plan to add calcium after a few days, when everything else is balanced- and we plan to add it over the course of a few days because we do believe the powdery mess we find on our spa surfaces is from the calcium. We MUST avoid this next time so we can actually take our "maiden soak"!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:37:38 pm by chicy724 »

Hot Tub Forum

Using a metal inhibitor like Metal-Gon on initial fill
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:34:50 pm »

tex912

Re: Using a metal inhibitor like Metal-Gon on initial fill
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:37:05 pm »
Yes. I always add a metal remover. Makes it easier for the filter to catch the minerals or iron or whatever. Then I rinse the filter afterwards because it is usually a little rusty. We have well water so yours may not be that rusty. It definatly wont make the water cloudy, although one time my wife did the initial chems after fill up and she said the water went black after adding the Metal-X, then cleared up a while later. Im still not sure what else she added to it to make it go black but it was the only time it happened.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:39:19 pm »
Are you filling with soft water? I assume you are since you are boosting calcium, if so why so many minerals present in the soft water?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:39:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42