What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just starting Hot Tub search...very confusing..where to start?  (Read 7346 times)

yardlady

I mistakenly thought buying a hot tub would be easy....It's worse than finding windows, front doors and mattresses.  At least some those have consumer reports ratings. I just started my search, I have some time  (few months) before I need make the purchase. I'm planning a back yard hardscape project and home addition, the place for the hot tub will be prepared probably before I purchase one. I was trying to figure out what brand, size etc hot tub for our plans.

I started the online research, reading your forum, few others. Im thinking of visiting a pool and spa chemical place (one that does not sell hot tubs) just to get an idea on prices of the various chemicals and filters, chat with those people about brands. Lastly I will visit the hot tub stores. I don't want to go into the stores without being prepared to ask the right questions.

Any suggestions on what I should ask, maybe links to other posts that were good for newbies, any links to consumer report type ratings not linked to a product? Im in the midwest and it looks like I have nearby, Royal Spas, Hot Spring Spas, Jacuzzi, and Sundance.  We are looking for the 6-8person size spa.

Thanks in advance,...I know these newbie questions get old...  :)

Hot Tub Forum

drblythe

Re: Just starting Hot Tub search...very confusing..where to start?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »
Hi, yardlady.  I was in your shoes a month ago and by far the best thing I did was spend many, many hours going through old posts on this forum.  The answers to your questions are all here.  Try searching "newbie advice..." etc.  There are very knowledgeable, generous people here and they aren't trying to sell you something.  I thought nothing could be more confusing than shopping for a new bed - but this is.  Good luck!  The end result will be worth it.   ;-)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:46:08 pm »
  Im in the midwest and it looks like I have nearby, Royal Spas, Hot Spring Spas, Jacuzzi, and Sundance.  We are looking for the 6-8person size spa.

Thanks in advance,...I know these newbie questions get old...  :)

My short list of preferred brands incldes Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance so I think you have some very good options available. You want a well built, fully backed brand which those are but you also want to buy from a dealer you can trust so ask lots of questions, wet test when you are down to your short list and take your time.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

yardlady

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:22:23 pm »
Thanks, I will keep reading...Great Forum!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:09:14 am »
Welcome to the forum. I do remember buying Windows, that is worse, at a hot tub store, you can get up and walk away at anytime. Sometimes getting those window salesguys out of your house was difficult.  We ended up buying our windows from one guy because I was tired of having them in my house and wanted it over.  Having time to make the purchase is a good thing.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:07:51 pm »
You know, even beyond the product selection you should also consider who you are buying from. Does the dealer have a good reputation? One of the ways you can find out is to request a list of customer referals from the dealer and ask them how they feel about the spa and the service they recieved.

Waterbug

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »
I recently purchased my 5th Hot Tub.  The first was in 1975 and was a spa, attached to an in the ground pool.  We hardly ever used the pool, but loved the spa.  The bigest factor is the dealer.  A good dealer won't sell crap and will stand by anything that they do sell.  In 1982, I had a Hot Tub crack, above the water line.  The manufacturer wanted the dealer to try to repair it.  He refused to even attempt to do it and went to bat for me 100%.  I got a new tub, with several upgardes.  NEVER buy a Hot Tub online, unless it is a local dealer. (If they are local, why would you.)  The online tub may be a little cheaper, and may have local dealers to service it, but if they didn't sell you the tub they have no reason to stand up to the manufacturer, if something goes wrong.  They are not going to place their relationship with the manufacturer on the line, over a tub that they didn't sell.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:19:06 pm »
If this is the brands you have to choose from I would look at Hot Springs, Jacuzzi ansd Sundance, I have checked out the Royals website,, Not impressed with them, what they say about there spas,,,,oh and they are the BEST!!!! The three brands listed are on my top tier listing along with D1, Marquis...as well, Its a good place to start to get ideas on here, But when you go into the different stores talk to the salesman listen to their pitch you will learn a lot, you need to feel comfortable with were you buy, the service after the sale, also you can check out spasearch.org for some ratings on tubs, better than the consumer digest best buy symbol....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

yardlady

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 06:04:35 pm »
Thanks! I have been reading and it does seem the dealer is very important to getting a good deal with customer support. I hate shopping in stores and dealing with the sales people...(no offense but I have had a few bad experiences with sales people ...windows...doors...and other home improvement projects.and of course cars...ugh.) At least they will not be in my house...I can walk out, and in my area there are lots of dealers.

I will not go with an online company.

Question about the big box stores I see mentioned in other posts... are these big box stores that sell only spas or are they the home improvement type stores that also sell spas?  I want to avoid those. I know store names can't be mentioned, just want to make sure to avoid them.

This does remind me alot of my search for a new front entry way system for my home, and the sales guys would never listen, only quoting me on the brand they wanted to sell not the brand I wanted to buy, even when I handed the brochure to them for the door I wanted and said I would never by "x" brand don't even quote it, and no doubt they did quote "x" brand and told me it was my best option for the price....

I found a dealer that only sold the brand I wanted and went with them. It took some work but almost a year after my search started I got my door..... ;D

Hope the hot tub goes smoother.....

d00nut

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 01:58:14 pm »
<---  Not all salespeople are scum...  Just saying  :-\

yardlady

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 05:40:42 pm »
Oh, I know I have had good experiences also,.... you know the saying one bad experience sticks longer with you than a good one.

I know a lot of the experts on here are sales people, and taking there own personal time to help newbies get started and understand the products.

I have yet to step into a store, so we will see how things go.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 05:40:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42