What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance circulation pump issue  (Read 12936 times)

dutchy

Sundance circulation pump issue
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:27 am »
Hello,

I am from the Netherlands, so please excuse my not so perfect English.

I have a 1997 Sundance Spa (I think it is a Cameo). It was pretty much trouble free over the past 13 years, but since a year or so I have used up 4 circulation pumps.

Each pump lasts for about a week to a month or so. The Spa's circuit breaker then cuts in and the Spa no longer has power (probably a short circuit?) After reconnecting the Spa to the power supply the "FLO" message appears and the pump is dead. With the pump not working the Spa stays connected to the power supply and the circuit breaker will not activate!

My dealer is puzzled and does not know what to do after installing 4 new pumps.

Does anybody has a suggestion what could cause this problem and ofcourse a solution??

Kind regards from Holland.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance circulation pump issue
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:27 am »

d00nut

Re: Sundance circulation pump issue
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 01:29:53 am »
So you have spent approximately $850+ on the same pump over the last year?

There is no way that is the circulation causing that to happen over and over again.

Sounds like a low voltage problem to me.  Did anything happen to your home recently before your spa starting acting up?  Lightning strike in your area maybe?

tex912

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48:56 pm »
Very similar to my problem. Just posted it. I have not figured it out either but this may save you a few steps. Check out "Mazzei Flash Reactor causing fl1 on my sundance?"  Let me know what you find out.

clover

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:13:29 pm »
the circulation pump utilizes 3/4" vinyl hose that MAY travel into the foam and then back into the EQ area.  IT IS POSSIBLE for this hose to "kink" in a turn causing a restriction to flow and thus put stress on the performance of the pump.

Suggestion, "clamp" off" the 3/4" line coming into and out of the circ pump, disconnecting the 3/4" line.  Release the "clamp" first on the suction side, and then on the return side to check and identify unrestricted water flow on the suction side and the return to inlet side.

If the circuit breaker is repeatedly tripping, remove the back of the circ pump, a single center screw, and verify that it is not wet inside the electrical circuitry end.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

dutchy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:33:29 am »
Hi clover,

I followed your suggestion and there is unrestricted waterflow.

I also removed the back of the pump and indeed it is wet?? I called my dealer and he claims the pump had to be submerged. But this should have happened over and over? The installation has not been changed over the past decade and - as stated - previously no problems what so ever.

Can the pump can get wet inside in another way?

clover

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:42:16 am »
I have experienced 3  such failures that baffled me.  I attribute the crack/leak to shipping damage prior to installation.  I have said the same thing to customers because there is no way water can get in a "closed end cap", unless it comes from inside the end cap from the water enclosure.

ChaiSTi

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 03:20:47 pm »
Are these the E14 circ. pumps?  I have replaced so many of them.  Usually, i find that a component is burned on the PCB.  I found some with water, as well.  Not exactly sure how that could happen.

dutchy

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 09:49:02 am »
No, it is not the E14 but E10 pump (brand: Laing).

The dealer has returned the last pump to the importer of Laing and according to them the pump was corroded inside and this was due to the fact the pump was floodded (submerged)??

Again I indicated nothing had changed in the position and installation of the Spa and for over 10 years the Spa and circulation pump had no real problems. So according to the importer and dealer each and every pump (last 4 or 5) had to be sitting under water?

desant89

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:17:57 pm »
Any chance that you developed a leak that may be leaking right into that area somehow?

clover

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:42:07 am »
After finding this condition twice on the same spa, a sealed tail-end, wet inside the circ, I rigged a "shower curtain" over the circ pump after drying it out and putting it back into service. 

Stangely enough, the tail end filled with water again, and I could NOT fault the user.  Analysis revealed an internal crack allowing water to seep into the closed area causing the GFCI to trip.

dutchy

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:41 am »
Hi Clover,

So if I understand you correctly it is impossible that the moisture gets in to the E10 pump from outside in? This because the pump has a "closed end cap", so it has to come from inside??

If this is correct, all 4 pumps should have had a production failure or were damaged while being transported? According to my dealer, they do not have similar problems with other customers.

Can you please let me know if I can tell my dealer the moisture should have to come from the inside?

Thanks.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:32 am »
I have replaced two pumps which had water inside and were tripping the GFI. Both were under warranty on our HotSpring tubs - but are similar to your Laing unit.

That's not a lot of pumps, but it does tell me that it certainly IS possible for an internal fault to allow water into the electrical end of the item.

Are you buying these pumps? If so, they usually have a one-year (parts) warranty.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42