What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Moving a Hot Tub: Generally How heavy is a 8' X 8' Hot Tub  (Read 64855 times)

paxthar

Moving a Hot Tub: Generally How heavy is a 8' X 8' Hot Tub
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »
Hello All,

Well I will soon be starting my used hot tub adventure.  I am just wondering how many buddies I need to bring to pick this tub up off the ground to load it onto a trailer.  Is it ok to just strap it down with tie downs for transport?  I am going to be taking it to the local Arctic Spa dealer to give it a once over for $75 bucks, figure it's money well spent.  Should be doing this in the next week, will let everyone know how it goes and what is the fallout of the checkup. 

thanks
Rob

Hot Tub Forum

Moving a Hot Tub: Generally How heavy is a 8' X 8' Hot Tub
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »

00limited7

Re: Moving a Hot Tub: Generally How heavy is a 8' X 8' Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 09:24:33 am »
I bought my 2000 Hot spring classic last fall. It took 4 guys to load it onto the trailer that I rented. I also rented 4 big rachet straps and they worked great. Just remember to remove anything that could fly off during transit (pillows, filter cover, and control panel cover). I would think the tub weighs about 400 to 600 pounds. It was a strain for 4 guys to lift my tub so I would suggest getting 6.

Good luck,
Double O
Drive it like you stole it!

just ducky

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:23:37 pm »
Don't know exactly what brand you're talking about...you only said you were taking it to an Arctic dealer to check out.  But anyway, if it's a fairly recent model, go on-line to the manufacturers website for the specifications which should list the weight.  May not be the exact same tub, but it will be in the ballpark.  The specs on our Jacuzzi that we bought about a year ago show 845 lbs dry weight.  We had 5 guys helping get it off the truck, ranging from 40 - 55 in age, and it was a breeze. 

paxthar

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:53:39 pm »
So I gathered up my 5 best buddies, rented a 8 by 10 foot flatbed trailer and went to pick up my tub.  All we had to do was tilt it on it's side....slide it between a tree and a pile of dirt, put it back down on it's base and slide it up a four foot ramp onto a deck, slide it across the deck (about 25 feet), and slide it down another 3 ft ramp and onto the trailer.  NO PROBLEM...hah.  Thank Goodness my friends were there with me!!  Got it to the Arctic Spa dealer, he said I got a pretty good deal, considering he just sold a 98 model for $4800, I paid $1300 with all the wiring and breakers.  He said that it looked properly winterized and felt that the only issue I may have is whether or not the ozonator will work.

So my hot tub adventure begins....updates will follow.

Guess a little info may help.  I bought a 2000 Arctic Spa Cub SS model, with a lounger and a "captains" chair if you want to call it.  I live in Winnipeg Manitoba.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:02:56 am »
Good luck and good news from the dealer.  I would agree there is a fair chance the ozonator won't work and I would say replacing it or not is optional, but see what the dealer will charge for that. It sounds like he is trying to establish a good relationship with you for future business. Sounds like a nice guy.  I really haven't checked on the price of replacing an ozonator, perhaps others will chime in, but I'd guess a couple hundred.  Mine probably quit working a couple of years ago, but I've never replaced it and have been fine.  If I was to need service, I'd probably get the ozonator model and advise the tech ahead of time and think about replacing it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

paxthar

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:42:03 pm »
How much is an ozonator, ballpark price?  Is this a piece of equipment that one could install on  your own?  Yah I got the feeling he was trying to establish a good relationship with me, and I do want to give him my business, seeing that I now own an Arctic Spa, and he is a Arctic dealer.  I think it would be a good thing to know my dealer well and know the tubs well, that way if I upgrade, I won't have to dilly dally around and I will know exactly what I want and am looking for.  I would imagine that seeing that I have the tub at their shop, it would be cheaper for me to get it all working and in good condition, than to take it home and then try to fix things myself only to end up having them come out to my place.

Another question, has anyone ever replaced a base of a tub or reinforced it?  This tub I bought had a chipboard base, and I am wondering if I can either replace the chipboard, or just put another layer of 3/4 preserved plywood over it and preserved wood around the outside edge of the base....

Thanks in advance...

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:04:32 pm »
How much is an ozonator, ballpark price?  Is this a piece of equipment that one could install on  your own?  Yah I got the feeling he was trying to establish a good relationship with me, and I do want to give him my business, seeing that I now own an Arctic Spa, and he is a Arctic dealer.  I think it would be a good thing to know my dealer well and know the tubs well, that way if I upgrade, I won't have to dilly dally around and I will know exactly what I want and am looking for.  I would imagine that seeing that I have the tub at their shop, it would be cheaper for me to get it all working and in good condition, than to take it home and then try to fix things myself only to end up having them come out to my place.

Another question, has anyone ever replaced a base of a tub or reinforced it?  This tub I bought had a chipboard base, and I am wondering if I can either replace the chipboard, or just put another layer of 3/4 preserved plywood over it and preserved wood around the outside edge of the base....

Thanks in advance...

There are two versions, one is cheaper but only last about 2 years (Ultra-violet or UV verison) and another that can last up to 7 years (Corona Discharge or CD version).  You can get them online for as little as $75 (UV) or $135 (CD) so if it were me, I would look to pay the Artic dealer around $125 for him to install a new UV model or $185 for a CD version.  I am not a reseller so some may want more.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:52:33 am »
There are two versions, one is cheaper but only last about 2 years (Ultra-violet or UV verison) and another that can last up to 7 years (Corona Discharge or CD version).  You can get them online for as little as $75 (UV) or $135 (CD) so if it were me, I would look to pay the Artic dealer around $125 for him to install a new UV model or $185 for a CD version.  I am not a reseller so some may want more.

All ozoantors are not alike; it'll cost more than $135 for the better CD ozonators (some require a costly chip change, some do not).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:52:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42