What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Issue with Hot Springs Spa Cover  (Read 6304 times)

jeff925

• HS Sovereign II
Issue with Hot Springs Spa Cover
« on: October 26, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »
I have a Hot spring spa I bought in Feb 2007. I use it 1-2 times a week. last night when i went to use it the cover was heavy. Water had seeped in and was actually sloshing around in the underside of the cover on both halves.

I called my Hot Springs dealer and they said the warranty on the cover had run out. and the life of a cover is 2-3 years. they said I needed to buy a new one for $399.

That seems like a pretty low life expextancey? I thought HS stand behind thier products more. Should I contact HS directly?

Hot Tub Forum

Issue with Hot Springs Spa Cover
« on: October 26, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
Re: Issue with Hot Springs Spa Cover
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:08:00 pm »
I don't think you will get anywhere with the manufacturer - but it's worth a try.

Usually when a cover takes on water we find the water is actually inside the plastic encasing the styrofoam inserts. Most times it because a customer has let the pH get low and the acid water compromises the plastic so that the styrofoam can wick up the water.

I would look for any holes in the cover. You can take out the inserts (the cover has zippers) and let them dry in the sun - then inspect the plastic to see if it is compromised - if so seal it with shipping tape.

Good Luck
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:25:49 pm »
I have a Hot spring spa I bought in Feb 2007. I use it 1-2 times a week. last night when i went to use it the cover was heavy. Water had seeped in and was actually sloshing around in the underside of the cover on both halves.

I called my Hot Springs dealer and they said the warranty on the cover had run out. and the life of a cover is 2-3 years. they said I needed to buy a new one for $399.

That seems like a pretty low life expextancey? I thought HS stand behind thier products more. Should I contact HS directly?

Some companies are better about honoring their warranty and Watkins is certainly one of them. This however is asking them to honor beyond their warranty but its worth a try because usually covers last longer than 2˝ years as yours has. Sometimes people ask how long a cover will last but its tough to say exactly so I often respond "2-6 years but most last 4 or 5". If the vinyl is in good shape you can also look to replace just the cores and reuse the vinyl so ask the dealer what that would cost.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:43:32 pm by Spatech t.u.o. »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:49:04 pm »
i would agree with spatech t.u.o on this. also a lot of manufacturers refer you to the cover manufacturers its out of there hands, you may want to followup with the company that makes theres. it may be sunstar, they are apretty good company, if it is cal covers pretty tough to get done,  hope this helps
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:28:23 pm »
They make their own covers.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 10:43:20 pm »
i would agree with spatech t.u.o on this. also a lot of manufacturers refer you to the cover manufacturers its out of there hands, you may want to followup with the company that makes theres. it may be sunstar, they are apretty good company, if it is cal covers pretty tough to get done,  hope this helps

Dr. Spa is correct, Watkins makes their own covers. 
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 08:28:50 am »
Just a suggestion because I think this has helped my cover survive..My cover is almost 4 years old and in excellent condition. I clean the top and apply the 303 regularly and I use a spa blanket. The spa blanket protects the underside of the cover from chemical deteriation as well as adding some insulating value.  Some people think the spa blanket is a pain to use, but I think it has helped my cover stay in great condition. The spa blanket doesn't have a real long life so replacing it may become a bit expensive, but I am happy NOT to have the hassel of replacing my cover yet...and looking at it right now, I probably will get many more years out of it.... ;)..

Oh and I guess I should admit, I am not good about leaving the cover off when shocking. ::).and that really contributes to the destruction of your cover..the spa blanket buffers all that chemical contact... ;)

Doc carries the spa blanket.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 03:22:02 pm »
From what you describe, it sounds like the water is trapped between the vinyl and the outer plastic barrier.  If this is the case, just completely remove the cover standing it up on its end and allow the water to drain out.  Typically if you hear the water splashing around it's not a big deal.  Just let it drain.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:43:49 am »
I don't think you will get anywhere with the manufacturer - but it's worth a try.

Usually when a cover takes on water we find the water is actually inside the plastic encasing the styrofoam inserts. Most times it because a customer has let the pH get low and the acid water compromises the plastic so that the styrofoam can wick up the water.

I would look for any holes in the cover. You can take out the inserts (the cover has zippers) and let them dry in the sun - then inspect the plastic to see if it is compromised - if so seal it with shipping tape.

Good Luck

Thanks for sharing this DIY tip--thanks! 
2005 HS Vanguard

Peteyboy

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »
My pleasure - make sure you take the time to seal the plastic VERY well - you don't want to do it twice.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 04:21:24 pm »
It wont really matter much as the packing tape will begin to fail in about a year.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Peteyboy

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 05:05:46 pm »
Good point Doc - packing tape isn't the best - any other ideas on tape?

And I think it was suggested that you can replace just the inserts.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 05:09:31 pm »
thanks dr. spa learn something new everyday... appreciate it...
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 08:01:44 am »
spa blanket
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 01:49:14 pm »
If it is out of warranty it is out of warranty, expected life of the part is irrelevant.

A consumers agrees to the terms of the warranty when they purchase the product.

>:( >:( >:( >:(
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 01:49:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42