What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Solar Electric  (Read 5405 times)

benalexe

Solar Electric
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:37:34 pm »
Anyone here have solar electric on their home.

Going to be getting it so that I can get savings on my HT!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:50:23 pm by benalexe »

Hot Tub Forum

Solar Electric
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:37:34 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Solar Electric
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 09:42:51 pm »
will you be able to generate enough electric for your tub and your home?  I have had solar domestic hot water for 23 years and just replaced my system. The new system is much more efficient and I have only had to turn on my backup 3 times this whole summer in spite of all the rain that we have had.

Have you figured out the pay back for your system? I think you are in New York..is that right? so you will get the federal tax credit and if your state has money, you can apply for that as well.  I am waiting for my state check now. I can honestly say it was a worthwhile investment. If I could afford to do PV, I would in a heartbeat!!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

benalexe

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:45:39 pm »
It is actually amazing...  a $62,000 9.840 KW system will cost me $14,901 with  about a 5 year pay back.  Shoudl generate 11.897 kwh/yr  in NY LIPA dollars it is about $2,400

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:50:26 pm »
that sounds great...It's just that $14,000.00 that I don't have right now..Lets see how long would I have to unplug my tub to pay back the $14,000?...

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 02:50:23 pm »
Check out SunPower corp. - the systems are expensive, but you do get some kind of grant from Uncle Sam. The stories I read say some people paying $400/month are now paying $400/year.
It used to be the elec company HAD to buy the unused elec. Most don't anymore.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

benalexe

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:15:39 pm »
Well 14,k but.... not really because I will not have an electric bill. so he $300 a month I was paying for electric will pay off the 14K

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:01:10 pm »
Benny, You may need a reality check. You wll generate electric when you have good degree days. When the sun is bright enough to generate all the electric that you need. But a week of cloudy weather will have you buying electric from your electric company again.

My solar hot water system was inspected last Thursday by engineers contracted by the state. They were satisfied, so hopefully I will be getting my check soon. I talked with them and may consider adding a PV system next year if the tax credits and state funds are still there. But I know realistically that with the current technology, in our part of the country, we won't be totally off the grid. In Pennsylvania any extra electric is sold back to the electric company but the inspectors didn't know if it was at the same rate that the electric company charges for electric. Probably not!!

benalexe

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 09:17:13 pm »
Unfortunately you buy it retail and sell it wholesale.  I am putting in a large system. 10 Killowatts.  a 10 Killowatt system will generate an almost 12,0000 Killowats a year.  Give or take 20%. The 20% variable is due to the sun. There is a 20% swing in sunlight from year to year.  Some years you get 20% more and some you get 20% less so it averages out.

The winter months are definitely much slower.  but.... in the summer you are generating credits.  The credits will be used in the darker winter months.  Currently the system is going to generate 2/3 electric. If I cut down my usage by 1/3  over the course of a year I will have no bill. Some months I will generate credits...other months I will use credits

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 10:02:51 pm »
That sounds great. I would love to hear the details. I have a friend who put in a system two years ago. They do pretty well, but are still not completely off the grid.  Will you be able to accomodate all of the panels on your house?

benalexe

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:05:39 pm »
yep pannels should be no prob to accomidate.  Almost all of my back will be covered.  A little of the front.  Putting  a new roof on the house on Saturday.. Then early November the installation of the panels.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:05:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42