What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What? An all-plastic spa? Hmmm...  (Read 6445 times)

zroger73

What? An all-plastic spa? Hmmm...
« on: September 14, 2009, 04:47:54 pm »
http://www.south-pacific-spas.com/

I ran across a poster on a vehicle forum I frequent who says he has owned one of these for over a year and loves it. I've never seen such! He is sold on the cover and cover lifters.

Maybe I'm behind the times, but that's just a bit too much plastic for my tastes. It looks like it belongs in the Little Tikes section of Toys-R-Us to me.

I like the idea of an injection molded "lifetime" cover, though, as I've already experienced my first odor issue recently and I've noticed what appears to be wrinkling of the "vacuum-pack" inside my cover despite the fact I religiously clean it and use the OEM cover protector. I hope that isn't a sign that it's lost its vacuum and is about ready to take on water!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:03:26 pm by zroger73 »
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Hot Tub Forum

What? An all-plastic spa? Hmmm...
« on: September 14, 2009, 04:47:54 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: What? An all-plastic spa? Hmmm...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 04:58:55 pm »
 Known as  roto-mold,  another company is FreeFlow spa's not bad spas by any means designed to be a price point plug and play spa.   

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:15:15 pm »
Known as  roto-mold,  another company is FreeFlow spa's not bad spas by any means designed to be a price point plug and play spa.   

I've seen one at a couple of shows, if I had a townhouse apartment with a fenced in area around the back door, I would consider it. (There are thousands of apartments like that around here.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:45:24 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:29:35 am »
I have to admit, I laughed out loud!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Spa...not so much but the cover concept...LOVING IT!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:42:48 pm »
I am in the process of deciding what type of cover to replace mine with and to be honest (not that I was lying previously), the cover design could be viable for existing Hot Tubs and could also eliminate not only the cover caddy contraptions (breaking, working it, etc) but also the durability concerns of 'traditional" covers.  It looks like about the only thing on the cover that would require replacing (eventually) would be the rubber seals around the perimeter of each section.  Since the sections are in two pieces, you would also alleviate the issues related to high winds blowing the cover while suspended in the Cover Caddy...

...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 11:23:54 am »
I like the warranty.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 12:07:04 pm »

The covers appear a little more durable than Stuart's sample  :)  Don't know how well they work.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 01:01:02 pm »
The covers appear a little more durable than Stuart's sample  :)  Don't know how well they work.

As far as the 2-piece cover goes, this may look good to people the same way those crazy spa caps (air pillow/covers) catch people's attention based on the look and presentation/promises but I wonder if these will perform any better than those do. I'm not so sure I trust the center section where the two halves would meet for starters. Any gap there and you'll have a problem.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 06:14:48 pm by Spatech t.u.o. »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 04:42:16 pm »

As far as teh 2-piece cover goes, this may look good to people the same way those crazy spa caps (air pillow/covers) catch people's attention based on the look and presentation/promises but I wonder if these will perform any better than those do. I'm not so sure I trust the center section where the two halves would meet for starters. Any gap there and you'll have a problem.

Good point, I would love to hear from someone who has one.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:07:28 pm »

As far as the 2-piece cover goes, this may look good to people the same way those crazy spa caps (air pillow/covers) catch people's attention based on the look and presentation/promises but I wonder if these will perform any better than those do. I'm not so sure I trust the center section where the two halves would meet for starters. Any gap there and you'll have a problem.

I noticed the rubber seals that they look like they would fill in any gaps without any real issue.  They also can't become water-logged so that means they would last longer and never become heavy.  The only "real" issue would be the method of attachment to a 3rd-party spa but I could see these replacing all spa covers going forward.  I wonder if there is a patent issue...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 12:35:36 pm »

I noticed the rubber seals that they look like they would fill in any gaps without any real issue.  They also can't become water-logged so that means they would last longer and never become heavy.  The only "real" issue would be the method of attachment to a 3rd-party spa but I could see these replacing all spa covers going forward.  I wonder if there is a patent issue...

I'm still skeptical it'll hold a seal well over time so I need more than the photo and even more than just seeing it in a showroom where you can "kick the tires" but who knows, maybe its great.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 12:35:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42