What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: It's official, I'm a dumb @ss  (Read 4523 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
It's official, I'm a dumb @ss
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:59:44 am »
My tub has a very small drain port that takes about 30 hours to drain as far as it can. On the last 2 refills, I've drained and refilled only to find I forgot to close the drain later.  Last night was the ultimate.  I remembered to close the drain and put two hoses in to refill.   About an hour later my wife asked me how the tub is going. I shoot up remembering that I was filling it. Its overflowing.  I take the cap back off and bail out around 80 gallons.  I put the cover back on and realize I left the drain open again!   Ever since I spent my 50th birthday being a pall bearer at my aunt's funeral, my mind hasn't been 100%
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:33:07 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

It's official, I'm a dumb @ss
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:59:44 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: It's official, I'm a dumb @ss
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:08:59 pm »
Don't feel bad, I do something dumb every 5 minutes according to Ol' Meanness...

By the way, we've got a couple of spammers that have posted in the spa professional forums ya'll might want to set straight.

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:11:36 pm »
Disregard last transmission....looks like you got them, although I do see another one that's pretty blatant, but that is certainly your call.

Keep up the excellent work, fellas and Miss Boni!

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:49:38 pm »
OK, Bill...I think I have you topped.  I tried to thaw my fish pond this winter by plugging in a heater. Instead, I plugged in the auxilary pump that I use to pump out the water when the pond is too full to filter properly. So at about 25 degrees all of my beautiful goldfish were flopping around in tiny puddles of water and ice!! I had pumped the pond dry!!!! In a rush to get hoses under the net I have to keep leaves out...I twisted and tore the medial and lateral meniscus (es???) in my left knee!! I only lost a few fish, probably because it was so cold that they didn't feel the stress as much,  but I had to have surgery on that knee and it is still giving me problems...so don't feel bad...I am not only dumb, I'm a hazard to wildlife and myself!! :o
Support your dealer so they can support you!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:22:25 pm »
If your spa typically takes that long to drain you might try getting ahold of the center of the drain nozzle after you open it and pull out on it to open it all the way. Should take no longer than 3 hours.

I usually leave my hose running by accident about every other time I top it off....saves me from having to change the water ;D

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:30:24 am »
lol, my last "partial" drain and fill went like this:
  • drain 3/4 of volume
  • overfill by about 30 minutes while I was distracted by the missus
  • overdrain by about 100 gallons
  • top off

TDS went from about 1800 down to 450 so I just counted that as a full drain without a shell polish.  ;D
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

zroger73

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 11:05:00 am »
It takes me about 15 minute to drain my 330 gallons. I stick one end of the big Shop Vac hose in the hot tub and momentarily connect the other end to the vacuum just long enough to get the water to flowing, then just let 'er drain. Doesn't take long! Filling is a different story. It takes 2 to 3 hours due to low flow caused by a restricted supply line that I'm too lazy to dig up and replace. So far, I've not overfilled nor forgotten to replace the drain caps.
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 12:39:59 pm »
Overfilling is a normal, AND a suggested part of quarterly maintenance. By over filling the spa any left over soap, cleaning agents or floating debris will be flushed from the surface of the water.

and I'm sticking to that story.  ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:48:43 am »
If your spa typically takes that long to drain you might try getting ahold of the center of the drain nozzle after you open it and pull out on it to open it all the way. Should take no longer than 3 hours.

I usually leave my hose running by accident about every other time I top it off....saves me from having to change the water ;D

I'll have to take another look.  My sister in law's dynasty pulls out like you describe, but mine doesn't  After removing the hose type cap, it just rotates from open to closed.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 03:11:34 pm »
We have these real nice bottom drains in the tubs I sell. But they are not real fast. So I use a swimming pool vac hose. I have a three-foot section of 1" PVC pipe with a bell end, and that fits snugly into the end of the vac hose. The pipe stays at the bottom of the tub nicely, and gives me full use of the entire length of the vac hose.

I start a siphon, and it empties a 500 gallon tub in under an hour - more like half an hour. If I am at a customer job and they have a hill or dock to drop the end of the hose off, the extra drop adds a lot of pull and really speeds things up. I can get the tub empty in 15 or 20 minutes if there is enough of a hill.

Once the water is down to the foot well, THEN the cool bottom drain comes in handy. It's nice to open it up while I suds and rinse the shell.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:53 am »
I send my 11 year old out to fill it.  He is smarter then me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42