What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tricks to getting rid of too much foam  (Read 42370 times)

michiganwinter

Tricks to getting rid of too much foam
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:19:36 pm »
Hi all, I did a search first but couldn't find anything addressing this issue. I am getting a lot of foam in the tub. The tub is getting a lot of use and I have finally managed to get the water balanced recently. Have been shocking once a week plus booster due to high usage, and have used the chlorine boost as well (Nature 2, so no bromine). The alkalinity and PH seem to be within the range on the test strips but today I had a lot of foam, and yesterday the tub had a bit of a musty odor (sweat, oils?). Is there a simple way to deal with this, remembering I am a total newb to tubbing? Can't drain and refill due to the frigid temps here too.

Hot Tub Forum

Tricks to getting rid of too much foam
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:19:36 pm »

cburk0677

Re: Tricks to getting rid of too much foam
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:54:40 pm »
I recommend doing a Chlorine shock. Put 3-4 times the normal amount of chlorine in the the tub and run the jets on high for half or so with the cover at least partially open to vent out the chlorine gases. You should also take your filters out and clean them.

If you have ozone on your tub the ozone will eventually break down foam. If your tub is getting a lot of use it is hard to keep the foam in check as perfumes, lotions, soap, shampoo, hairproducts and even washing machine detergent residue on swimsuits will cause the tub to foam up.

If it is family using the tub the most tell them to shower before using the tub or at least not put their heads under the water. Also you can wash swimsuits without soap.

If it is guests causing the problem there isn't much you can do about it. If they are attractive females tell them that swimsuits cause the foam so they are going to have to use it in the buff :o

I don't recommend using defoamer as it will get rid of the foam but cause a soap scum around the side of the tub and then also cause the water to become murky. You'll then try and use clarifier to get rid of the murkiness and in my opinion will mess up your water chemistry.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:58:08 pm by cburk0677 »
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:22:01 pm »
You could also turn all jets on high and let it foam up as much as it will. Then scoop out the foam.  ;)

As far as the musty odor goes, it might be time for a good shock treatment.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:23:48 pm by soak-king »
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

michiganwinter

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 04:29:19 pm »
Thanks, I have been shocking it and we aren't putting our suits in the wash. Guess maybe time for the super-chlorination? Is that what you mean?

The filter isn't washable per Sundance brochure. I did buy a replacement that is but we are supposed to get 6-months out of the one that comes with it and we are at just over a month...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:27:31 pm »
I would scoop the foam out and then shock with NON chlorine shock - it works great.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 07:48:28 pm »
I would scoop the foam out and then shock with NON chlorine shock - it works great.

I also scoop and shock.

michiganwinter

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 07:59:19 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll do that as soon as I get out the tub (sub zero tonight, perfect!)

michiganwinter

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:02 pm »
Actually with the wind chill it was negative 18, felt just a wee bit too cold and stayed in only 15 minutes. Too cold for foam even.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 08:18:13 am »
I make sure the water is balanced spot on (PH, ALk and CA) and I also will add a dose of "Bright and Clear" this helps colagulate all the gunk in the water. Be warned, this may also cause a lot more inital foaming, but if you scoop that out, and rinse the filter you'll be in good shape.
07 Caldera Geneva

mrpenguin

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 10:02:52 am »
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say thanks to all.   We had a bather who went in with clothing that had way too much soap in them.  Not total bubble bath, but significantly more foam.  The scooping method did wonders.  Took about 15 minutes and almost all were gone.  No need to add more chemicals or anything.  Great tip.  Now the warning of, either have no soap in clothes or be prepared to clean the tub if you ever want in again. 

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 06:53:36 pm »
Or have no clothes.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 06:53:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42