What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone heard of Pinnacle Hot Tubs?  (Read 28810 times)

suesam

Anyone heard of Pinnacle Hot Tubs?
« on: October 24, 2008, 07:59:35 am »
We have an opportunity to purchase a pinnacle hot tub from a person who says he is a wholesale dealer for housing developments. He said a customer ordered one and in this economy  changed his mind. It is less than half the price of what we would pay for one like it at the stores we have looked at. This is our first hot tub and we have no idea what we are doing. We can not find much info about pinnacles on the internet which makes us nervous.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Sue

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone heard of Pinnacle Hot Tubs?
« on: October 24, 2008, 07:59:35 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Anyone heard of Pinnacle Hot Tubs?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:44:14 am »
Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is one of the oldest SCAMS in the spa industry.  This is the method employed by the infamous Stacey Diego (Juarez, Strong, amongst numerous other aliases).  The spas are nowhere near the quality of any premium brands and are actually worth about half of what they are trying to sell it to you at a "discount".  Many people put deposits down on these spas only to have the "wholesaler" skip town with their money.  It happened to a lady that is now one of my customers a few years ago.

The criminals who engage in this type of behavior are constantly moving around the country, changing their names and the names of the spas they peddle, but the methods remain the same.

Just say NO...

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:56:21 am »
I strongly agree.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:11:48 am »
It is less than half the price of what we would pay for one [glow]like it [/glow]at the stores we have looked at.

Thanks!
Sue

That's where they get people. How do you define "like it" If you define it by size and number of jets then yes, maybe its just like another that costs much more. If you add to that part quality, workmanship, energy efficiency, warranty follow through, etc. then you'll find out just why this is so cheap. Sometimes you get what you pay for and this will be one of them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:49:59 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:54:31 am »
The "new still in wrapper" dealers around here have the story that their cousin in Florida has a warehouse of tubs he has to get rid of because he is sick and going to lose the place....geez this guy has been sick a really long time and seems to have a never ending warehouse since they have been advertizing up here for 8 years now! (Gulf Coast Spas)
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 12:02:46 pm »
A friend of mine bought a pinnacle tub from eBay without telling me. He had a problem with it so I went out to work on it for him....

As I walked across his yard looking at the tub from a distance I thought "Dang, that's a nice spa for $2800!". When I got the spa opened up I was shocked that anyone could make or sell such a piece of crap! The frame was made out of pallet wood stapled together, there was little to no insulation other than some foil bubble wrap around the outside, the jet where popping out, and the shell top lip was so uneven that the cover wouldn't seal.

He's owned it about 3 years and so far it's been down for about 6 months of that time and he's paid me almost 4K to keep it going. I could have easily charged him over 7k for all the work we've done, he built it in and just doesn't want to pull it out of the rocks.

Pinnacle is actually the name of the equipment and many fly-by-night, back ally garage spa builders call their spa that because it’s on the control panel and all the rest of the parts are generic and have no name.

You'de be better off with something from Home Depot than you would be with that.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 12:52:40 pm »
You'de be better off with something from Home Depot than you would be with that.

Worse than a Home Depot spa is like saying more annoying than Madonna.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 01:26:36 pm »
Now in all fairness to Pinnacle the spa Stuart is talking about, did not need slice valves to fix leaks.  ;D

I was out working on that tub in -2 degree temps. (the things I do for a cup of cocoa.
-SpaMan~

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 01:43:01 pm »
 We just brought a spa in on trade from nice old folks, they found it on the internet Nassau spas is what the paper work says. Never heard of them anyone here ever??  The paid 3 or 4000 we gave em 1000 for trade in towards a nice Jacuzzi J-270

Anyway the spa showed up on a big rig flatbed, they were required to sign for it before unwrapping/unloading, which was up to them.  They got the spa off the truck and the driver left as soon as it hit the ground.

Well he and the wife got it into place,he got it all wire up and full of water, this spa has at least 100 jets plus each about the size of a pencil some a bit bigger.   It also has 3 main pumps and a circ pump and pop up TV.
  It has pallet board framing a steal frame btm (cheap sq tubing type stuff) and the foil back type insulation on the side panels and a few miles of PVC tubing that runs all over the place some 2" for the pumps.

Well they got it all fired up and heated and went in for a nice relaxing soak and watch a little TV, he went to pop the TV up with the remote and guess what?   The TV wasn't there :o  The frame was there, the wires were there but no TV.  He thought he would call in the Morning and enjoyed the soak.

So morning comes he digs up the phone number calls it, were sorry will get that TV right out to you!   Well a few weeks pass and he calls again, were sorry sir must have been a miss communication,will get that TV right out to you!!

Month 3 the spa has broken down now, no heat no TV, he calls for the 3rd time and you know what he got?

Were sorry this number is no longer in service :o   :'(

So he ends up calling us we go out take a look at his spa and within a week he is the proud owner of a Jacuzzi and I have this lovely POS no insulation no TV spa in the whs for those that even mention they are looking at buying a spa on the internet.  ;D

All in all I fell really sorry for these folks and we did give them a good deal trade in wise and the new spa they bought.

I wonder how many other people out there are sucking these things up?  My guess is quite a few, I am sure the company is still making spas just under a different name and number.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:37:01 pm »
We had a customer that purchased a hot tub online...it came out of China...it had a hydroquip pack, GE motor. Many pencil jets..about 50 which the 2 hp motor just did not move very much water through.

Now get this....the insulation was black garbage bags, cheap ones at that sprayed with foam and stapled in the cabinet. And the cabinet was like a cardboard material. The plumbing was tied up with bailing twine and the ends of vinyl that went no where had screws siliconed in them. It was the worst tub I have ever seen. It was called a King Louie.

Needless to say it died 6 months after she bought it, in the middle of winter and froze up solid. The only good part is her insurance covered to replace it.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 06:53:09 pm »
We have a guy in Colorado who rebrands tubs and actually makes them worse then when he gets them. ;D
-SpaMan~

suesam

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 08:31:57 am »
Oh my gosh thank you for saving me 4k!!! I really appreciate your responses! I was not feeling real comfortable with it which is why I was searching for info.
I am so glad I found this site!!!

Sue

cedar tub

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 10:08:40 pm »
Wow, this sounds like the spa version of the guys in the white van who were delivering a set of speakers to a restaurant and wound up with an extra set by mistake.  Instead of returning them to the warehouse, it's your lucky day   ;)
I've got wood and it's 5ft x 4ft

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 11:46:41 pm »
I had that happen to me! The guy was so sincere I had to work real hard not to laugh in his face. Oh, he was goooood.

That is so strange - the exact same story, the exact same type of merchandise. Funny how small the world is sometimes.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 12:13:37 pm »
I had that happen to me! The guy was so sincere I had to work real hard not to laugh in his face. Oh, he was goooood.

That is so strange - the exact same story, the exact same type of merchandise. Funny how small the world is sometimes.

8-)
I've had a set of those speakers for over 10 years.... :(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 12:13:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42