What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Where does Cal Spas stack up?  (Read 68529 times)

Tailhooker

Where does Cal Spas stack up?
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:37:14 pm »
Compared to Hot Spring, Caldera, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Arctic, D1, Marquis, etc.   How does Cal Spas rank against the big boys up top.  I know that they revamped their spa line (i.e. narrowed it down).  Any thoughts??? :-/

Hot Tub Forum

Where does Cal Spas stack up?
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:37:14 pm »

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
Re: Where does Cal Spas stack up?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »
They aren't nearly as bad as they used to be in the 90s.  You'll read a lot of bad reviews for them from that period so just put them in perspective.  IMHO, 1998 was a turn-around year for them.  Of course, that coincided with a change in their leadership that was much better.

They are one of the larger manufacturers.

Tailhooker

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:03:13 pm »
They aren't nearly as bad as they used to be in the 90s.  You'll read a lot of bad reviews for them from that period so just put them in perspective.  IMHO, 1998 was a turn-around year for them.  Of course, that coincided with a change in their leadership that was much better.

They are one of the larger manufacturers.
Where do we put them then, up at the top... they tout all "GE" pumps?

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 10:42:32 pm »
Where do we put them then, up at the top... they tout all "GE" pumps?

I personally am doing my best to boycott GE.  Until they quit doing business with Iran, I won't do business with them.

In addition, the Pool industry stays away from GE motors.  They have not been very good quality.  Cal uses the GE name for brand recognition/marketing purposes.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 12:51:19 am »
Based solely on my memory - which may very well be incorrect - the owner of Cal is related to the president or some upper-level manager/ceo of GE.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 01:35:43 pm »
Ask Marquis, Bullfrog and a few other what they think of GE and I sure you will not get a favorable response.

GE use to make a good motor but they are junk these days. Most manufactures fired them years ago but Cal stayed with them. A company that is willing to stay with such a bad motor tells me a lot of about the company. Tells me they are in bed with GE and that the customers do not matter. I would stay away from them.

Also the Dually pump is a stupid idea and they have lots of problems with them but still push them out the door, just so no to Dually.  ;D
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:22:53 pm »
Tailhooker.....

I purchased a new Cal a couple of years ago and I love my CalSpas tub!

Plus my CalSpas dealer has been great.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 06:44:41 pm »
Tailhooker.....

I purchased a new Cal a couple of years ago and I love my CalSpas tub!

Plus my CalSpas dealer has been great.

Your are the one, I knew there had to be a happy Cal owner out there somewhere.  ;D
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Zep

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 09:26:07 pm »
"Your are the one, I knew there had to be a happy Cal owner out there somewhere" ;D

Yeah I'm the only happy CalSpas customer...lol...thats why CalSpas just built a new $20 million plant boosting manufacturing space to 1 million square feet. Since the company was purchased by the entrepreneur Casey Loyd eight years ago, Cal Spas has tripled in size. The expansion will boost the company's total work force to 1,200. Yep I must be the only one.   ::)

Tailhooker

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:54:36 pm »
"Your are the one, I knew there had to be a happy Cal owner out there somewhere" ;D

Yeah I'm the only happy CalSpas customer...lol...thats why CalSpas just built a new $20 million plant boosting manufacturing space to 1 million square feet. Since the company was purchased by the entrepreneur Casey Loyd eight years ago, Cal Spas has tripled in size. The expansion will boost the company's total work force to 1,200. Yep I must be the only one.   ::)
All good info, I am going to try one later this week... the dealer here is pretty good.  Just tried the Sundance Cameo today.  Not bad liked the lounger.

MarKee

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:03:24 pm »
Ask Marquis, Bullfrog and a few other what they think of GE and I sure you will not get a favorable response.

GE use to make a good motor but they are junk these days. Most manufactures fired them years ago but Cal stayed with them. A company that is willing to stay with such a bad motor tells me a lot of about the company. Tells me they are in bed with GE and that the customers do not matter. I would stay away from them.

Also the Dually pump is a stupid idea and they have lots of problems with them but still push them out the door, just so no to Dually.  ;D

Gary is right.  Lots of spa companies used to use GE motors until around 2003 when thousands and thousands of them started breaking down in the field.  I think Cal might be one of the only companies still using GE.  Other than some Costco/Wal Mart spas.  

Vanguard

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 11:43:03 pm »

Gary is right.  Lots of spa companies used to use GE motors until around 2003 when thousands and thousands of them started breaking down in the field.  I think Cal might be one of the only companies still using GE.  Other than some Costco/Wal Mart spas.  

Exactly why I said the Pool industry stays away from them.  They've really never taken a foothold in the pool side of the business.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 02:13:17 pm »

So does that mean they just produce greater numbers of crappy spas?  ;) Just teasing... they aren't as bad as they use to be and the majority of the issues were focused around head office not fufilling warraty issues in the past. A change of ownership was a positive move.

IMO, I wouldn't place them in the top 10 but, as most here comment, a HUGE part of the purchase revolves around the dealer and their commitment to customer service.

Zep

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 04:58:56 pm »
"I wouldn't place them in the top 10"[/i]

Oh come on.....with over 600 retail outlets.....they aren't even in the Top 100!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 05:10:14 pm »
Oh come on.....with over 600 retail outlets.....they aren't even in the Top 100!

OK, with 600 outlets (was that pre 2008?) and their new manufacturing facility I guess I'd have to admit that they belong in the top 100!  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:12:26 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 05:10:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42