What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa cover alternative  (Read 6465 times)

gwstudios

Spa cover alternative
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:03:13 pm »
Way back when I was still mulling the idea of buying a spa, I did a lot of searching on the web. I came across a "cover" that was actually a small "dome" that fits over your spa that was like those kids IKEA tents with the two criss crossed fiberglass rods that are bent to keep the tension. It had a square base and came in two sizes and it rested on the top of the shell/spa deck with some kind of velcro system. I was made of that heavy clear plastic like they use on pool floats, etc.....

One corner unzipped and you could actually get in underneath it if you wanted. To this day, I cannot remember where I saw it but I remember being tempted to buy one before I bought the spa.

Does anyone know what I am talking about or has seen anything like this? I even think it was a UK company that made them but I can't be sure.

This would be a great way to keep some of the heat in and the wind out and also keep the snow off as it would melt instantly from the heat of the water / steam. Most of the steam would condense and roll down the edges back into the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa cover alternative
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:03:13 pm »

gwstudios

Re: Spa cover alternative
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:57 pm »
Well, it always happens this way but I went to Google images and searched for "spa dome" and I sort of found what I was talking about.

There is a "product" from a company called Rizebo at www.rizebo.com (go to the photo gallery page to see the clear dome). It looks like a one-off that this guy built and plans or planned on selling. From the looks of the pictures, his showroom is in his own tiny backyard. I am going to call the number tomorrow to see if this is actually available. The website looks very amateurish and is unfinished.

It looks like a section retracts into the dome to allow access inside. Pretty cool idea but I know the one I saw wasn't hard plastic. I'd be afraid of this thing cracking or having huge scratches that are amplified by the sunlight.

If I manage to find the one I originally saw, I'll post a link. I could only imagine what shipping would cost to get an 8' x 8' x 4' plastic dome delivered unharmed.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:29:57 pm by gwstudios »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:22:47 pm »
Are you looking to replace a insulating cover with this?

Or are you planing on supplementing the insulating cover with this?

gwstudios

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:46:22 pm »
I would want to use this as a cover for the winter. Our spa sits uncovered from March / April through November.

Our current cover weights so much, I can barely move it. I have to lift one side and flip it over, then get in the tub and lift it out from underwater. Getting it back on is even harder.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 07:32:42 pm »
Is this a built in spa or portable spa ... either way it seems you need a new insulating cover.

It would cost a fortune to heat the spa with this type of thing - double paned windows with Low E and Argon gas have an R value of 2 to 3. A single paned glass has a R value of 1 to 1 1/2.

I saw something similar once for above ground pools, I'm not sure how it was made though.

gwstudios

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 07:48:04 pm »
I know all about the cost of heating our spa. Our electric bills are more than our car payment. We also have two furnaces / air conditioners that suck down the juice like my brother-in-law at an open bar.

I'm more interested in ease of entry and using it as a windscreen for the cold months.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 07:58:49 pm »
What you might want to try as a windscreen is a section of fencing that's portable. Kind of like those bamboo screens that sit on the floor. If you made a 3 sided screen - it should work. I have my cover lift over the tub and it extends about 4 feet above the tub - when the wind blows it seems to block it effectively.

OR how about one of those removable awnings  - I've seen some with curtains that hang down - I would think that attaching plastic to the uprights would work as well.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 08:52:22 pm »
I know all about the cost of heating our spa. Our electric bills are more than our car payment. [glow]We also have two furnaces / air conditioners that suck down the juice like my brother-in-law at an open bar.[/glow]

I'm more interested in ease of entry and using it as a windscreen for the cold months.

Is SpaTech your brother-in-law ? That must cost a fortune. ;D
-SpaMan~

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 08:52:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42