What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The big ol' Maxxus  (Read 4344 times)

stevewhosau

The big ol' Maxxus
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:29:58 pm »
Looking seriously at a Sundance Maxxus. We have the room for it but before taking the dive have some concerns/comments.

1. Read some posts about the electrical bill about this bad boy. I know we're going up for having any spa but reality for added monthly costs? We have pretty hot "sun summers" and it can get cold here in the winter. Should it be a lot more that a 8'X'8 well insulated tub?

2. 3-fold cover and strut lifter. Hoping this is a great cover since it has two seams (anyone have one)? Efficiency related as above.

3. Sundance seems to use single speed pumps but I assume it must be enough for it (no filled Maxxus in our area to see it in action) although Optima was great with 2 of the same pumps.

4. First 3-wire tub I have found in my recent adventures...why are they still 3 versus the "norm 4" do you think? Speaking of wires, I'm looking at a 60 amp tub. I ran #6 wire about 120'. Where I thought I was looking at 50 amp before and now a possible 60, am I cool with the Maxxus load?

5. Thoughts from other current Maxxus owners or others who were going to purchase this but didn't?

Thanks all,
trippn

Hot Tub Forum

The big ol' Maxxus
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:29:58 pm »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
Re: The big ol' Maxxus
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:20:15 am »
We did wet test the Maxxus and it was a great tub. We were looking to wet test the Optima but couldn't. I think you would like three pumps as you can run everything at the same time with a 60 amp service. BTW my Jacuzzi J-470 has a 3 wire, 60 amp, 6 gauge service. Anyway good luck with your decision.

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

stevewhosau

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:14 am »
We've read your ordeal and know you were not too haste to pick up a tub Scott! We too started with a Radiance. In the Jacuzzi line, we like the 365.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:05:48 am by trippn »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 01:55:33 am »
We've read your ordeal and know you were not too haste to pick up a tub Scott! We too started with a Radiance. In the Jacuzzi line, we like the 365.
If I was on a tight budget I would have bought a J-365. If it had deeper seats I would have bought a BullFrog, If we had a local dealer I might have bought an Arctic. If the salesman had been less like a used car salesman I might have bought a Hot Springs. My list came down to Sundance or Jacuzzi in the end. Part of buying a tub is the journey. I'm so glad to have a tub but now I kind of miss the shopping for one. I know it sounds a bit crazy. Oh well I can still follow Chrisi's shopping experience.

Scott  ::)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:05:51 am »
4. First 3-wire tub I have found in my recent adventures...why are they still 3 versus the "norm 4" do you think? Thanks all,
trippn

They are only 3 wires because there is nothing 120v on the spa, therefore no need for the 4th wire (neutral).

toiler

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:39:58 am »
I also have a Maxxus fetish. Tried it out, liked  it a lot.  Probably would have one if we could find a crane.

I have had two hot tub techs tell me "beware once the warranty goes" and my dealer seems concerned about the cover as I keep asking questions on how I can fold it without loosing the view.  I would like to fold down and over the long side. Seems to be an issue.

Anyhow, if the dealer was slightly more aggressive I would have had one by now. I am now looking elsewhere

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:41:17 am by toiler »

stevewhosau

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:57:41 am »
Doesn't appear to be enough current owners to give me a better feeling. To let you know,  we were quoted 8995 for a 2007 floor model. I have not found one search on these (or other) forums for less than 9500 (and most nearing 11k). The price includes everything except crane charge (needed): cover, two steps, cover lifter, Sunzone, year supplies of chemicals and a decent in-store credit.

The additional 1500 over what we were looking at the Jacuzzi 365 has us second-guessing the decent price on the "hugeness" of paying more and dealing with higher operating costs on the bigger tub. Instead of biggest as possible like a TV purchase we wonder if we still would be happy with a 7.5'X7.5' or 8'X8' tub.

We will talk again soon about it...had to take a few days break.  :-?

kacrab10

• 2004 Sundance Optima
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 08:08:28 am »
If I could have purchased new the maxxus or J-480 would have been my two top choices. When I saw that monster in the showroom it called my name immediately!!!  

stevewhosau

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 01:31:59 am »
Bought the damn thing  ;)...ended up being an early 2008 model afterall. Our quest is over. Looking at craning it over late next week. Cannot wait to get the family in...drug the kids around these places for a few months.

One area of relief has lifted, next is when I know no initial problems exist on installation, fill and ultimately,  first soak.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:32:20 am by trippn »

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 10:45:08 am »
Congrats trippn on your Maxxus!!  Now you can soak like Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers!!  (our dealers out here in PA  told us he bought one! ;))

Happy tubbin'! :)
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 10:47:19 am »
Congratulations on your purchase.  The Maxxus is quite a spa.  It will cost a little more than most to run only because it holds more water.  The Maxxus is an 880 series spa which is a level up from the Jacuzzi 365.  The one speed pumps are used because this series does not use the therapy pumps for filtration.  It uses a high flow circ pump to filter and will give the same feel of water movement that a therapy pump on low would.

I don't understand a service tech warning about after warranty repairs except that Sundance, like most of the other top tier manufacturers, uses their own proprietary parts.  Quality wise, it will be running as long as anyone elses.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 10:50:52 am »
Congrats, that Maxxus is like a small swimming pool. It has a great lounger in it.
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

stevewhosau

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 01:55:23 am »
Thanks wewanna, I've read you are still deciding what to get, good luck in your endeavors.
Tony, good clarification, thanks for chiming in.

johnh

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 10:30:21 am »
Congrats, that Maxxus is like a small swimming pool. It has a great lounger in it.

Exactly my impression after wet testing it.   Its HUGE.  I loved the lounger.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »
That thing truly is a BDS. Enjoy!!

8-)

*Big Dang Spa
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42