What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ask an Arctic Dealer anything  (Read 51989 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Ask an Arctic Dealer anything
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 11:57:38 am »
<Eerie, deep voice> "My name is Legion, for I am many."  
<cue spooky music, maniacal laughter>

No, just one of me.  Do I really exist?  Gee, I can't handle deep existential questions this early on a Monday morning.  Let me get back to you on that.

If an Arctic customer complains in a forest and no one is there, does Tom still hear it?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 12:17:55 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 11:57:38 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 12:01:31 pm »
Well, I just wanted to be sure. He does a fine job around here, and several other places, so I wanted to check and be sure "he" wasn't really a group of people all signing in under an assumed name.

Like "Terminator" or something...  ;D ;D ;D

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 04:18:44 am »
So I drove 6 hours up to Salt Lake City, UT to take care of some family business. On my way back to Vegas I visited the Arctic Spa dealer. 2 tubs got my attention, the Tundra and the redesigned Yukon. Anyway I was in a hurry to get on the road and to see webboy at BullFrog that I left with a few questions.

I thought the Arctic Cooler was a very cool idea (no pun intended) because I could use my spa in the Vegas summers. So how does it work?

Next question is that Arctic uses salt water if I heard right and a special type of ozonator to keep the water clean, please explain this arrangement.

Thanks,
Scott  :-?
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 08:25:04 am »
2 tubs got my attention, the Tundra and the redesigned Yukon.
I thought the Arctic Cooler was a very cool idea (no pun intended) because I could use my spa in the Vegas summers. So how does it work?

Next question is that Arctic uses salt water if I heard right and a special type of ozonator to keep the water clean, please explain this arrangement.

Thanks,

My friend with the Kodiak LE must have the cooler--she turned on the blower and instant cool down!!

So, Scott you guys liked the Tundra!!  That is our fave, too!  ( in the Arctic line, at least...)

What were you doing up at 4 am??

I was at work--

Chrisi
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Summitman

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 09:34:51 am »
So I drove 6 hours up to Salt Lake City, UT to take care of some family business. On my way back to Vegas I visited the Arctic Spa dealer. 2 tubs got my attention, the Tundra and the redesigned Yukon. Anyway I was in a hurry to get on the road and to see webboy at BullFrog that I left with a few questions.

Thanks,

SwellTub, two great models that you are looking at there.  I love the new Yukon design!  The Arctic Cooler is new technology that Arctic is introducing to warmer climates.  It actually generates cool air that helps cool off the water for really warm climates, to make the spa more inviting.  I dont know a lot about the technology, but I can see where it would benefit you in Las Vegas.  

In regards to the Onzen salt system, Arctic has engineered a system that uses dead sea salts to purify the water.  It does this by using a salt generator in conjunction with a ozone system.  It has been very effective at producing the proper amount of purification in the water to make it safe to use.  It takes little to no maintenance as far as chemicals go.  You initially add the proper amount of dead sea salts to the water, and balance the ph/alkalinity.  After that it pretty much takes care of itself.  You will have to periodically check your ph reading as it will creep up on you sometimes.  With the combo of a ozone system the water is always being purified.  
Here is a diagram of the system from their website
http://www.arcticspas.com/index.php/en/show_content/3/50/

James

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 11:29:04 am »
With energy costs spiraling out  control  it seems that it will only be a matter of time before California’s CEC Title 20 will be enforced and spa manufactures will be held to strict energy efficiency standards or not be able to sell in the state

Other states are close to enacting  similar regulation.

Arctic’s claim to fame is their superior energy efficiency, yet just claiming it, it seems, won’t be enough for the CEC.

What has Artic done, specifically, to insure it’s product will meet or surpass  the CEC regulations?

James
Backyard Destinations
Caldera Dealer
Redding,Ca

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 11:36:06 am »
Speaking of ozone, and this is open to ALL dealers/manufactureres--

Could there be SOME slight possiblility that owning a spa with ozonator can HELP the ozone layer???  You know, like all the CFC's and what not's that destroy it?  I personallyprobably have my own hole in the ozone layer named after me, with all the harispray I use!!

Thngs that make you go hmmm.... :-/ ::)
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Tom

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 11:38:04 am »
I'll add a little more technical detail for those who want it (if not, skip this post).  

The Chiller is a solid state system that uses the Peltier effect, or thermoelectric cooling.  Where other spa coolers use refrigerant systems linked via a heat exchanger to the water plumbing, the Chiller works with fans and an air-to-air heat exchanger to cools the air in the chamber between shell and insulated cabinet.  It's a high-tech solution engineered to take advantage of Arctic's unique perimeter insulation.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:38:41 am by Graybeard »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 11:43:46 am »
So, Scott you guys liked the Tundra!!  That is our fave, too!  ( in the Arctic line, at least...)

What were you doing up at 4 am??

I was at work--

Chrisi
4 am your time. 1 am my time. I just got home from driving from Salt Lake and was winding down. The Arctic Spa really has my attention lately.

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Tom

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 12:07:11 pm »
Goarctic, please forgive me for jumping in here.  I think I'm in the best position to respond.

Arctic’s claim to fame is their superior energy efficiency, yet just claiming it, it seems, won’t be enough for the CEC. What has Artic done, specifically, to insure it’s product will meet or surpass  the CEC regulations?
Your post has quite a challenging tone, but that's okay.  Specifically, here are some of the things we've done:
  • We've had our spas tested, long before California got into the act.  The Alberta Research Council test of Thermal Efficiency of Hot Tubs http://www.arcticspas.com/downloads/performance/Thermal%20Performance%20Test%20of%20Spas.pdf showed the Arctic test models to be in the top four for energy efficiency at 20oC and the most efficient in the test group at -12oC.  That low temperature far exceeds the CEC standard.
  • We built our own low-temperature test chamber on site, back in 2001, so we've been testing our spas for a good long while. Any production change or new model can be tested and any energy improvement verified.  This test facility is now CEC certified.
  • We requested that the Canadian government Office of Energy Efficiency study the economic impact of improved hot tub efficiency, and provided them with our test data.  The OEE agreed that such improvements would have a significant national economic impact.  This began a two-year process that is now coming to fruition.  
  • The OEE branch of National Resources Canada is now working towards a standard of  energy efficiency testing more appropriate to the Canadian climate (some hot tubs that work fine in California tend to freeze their pumps off up here) and Arctic expects to serve on the test committee.  The ultimate goal of this is Ener-Guide and Energy Star labeling for all hot tubs sold in Canada and to influence construction specifications to maximize energy efficiency.  Do you think we would have started this ball rolling if we had any concern about the outcome?
  • We sponsored some head-to-head testing  http://www.arcticspas.com/downloads/performance/Cost%20Comparison-Cold%20Weather.pdf which demonstrates Arctic's energy efficiency.
As you can see, our claims are well backed by facts.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:21:02 pm by Graybeard »

Summitman

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 12:23:53 pm »
Thanks Tom, you obviously have a few more facts at your disposal!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 12:31:27 pm »
I have to admit I had't given Arctic much thought but I went to the Salt Lake store yesterday and I thought I was down to the Sundance Optima or Jacuzzi J-470 but the chiller, insulated cabinet, noise reduction thing has gotten my attention. I'm trying to get a wet test in Salt Lake in the coming weeks. Service is going to be a problem for me however.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 12:32:27 pm by Swell-Tub »
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

James

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 01:22:03 pm »
Goarctic, please forgive me for jumping in here.  I think I'm in the best position to respond.

Your post has quite a challenging tone, but that's okay.  Specifically, here are some of the things we've done:
  • We've had our spas tested, long before California got into the act.  The Alberta Research Council test of Thermal Efficiency of Hot Tubs http://www.arcticspas.com/downloads/performance/Thermal%20Performance%20Test%20of%20Spas.pdf showed the Arctic test models to be in the top four for energy efficiency at 20oC and the most efficient in the test group at -12oC.  That low temperature far exceeds the CEC standard.
  • We built our own low-temperature test chamber on site, back in 2001, so we've been testing our spas for a good long while. Any production change or new model can be tested and any energy improvement verified.  This test facility is now CEC certified.
  • We requested that the Canadian government Office of Energy Efficiency study the economic impact of improved hot tub efficiency, and provided them with our test data.  The OEE agreed that such improvements would have a significant national economic impact.  This began a two-year process that is now coming to fruition.  
  • The OEE branch of National Resources Canada is now working towards a standard of  energy efficiency testing more appropriate to the Canadian climate (some hot tubs that work fine in California tend to freeze their pumps off up here) and Arctic expects to serve on the test committee.  The ultimate goal of this is Ener-Guide and Energy Star labeling for all hot tubs sold in Canada and prevention of low-efficiency products being sold here.  Do you think we would have started this ball rolling if we had any concern about the outcome?
  • We sponsored some head-to-head testing  http://www.arcticspas.com/downloads/performance/Cost%20Comparison-Cold%20Weather.pdf which demonstrates Arctic's energy efficiency.
As you can see, our claims are well backed by facts.

Please forgive any tone. As it is, it's hard to tell inflection in such a media as a web forum. Perhaps I should ad some smiley faces, etc. to my posts.

Any challenge I offer will pale compared to the challenges of doing business during these interesting economic times.

While your bullet points are interesting, I'm not sure that any point but #2 really fit with the question.I can not speak for the CEC, but I’m not sure they will accept 3rd party, manufacturer sponsored testing. Time will tell.

In point #2 you mentioned that your facility is CEC certified? How does that work? Does the California Energy Commission come to the facility Canada?  Will the CEC verify this certification for a consumer? Will you have facility certified by Oregon and NJ when they enact similar standards?

Lastly, there is a rather extensive list of Hot Tub manufacturers and related industries, with the help of ASAP, that have joined together to work with the CEC in effort to make any transition as easy as it can be for the industry. The contributions from these industry leaders have been financial as well as advisory.

As an industry leader, is Artic involved with this?

James
Backyard Destinations
Caldera Dealer
Redding,Ca

Water Boy

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 01:53:24 pm »

Any challenge I offer will pale compared to the challenges of doing business during these interesting economic times.

There aren't any interesting economic times here in our area. We are having a great year and are on pace to beat last year's numbers. Just got done selling a new Cub Ultra to a guy that had an old name brand tub. He asked me if I wanted to call the other salesman where he bought his old name brand tub to tell him he bought ours. The salesman had already called twice to follow up. I told him no thanks, he might punch me in the teeth! ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:54:43 pm by Happy_Madison »
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Summitman

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 02:02:16 pm »
"As an industry leader, is Artic involved with this? "

Since were questioning, its "Arctic", not Artic.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:02:49 pm by waylon33 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 02:02:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42