What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 3 months of ownership update and some Q's  (Read 3972 times)

2 8

3 months of ownership update and some Q's
« on: December 30, 2007, 11:47:53 am »
Picked this 05 hot springs prodigy up for $2750 3 months ago.  I have used it pretty much daily since.  I love it.  

I picked up a large bucket of dichlorine from lowes for around $80 bucks.  that should last a couple years I would think.  

I add a pre-measured amount of chlorine each time I use it.  

I was adding MPS chlorine-free oxidizer shock treatment once a week (came with spa) until I ran out.  Now I am looking for a similar shock to purchase, but wanted to check here to see what is recommended.

I also need to replace the 3 filters.   I am wondering what a good online retailer is that I could order those from along with the spa shock.

The only issue I am having with the spa right now is foam. It gets BIG and BAD with the jets on.    I guess it could be due to hair products or it could be due to not using the shock recently.

also looking for a good place to buy a cover lift.

cliff notes:
1. love the spa
2. need recommendation on spa shock to use once a week
3. need recommendation for online retailer of shock and filters
4. best place to buy a cover lift?

Hot Tub Forum

3 months of ownership update and some Q's
« on: December 30, 2007, 11:47:53 am »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: 3 months of ownership update and some Q's
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:50:01 pm »
Picked this 05 hot springs prodigy up for $2750 3 months ago.  I have used it pretty much daily since.  I love it.  

I picked up a large bucket of dichlorine from lowes for around $80 bucks.  that should last a couple years I would think.  

I add a pre-measured amount of chlorine each time I use it.
I was adding MPS chlorine-free oxidizer shock treatment once a week (came with spa) until I ran out.  Now I am looking for a similar shock to purchase, but wanted to check here to see what is recommended.

I also need to replace the 3 filters.   I am wondering what a good online retailer is that I could order those from along with the spa shock.

The only issue I am having with the spa right now is foam. It gets BIG and BAD with the jets on.    I guess it could be due to hair products or it could be due to not using the shock recently.

also looking for a good place to buy a cover lift.

cliff notes:
1. love the spa
2. need recommendation on spa shock to use once a week
3. need recommendation for online retailer of shock and filters
4. best place to buy a cover lift?

2 8, that's a great looking spa. It still looks brand new. Where are you located?

I use a small amount of dichlor after each use and shock every week or two with MPS. Most of the time, foam is caused by residual soap from bathing suits. Not sure of your particular situation.

I usually buy my supplies from my local dealer. Do you have a HD dealer in your area? They should be able to help you with some of your issues. They also sell the OEM Hotspring lifters which are not online.

If you want to go online checkout http://www.rhtubs.com/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:53:19 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

2 8

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:55:28 pm »
I am in Iowa.  That pic was taken in October.   This is in december.

So is MPS a type of shock or is it a brand?

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 04:30:24 pm »
Hello 2 8, Nice to see another Iowian on the forum! I sent you a PM on some info.
Keep warm!
MLG

96SC

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »
MPS is a type of shock (non-Chlorinated), not a brand name.  We get foam like yours periodically.  We bought some defoaming chemical, put it in a spray bottle (had to add a bit of water as the stuff is sort of thick) and spray it on the foam 'globs'.  First thing to do is scoop out as much foam as you can then spray.

Good luck.

PS  The lady in the tub sure is determined, walking on the snow covered steps to get in.  
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 06:24:37 pm by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 07:00:50 pm »

Are you sure its dichlor?  That sounds like an awful lot of dichlor.  I buy it in 5 pound  containers for around $24.  In that amount, I notice it seems to lose its smell after a few months and when I'm ready to buy another I can tell its a fresh container. Does it lose its effectiveness?  I'm not sure, but keep an eye on that.  Check the container's recomendation on storage.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:28:21 pm »
2 8 - Nice looking set up! As for the Cover lifter When and If you get a cover lifter be careful with the snow and ice!  It is important to remove it all from your cover before you try to lift the cover back... it is more weight then it looks like and will snap your lifter!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:28:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42