What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Discolored Untreated Water--What Could it be?  (Read 5745 times)

2busymom

Discolored Untreated Water--What Could it be?
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:07:49 am »
I was wondering if any of you could help me problem solve this.  I have changed the water in my spa 3 times.  The first time, the water looked fine after it filled the tub from my garden hose.  The last 2 times I drained with an electric sump pump and then re-filled the tub with the same hose.  I ran fresh water through the hose for a couple of minutes and then begin to re-fill (after cleaning the tub).  Once the tub got about 1/4 full, the water started to take on a green tinge.  It looked awful!  I went through the process of testing the water, getting the pH up, and adding water hardener (as we have very soft water).  I then shocked the water and let it heat up and filter.  The next day, everything was balanced and the filters did the trick..very clean looking water and tested perfectly (woo hoo).

But I am worried about what might be in the water.  Do you think this discolored water is due to:

1) the hose...could the stuff from the old dirty water be getting back in the tub?
2) bad pipes?
3) water source issues?
or what?

Thanks, any good ideas would be helpful.
2007 Marquis U630

Hot Tub Forum

Discolored Untreated Water--What Could it be?
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:07:49 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Discolored Untreated Water--What Could it be?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 05:42:20 am »
I too have a slight green tint to my tap water. I was a little curious as well, so I filled my bath tub up all the way and sure enough the same green tinted water. I don't worry about because like you said once I balance my tub, give it a 10ppm shock, and run the pumps for 20 minutes, it's cystal clear!

abc123

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:45:30 am »
Nothing to worry about as long as it goes away when water is balanced we have seen light green to dark green in pools and this is city water you don't want to know what well water looks like here.

Cyn

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:01:51 am »
I have the same problem...first 2 times filled, no tint.  Last dump and refill the green showed up and just like everyone else said, after it was treated it was fine.  I have heard that copper makes water green, but I too wonder why it shows up sometimes and not others????

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:01:55 am »
It's probably metal of some kind, like copper perhaps.  If you have city water, call your water utility and ask for an analysis- they should have the information on hand since they have to constantly test the water anyway.  
  If you have well water, this isn't an option, but you can have the water analyzed if you are curious enough.

There are products available like Metal B Gone, or similar to deal with any issues.

Also ask if your spa dealer knows about the water in your area.  My dealer is very familiar with the different water types in their service area.

Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »
I have this problem too, a slight green tint. My water company said it sounded like electrolysis of my coper pipes.  I say BS. I had my water tested by my dealer when I first got the spa and there were no traces of metals in he water.

I have also had a slight blue tint as well. I just live with it.

2busymom

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 08:53:38 pm »
Copper...or worse yet...galvanized steel...the house is 80+ years old! :o  Is there a way, or should I, test for metal before I try some metal out product?  Do the metals stay in my spa if the water looks clean (and the other testing is working)?

It's amazing, I've been thinking that showering at home was safe...now I realize that my "potable" water supply has all kinds of things lurking in it from my pipes.   :o
2007 Marquis U630

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 09:01:53 pm »
Bring the water to the dealer to have it tested (Did I just say that?) Actually, I think this test is a one time thing so it would be worth it to have the dealer test for metals.

If the house is 80+ YO, do you have lead pipes coming into the house? this was very common around then.

It's amazing what is in "safe" water. I know someone who uses a ceramic type filter for his tap water for drinking and cooking. He claims it takes out a lot of garbage, I have tasted the water and it is tasteless which I guess means everything was taken out of it.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 10:49:48 pm »
If your dealer can test the water for metals, that's one option.  If not there are companies that do water anaylsis for a fee.  Might be worth the expense one time just to see, especially in an older home- you never know what the plumbing in your house is adding to the water.  
  Our water has a tiny bit of green tinge to it but I'm not sure if that's just the spa shell affecting what the water looks like or if it's the water.  We have no notable metal in the water so I'm not worried.  
Brewman

2busymom

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 01:01:35 am »
Thanks!  I knew where to go to get the answers.  Water quality really is a big issue!  ;D  I get it now!  Will work on getting the water tested.  Looks like no one thinks my hose was adding this to my tub.
2007 Marquis U630

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 01:01:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42