What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Do I need a dehumidifier for hottub in garage?  (Read 6421 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Do I need a dehumidifier for hottub in garage?
« on: September 21, 2007, 08:28:26 pm »
I am going to put my Sundance Altamar hottub in my 2-car garage.  The back wall is cinderblock and the rest of the walls and ceiling are sheetrock.  I am going to paint the walls with a high gloss kitchen and bath paint around where the hottub is going to be.  Should I also buy a dehumidifier to put next to or near the hottub?

I was going to install a vent fan above the hottub but that would require me cutting all my ceiling apart, etc.. and since the hottub is only going to be in the garage for a limiited amount of time.. say 1 year until I can build a deck outside, I don't want to put a lot of money and time into making a room in the garage for the hottub.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Do I need a dehumidifier for hottub in garage?
« on: September 21, 2007, 08:28:26 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Do I need a dehumidifier for hottub in garage?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 06:27:44 pm »
It wouldnt hurt at all.  Buy a K& B paint that specifically prevents mold and mildew.

JerryofWNY

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 07:13:04 pm »
I don't know your location, but I wouldn't vent it to your attic space above the garage. You will be adding moisture and heat to an area you want to remain cold in the winter and dry year round.

Lars

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:02:11 pm »
Be sure to paint the cinderblock too, or you'll have mold.

A dehumidifer would be smart, can't hurt.  I'd also rig up a bathroom type exhaust fan to vent outside.  Put it up high on a exterior wall, you don't have to go through the ceiling that way, and just turn it on when you're in the tub or put it on a timer.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 02:05:36 pm »
I'd go with an exhaust fan controlled by a humidistat.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 02:05:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42