What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: PATIO IS NOT LEVEL  (Read 9276 times)

JJWP

PATIO IS NOT LEVEL
« on: August 19, 2007, 07:58:21 am »
I am planning on putting my newly purchased J 365 91 x 84 on an existing patio that is off that back of my house. As I was preparing this area yesterday....I put a 6' level on the area were it will rest. I figured it wouldn't be level and I was right it pitched about an 1" in 6' ......away from the house. So...... my question is ......is this acceptable ? or does the tub have to be level ? and if so......HOW would you suggest the best way is to accomplish this.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how anyone else has dealt with this issue.

Hot Tub Forum

PATIO IS NOT LEVEL
« on: August 19, 2007, 07:58:21 am »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: PATIO IS NOT LEVEL
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:48:16 am »
Congrats on the new tub!

I think that you would want the tub to be level from an aestetic point of view.  I looks strange if the water levels do not match on the interior sides of the tub.  But, you may be able to avoid having to level the patio if you are able to shim the tub.  Some tubs can be shimmed, others not.  Your tub manufacturer should have this info available for you.  

The owner's manual for my Hot Spring Envoy addressed the issue of shimming and provided instructions as to where each shim support point was located under the tub.  Most Hot Spring tubs can be shimmed except the largest ones (Grandee, Vista).  I'm not sure about Jacuzzi.  My deck was not level, but the dealer shimmed the tub when he set it up and I've had no problems.  Make sure you have the dealer do the shimming because if it is not done correctly (and doesn't evenly spread the weight of the tub), it could damage the tub surround or crack the shell once it is filled with water.

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:02:53 am »
I am planning on putting my newly purchased J 365 91 x 84 on an existing patio that is off that back of my house. As I was preparing this area yesterday....I put a 6' level on the area were it will rest. I figured it wouldn't be level and I was right it pitched about an 1" in 6' ......away from the house. So...... my question is ......is this acceptable ? or does the tub have to be level ? and if so......HOW would you suggest the best way is to accomplish this.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how anyone else has dealt with this issue.
That's really not that bad as a typical fall for patios, garage floors, etc is 1/4'' per foot.

I had my slab poured specifically for my spa so the flatworker only gave me a 1'' fall for my 10' wide slab. I have a 3/4'' fall from side to side on my tub and there are no problems what so ever. The real concern about a big fall is the water level from one side of the tub to the other. What they'll do to fix the slope(if that's what's recommended and what you want to do)is utilize shims to take out some of the pitch. You could probably get by with no shims but the filter side of your tub would have to be on the low side of your slab.

They do it all the time but just be careful and make sure the dealer/manufacturer will still honor all factory warranties. I'd get something in writing.

Chad
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:56:35 am by WHY_NOT »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 10:42:50 am »
I'm not sure you can shim that tub.  A couple of things I've seen done.  You can build a platform for the spa to sit on that can be leveled or you can put down some self leveling concrete where your spa is going to sit.  Chad or Auto Play are tile guys and I'm sure can comment on this.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:05:55 am »
I don't know if I would trust a skim coat of self leveling compound to support the weight of the tub. I'll see what one of my friends who is a flat worker thinks. I really don't think a 1'' slope will be that bad as I have almost a 3/4'' drop on my tub and don't have any issues. Matter of fact I actually have my filters on the high side. I guess it's really gonna depend on how the waterline is once the tub is filled to see if it's above all the jets when filled to the recommended level by Jacuzzi. He could always just fill it a little higher as long as he doesn't mind the pillows sitting in the water a little. I actually keep mine a little higher as some of my seats are a little shallow for me. My pillows are already discolored from my ozonator, so I really don't mind them being exposed to the chlroninated water.

JJWP,

You could always tile the slab and take some of the slope out that way. Or even put down some pavers and just build the base up on the low side. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 11:16:09 am by WHY_NOT »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:38:28 am »
I read up a little more on going over the slab with a topping mix and I think you'd be alright. It's been awhile since union tile/stone school so I really couldn't remember all the specifics. If you were to go over the whole slab starting at the high side with a 1/4'' coat and then working your way down to the low side with a 1'' coat I'd think you'd be ok. There's alot of different topping mixes and they're not all created equal. Maybe contact a local flatworker and see what kind he reccommends and see about a bid if this is something you don't feel comfortable doing. I work around flaworkers all the time so I'll see what they say as well. I'm just not positive b/c of the weight of a filled spa.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 11:58:14 am »
I read up a little more on going over the slab with a topping mix and I think you'd be alright. It's been awhile since union tile/stone school so I really couldn't remember all the specifics.

Chad,

You are supposed to keep this stuff in your head! Forget about women's phone numbers and how nice their feet are, you have a responsibility to the people on this forum who require help!!!! ;) ;D

Vinny

autoplay

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 12:21:14 pm »
My tub drops less than 1/8" per foot.  I have the skimmer on the low side,so in that regards,the water level isn't affected.

It's barely noticable. I've had the tub this way over 4 years now,and no probs.

If you're gonna skim-float it to level it,you can use ARDEX,which is expensive,or,add latex/milk to your mortar base.

3/4" minimum is required,as far as floating with sand/portland. Anything thinner,without the use of latex,isn't strong enough,and will crack down the road.

Chad,go brush up ;) J/K

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 01:14:07 pm »
My tub drops less than 1/8" per foot.  I have the skimmer on the low side,so in that regards,the water level isn't affected.

It's barely noticable. I've had the tub this way over 4 years now,and no probs.

If you're gonna skim-float it to level it,you can use ARDEX,which is expensive,or,add latex/milk to your mortar base.

3/4" minimum is required,as far as floating with sand/portland. Anything thinner,without the use of latex,isn't strong enough,and will crack down the road.

Chad,go brush up ;) J/K
 :-[  ;D

Thanks for taking me back to school.
 :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:36:30 pm by WHY_NOT »

JJWP

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 01:22:39 pm »
Thanks for all your suggestions.....I didn't even think about having the dealer take care of it.....Thats my first order of business tomorrow morning.

Richs100

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 01:40:40 pm »
I don't mean to deprive Chad of any new business  ;)  ::), but I would definately check with Jacuzzi and the dealer first to make sure you cannot shim this particular tub.  The patio drop does not seem that severe.  If you can shim, it will take care of the leveling problem.  As I said, my tub is shimmed, its perfectly level and you really can't tell.

If you can't shim, then check with Chad as to the tile options.  I seem to remember a while back Term did a nice graphic on Chad's car which showed the tile color selections he has available!  ;D ;D

Rich

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 02:37:47 pm »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:38:19 pm by WHY_NOT »

Richs100

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 04:56:02 pm »

Your tile color choices are on the rear bumper right behind Kevin Federline...err, I mean Chad.   :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 04:56:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42