What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used vs New  (Read 2450 times)

Beezer

• Niagra
Used vs New
« on: August 15, 2007, 01:01:12 pm »
Hello folks,

I want to say that I am very happy I found this site BEFORE I purchase a tub. That said I have a tough budget to work with and I was hoping for you Guru's here to help bail me out.

I live in Chicago and plan to put a 4-6 person tube in a three season room that's not attached to my home. The concrete slab will have radiant heat in it and I plan to install a powered attic ventilation with temp and humidity controls in the roof to relieve the moisture buildup along with windows. My usuage is 60-70% 2 person and the balance 4 people. We eat well here in Chi-Town so the wife and myself are both 6' and displace some water.

I have a budget of 5-6K and I was wondering if I should invest in a high end used unit from a private party or go retail and settle for a lesser new tub. My choices in the used market are Jacuzzi P-370 (allegedly 18 months young), or a 3 year old Dimension 1 model Aurora II ? New ones all seem to be over 8K so I am looking for suggestions for mid levels.
Should I be concerned with the gallon cap aka depth of the units to accomadate big people with less water ?

Thanks for your time :)

Hot Tub Forum

Used vs New
« on: August 15, 2007, 01:01:12 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Used vs New
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 02:55:15 pm »
The jacuzzi is older than 18 months, as they haven't made the 370 for years.

If warranty is important to you get a new spa.  The money saved now on a used spa could get eaten pretty quick by 1 or 2 service calls.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 04:38:40 pm »
I would say that buying a used spa from an individual is always a risk...There is a reason that they are selling it.

Many dealers rebuild spas and resell their trade-ins, this is a good way to get a discount spa if you can get them to offer a warrenty.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 04:42:52 pm »
IMO, if you want to buy a used spa from an owner, you have to pick it up for practically nothing.  You'll have to move it yourself, buy new filters, most likely a new cover....and make sure you see it running.  Nothing like having someone elses non working spa sitting in your back yard.

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 03:07:14 pm »
I think the best way to buy a used spa is to get one from a dealer who deals in trade in spas.  Usually you can get at least a 90 day warranty from them.  Plus, they'll be the one to deliver and set up.  

I know Marquis will let warranties transfer with ownership.  I'm not aware of other brands that do that.  

Unless you can get some type of warranty on a used, I'd go with a new.  If you can stretch your budget just a bit, you can get a great tub that will meet your needs.

I heard Hot Spring is reviving their old Tiger River Siberian, but putting it under the Hot Spot label.  That will be a nice, large tub with a nice price point.  I'm just not sure if its available yet.  Its not on their website yet, so I suppose its not quite out yet.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 03:22:04 pm »
I have an '06 Jacuzzi J-345 that I bought new for $6100. Like Vanguard said if you were to stretch your budget even just $1K more you'd definetely be able to find a great new tub from a major brand. The extra money spent now will definetly pay for itself in the long haul.

I was set at spending no more than $5K until I came here and recieved the same piece of advice I just gave you. 10 months later and no regrets. A saying used here alot is once you enjoy that first soak the last thing on your mind is how much you spent. Just think, you'll have this thing for 10+ years so any money you think you saved now will be a wash as new tubs come with 5, 7, 10 year warranties.

Chad

Beezer

• Niagra
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 04:24:14 pm »
You folks speak the truth...but the truth is sometimes hard to hear.  :(

I am on the fence on this, I checked with some dealers and they either don't deal with refurbs or the ones they have are older units that don't fit my needs. I have it down to two private units, both are in great shape, are water test ready and local. The  Jacuzzi P-370 is an allegedly a 2005 and they need to get $4200 and the 2004 Dimension 1 Aurora II is priced out at $3200. Anybody own one of these two tubs and do these sound like they are worth taking a no warranty risk for?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:25:42 pm by Beezer »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 04:24:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42