What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Calling all DIYers of Pergolas/Gazebos and Decks  (Read 12824 times)

Brookenstein

Calling all DIYers of Pergolas/Gazebos and Decks
« on: November 20, 2005, 05:46:07 pm »
I finally found a pic of a pergola that suits our needs and the man and I actually agree on.

I'm curious how others went about the process.  The pic I found didn't come with plans or anything.  Can I take it to Home Depot or Lowes and have them help redesign it so we know what materials we need? How long did it take you to do?  How would you rate the difficulty level of this type of project?

Thanks for any advice/input.   :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:44:19 am by Brookenstein »

Hot Tub Forum

Calling all DIYers of Pergolas/Gazebos and Decks
« on: November 20, 2005, 05:46:07 pm »

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
Re: Calling all Do It Yourselfers of Pergolas/Gaze
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 06:19:30 pm »
Hi,

When I moved into my new place, the first thing I did was build a pergola. I looked at a bunch online and then designed one in 3d and built it... Here are the pics. The cost for lumber was $350.00.

Building a pergola is actually pretty simple. For your design, the parts that will be the trickiest are the diagonal supports. Mine, as you can see, were just basic 4x4.s
It looks as though you want fancier edges also - once you have a template drawn on paper, you can cut them all at once.

With boards as long as you're going to want, the easiest way to make cuts is with a circular saw - on two saw horses at the build site. Curves in this setting are harder cuts then straight cuts... things to think about.

Also, though my pergola is freestanding, this is not the norm. Generally you dig footers, pour concrete and attach the vertical 4x4's to that. That will probably take you the longest amount of time and energy.

There are a lot of good online plans. I would suggest mixing and matching ideas. google - "how to build a pergola".

Once I planned it and bought the lumber, I built the thing in about half a day. Obviously, from the pictures, you can see that it's not quite finished, and that the plants etc. still have to be set. Also, we have a bamboo top on it - to protect from the SOCAL sun. That was done after the fact.

The pergola in your pic looks pretty massive. Instead of 4x4's, it appears that the vertical supports are 6x6's.  They even look to be 12 feet high.

If you went with 4x4s that pic would break down into (without the  caps and diagonals, basically the body of the beast:

4   10 ft  4x4's
16 12 ft 2x6's

Lag bolts would attach much of it.

tools required - circular saw, power drill, hammer, chisel, measuring tape!!! straight edge!!! level!!!!  :)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 06:29:46 pm by st18901 »

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 06:31:14 pm »
Hey, Brookenstein!  I really like that design :).  I found a design that I loved, and modified it to fit my deck which has one side on an angle.  I did the planning by looking at a picture I found on the net:

The difficulty is directly related to your skill level...have you framed deck / fences etc. before?  Overall, it is not at all difficult to build one if you understand the basics of framing / measuring / cutting and have a plan to anchor your 4 corner supports.  Straight, plumb, and square corner posts are the hardest part!  Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions!

Steve

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 07:08:28 pm »
Looks like a nice afternoon project...............  ;D

If you're looking to do that exact same thing, the outer profile of the roof 2x6's were probably cut with a very large hole saw. The diagonal supports are going to be difficult to get the curve consistent without some pretty good machinery. You might want to run one direction of the roof 2x6's OVER the other so as to not have to notch them together.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

cappykat

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 07:15:14 pm »
Brooke....love that design!!  I'm printing it out to show husband.  We want to build one also and that's a great looking one!  

Yes, Home Depot will help you with the design and give you a materials list.  When we were going to do a deck, my husband and one of their guys designed it--no cost involved for the service.
2005 Marquis Epic

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 05:33:09 am »
I finally found a pic of a pergola that suits our needs and the man and I actually agree on.

I'm curious how others went about the process.  The pic I found didn't come with plans or anything.  Can I take it to Home Depot or Lowes and have them help redesign it so we know what materials we need? How long did it take you to do?  How would you rate the difficulty level of this type of project?
Thanks for any advice/input.   :)

Depends on your skill level and ability, and the power tools you have. 6x6's can be a bugger to cut and a curve will make it difficult (looks like the post's are 6x6) You will need a heavy duty jig saw or sawzall and belt sander or an upright bandsaw. 2x6's for the top are resonably easy to work with and notching half way to fit the intersecting pieces together is simple to cut but a bit more difficult to fit. Make sure to use a soft wood, ceder or redwood will make it easy to work with.
Retired

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 07:28:45 am »
I have also been looking for pergola ideas and I have to hurry. I know it has to be easier to build it before the tub is installed.  I was wondering about your material list, ssbraun.  I am guessing  that the supports are sandwiched 2x4s( or are they 4X4s?) between 2-2x6 (if that is correct, then could you could attach the 2x4s or 4X4s to the deck joists and then attach the 2x6's on the top of the decking) The 2X6s on the top rest on the top of the outside 2X6s eliminating the need to notch and just attach them with lag bolts. (right?) Tell me about the 2X6 in the center, they appear to float.  The round ends of the 2X6 would not be too difficult but I would think you could make a pattern of any kind of design and follow it for each.  Are the horozontal pieces on the top 2X2s? I really like the look of the smaller boards for the top. This looks like a project that I can work out and do with minimal fighting with my husband! Would you mind posting a material list?  Thanks so much  ::)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 11:21:45 am »
I have also been looking for pergola ideas and I have to hurry. I know it has to be easier to build it before the tub is installed.  I was wondering about your material list, ssbraun.  I am guessing  that the supports are sandwiched 2x4s( or are they 4X4s?) between 2-2x6 (if that is correct, then could you could attach the 2x4s or 4X4s to the deck joists and then attach the 2x6's on the top of the decking) The 2X6s on the top rest on the top of the outside 2X6s eliminating the need to notch and just attach them with lag bolts. (right?) Tell me about the 2X6 in the center, they appear to float.  The round ends of the 2X6 would not be too difficult but I would think you could make a pattern of any kind of design and follow it for each.  Are the horozontal pieces on the top 2X2s? I really like the look of the smaller boards for the top. This looks like a project that I can work out and do with minimal fighting with my husband! Would you mind posting a material list?  Thanks so much  ::)

Bonibelle, the posts are 4x4s, the posts are capped on the sides with 2x6s, the top pieces are 2x2's, the center 2x6 "beam" hangs from 2 4x4's which are sandwiched between the 2 beams running L to R across your screen.  The posts are bolted to my pre-existing deck, and the beams at the top are all bolted into place.  As far as building it before the tub is placed, that'd be ok as long as you leave the top open and the tub will fit thru the opening!  I built mine after the tub.  Mine is not square, it looks like this:

I don't have a material list, but you got all the sizes right on, so it shouldn't take you much to figure based on your design (height, length, width play a big part).
It's not hard; remember it's not a church, it's a pergola, so everything doesn't have to be perfect ;).  Hope this helps!  PM me if you need more info.

Steve

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 11:44:48 am »
Thank you so much, that is the design that I want.  I jusr love the 2X2 on top.  I may pre drill and set everything up first on the ground and after the tub is in place just put it together.  My husband has a tendency to have accidents during construction projects so I was imagining his drill falling into the hot tub.  If I make the top on the ground first, it will just be a matter of setting it in place on the posts.
Brooke thanks for this post!
You will not believe the hours that I have spent searching for a design that would work and that I could do mostly myself.  
Brooke  would this type of design work for you as well?  

Support your dealer so they can support you!

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 02:15:46 pm »
My husband has a tendency to have accidents during construction projects so I was imagining his drill falling into the hot tub.

Put the cover on the tub, cover it in a canvas drop cloth, like you'd use for painting, and two 4x8 sheets of plywood (fits perfectly over an 8x8 tub)

You can stand on the tub to work.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 02:57:45 pm »
ssbraun,

great looking pergola!

I have a question about the first pic... is that a ghost standing in the glass door of your house ?

Brookenstein

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 04:36:03 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.

We have no formal training... but we learn pretty quickly on do it yourself projects.  I drywalled the kitchen and the man hung cabinets and did the countertop of our old house.

My main problem is that the man is an 80%er and so who knows how long it would take for him to actually complete the project.

I will show him the other pic and see what he thinks about it.  It looks a lot easier to build than the one I picked out.

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 04:42:45 pm »

Bonibelle, the posts are 4x4s, the posts are capped on the sides with 2x6s, the top pieces are 2x2's, the center 2x6 "beam" hangs from 2 4x4's which are sandwiched between the 2 beams running L to R across your screen.  The posts are bolted to my pre-existing deck, and the beams at the top are all bolted into place.  As far as building it before the tub is placed, that'd be ok as long as you leave the top open and the tub will fit thru the opening!  I built mine after the tub.  Mine is not square, it looks like this:

I don't have a material list, but you got all the sizes right on, so it shouldn't take you much to figure based on your design (height, length, width play a big part).
It's not hard; remember it's not a church, it's a pergola, so everything doesn't have to be perfect ;).  Hope this helps!  PM me if you need more info.

Steve

Hi Steve....Mark here....how much would you charge to help me with mine???   Your's looks awesome.  I definitely like the privacy aspect of yours.  For those of you down south, we up here in Calgary have awfully small lots typically, so you're always looking for extra privacy for hot tubs, bbq's, etc.  

BTW, your water looks identical to mine.

Mark

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 05:06:35 pm »

ssbraun,

great looking pergola!

I have a question about the first pic... is that a ghost standing in the glass door of your house ?

Thanks for the compliment :D. You have no idea how hard it was for me to figure the "ghost" out:  its my dog (a Norwegian Elkhound) inside, facing the door with her head down and curly tail up ;D ;D

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 05:10:02 pm »

Hi Steve....Mark here....how much would you charge to help me with mine???   Your's looks awesome.  I definitely like the privacy aspect of yours.  For those of you down south, we up here in Calgary have awfully small lots typically, so you're always looking for extra privacy for hot tubs, bbq's, etc.  

BTW, your water looks identical to mine.

Mark

Thanks, Mark!  PM me and I'll help out however I can...

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 05:10:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42