What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wireing Options on Optima?  (Read 11341 times)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Wireing Options on Optima?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 03:36:28 pm »
At this point get your dealer involved, that's what he's for!   Sorry I don't know the Sundance board as well compared to the Jacuzzi.   :(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 03:36:28 pm »

DaveMc

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 10:36:37 pm »
Well I wasn't going to do the switch myself--I have an appointment for a start up with the dealer and he can do it then--I just thought I would like to learn how---but no luck there--or here!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 11:26:17 pm »
 Sorry for trying, and your welcome.  Good luck to ya! 

DaveMc

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »
Thanks for trying!
David

DaveMc

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 11:50:35 am »
Dr Spa---you have been called on your opinion that the ground needs to be as large as the feeders ( main service to gfci) and you chose not to stand up for your opinion!  Why was that I see you are not shy about posting on other threads.  Is it because the electricians on another forum (DIY Chat) werew correct and #4 feeders at 60 amp need only a number 8 ground--not a 6 as you stated?

clover

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 12:44:07 pm »
DaveMc, I am more interested in what you are going to do with the neutral wire when you get to the spa?  When you understand the question, it you will save money, if you don't, your breaker will experience nuisance tripping, and with it remote in the backyard, it is unlikely you will know about it until you go to use it.  You may find it empty, and that will cost even more.

This question alone, indicates not all spas are wired the same, so not all installations are the same.  This continues onto the NEC which is the National Electric Code, but things change in the local municipality, and deals specifically with the particular installation.  We have all argued with electricians of all levels and even some inspectors.  We may not be electricians, but we know the specifics related to the spas we represent.

Experience also tells us, with the spa 175 feet away from the house, it will curb its use in the cold weather.  Who wants to go that far in the snow to get into hot water, and then back to the house.  Not the kids, and not the wife.  But then, everyone is different too, maybe your situation will be different. 

You will better understand this perspective after you have made that trip a couple of times in your robe, as it is too far to go in your birthday suit which is the best thing to wear in the hot tub.

As for Doc, he gave you his opinion, as for others, they too have an opinion and not all opinions are the same.  The best advice is to call your local municipality and talk to the electrical inspector who will approve or red tag you installation.  Why seek misinformation when you can go the approval source.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

DaveMc

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 02:15:26 pm »
Clover
Thank you for responding.  If you are going to give an opinion on distance from the house it would serve you to better understand the question.  The main service is 155 feet from the spa---that's main service Clover ---not spa from house---the spa is 12 feet from our bedroom on our back deck---no where in my writing will you find that the location of the spa is spelled out----thanks for the tip tho if I ever want to put a spa 175 feet from a house I will keep your tips in mind.
  I think too you misunderstood the descriptions of neutrals---the main service is in the front of the house--with a 60 amp regular 2 pole 240 breaker-----from there 3-#4's and a ground (#6) go to the spa location--to a GFCI "spa Panel"---the neutral stops there and the GFCI neutral as well as the #4 neutral both connect to the neutral bar supplied in the box.  From there only 3 wires go to the spa--#6--hot hot ground.  So perhaps if you take the time to understand the question you can better offer your valuable advice.
  I think most of us know that all spa's are not wired the same--pretty academic there!
  Yes Doc gave me his opinion and actually I went with that but I was scolded by several electricians---and attempted to share that with Mr Dr Spa---but he would not step up to the plate and defend his opinion---so that is why I here---offered him a last opportunity to do that.
  Thanks for trying to belittle me though but as you can see ---you should really be better prepared.

David

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 02:37:30 pm »
 Stop being an

DaveMc

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »
Jim
When posters, be they self appointed experts, or the general public---choose to belittle the the average person seeking information---because they have an agenda or are having a bad day---they deserve feedback of like kind.
You seem to also have a proclivity towards defense ---rather than just weighing the facts and responding---nice self portrait tho!
David

clover

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 04:55:33 pm »
David, at no time did I ever intend to berate or belittle you, or your comments.  So it must be the way you interpret the intent or purpose of what people say.

As you can see, we all can have an opinion, but none of us are dealing with the actual situation as you know it to be, leaving us all susceptible of being wrong in so many ways.  This alone is reason enough to question any advice rendered.

As for distance of 175' indicated in your post, I personally, have never had anyone run service for that length of a distance, calling for a #4 AWG. 

When you say, "I think most of us know that all spa's are not wired the same--pretty academic there!", certainly indicates that confusion can be a complicating factor, but then the NEC is pretty academic as well, and even that creates confusion that is being discussed here. 

If my advice was valuable, you would be paying for it, so it is worth what everyone else has pointed out, not much, but you did post an inquiry.

Best wishes to you and yours in your hot tubing experience.  That alone will put a smile on your face, and it will enhance your face value.  ;)
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »
Jim
When posters, be they self appointed experts, or the general public---choose to belittle the the average person seeking information---because they have an agenda or are having a bad day---they deserve feedback of like kind.
You seem to also have a proclivity towards defense ---rather than just weighing the facts and responding---nice self portrait tho!
David

People like you come and go here all the time.  Not going to lose sleep over it..  Good luck to you!   

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 05:13:38 pm »
What is this forum coming too.  People come on here looking for advice, people give them answers to their questions for FREE and if the poster doesn't like the response or isn't quick enough with it they get a bunch of crap for it.  I've been seeing this on this thread over the last few days.  If you don't likre the advice you are being given call your dealer.  They are the ones making the money not us

DaveMc

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »
Clover
The 175' reference in post #7 is for a previous project of mine as stated in that post--this project is 150 to 155 feet as stated---still a #4 is required at either one.
I took the tone of one of your posts  to be a little demeaning---

As for J Jim---and his self portrait--well it is pretty mean spirited.

The basic question after all this fluff remains---what is the correct size for a ground 150 feet from the main service---and the answer appears to be a #10 or a #8---definitely not a number 6---even tho I opted for that---my recent quivery was to elicit an answer from Dr Spa--when one goofs doesn't one learn from that? and If you make a mistake what is the best way to treat that situation---I have and I advocate immediate apology and an understanding of the correct answer!  How many of our politicians could benefit from that train of thought instead of hiding and trying to cover up their goof!

DaveMc

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 05:33:14 pm »
Hotubguy
Same basic answer--if you give a wrong answer or are called on your answer aren't you compelled as a purported "expert" to research you answer and either defend or acquiesce as the case will call for?

The question was--what size ground for  a 60 amp 155 foot run of 3-#4's and a ground---what size ground is required---6 8 or 10?
Dr Spa stated #6 and was refuted by several electricians--his way of dealing with this was to ignore it--hide if you will.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 05:47:25 pm »
whatever
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 05:47:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42