What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Level of Bromine before getting in.  (Read 9920 times)

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Level of Bromine before getting in.
« on: July 16, 2006, 03:24:05 am »
Hello, here is another in the endless chemical questions from a newbie.

Being a newbie I test more then I should, mostly to see how the water reacts to different situations. I always ( always meaning a week and a half) test before getting in to the tub, just to make sure all the levels are where they should be.

To begin I should say that I add a tsp of bromine/person after each soak for a 10 minute cleaning cycle. Of course that gets the level of bromine up high. I was told that the level of bromine should be 3-5 ppm (by the way I was given the Spa-Guard starter kit), however every time I test the next day before I get in, the level is down to 0 ppm. Should I be adding Bromine before getting in to raise the level to the 3-5 ppm recommended or just not worry about it.

Thank you.

Hot Tub Forum

Level of Bromine before getting in.
« on: July 16, 2006, 03:24:05 am »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Level of Bromine before getting in.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 09:38:40 am »
Bromine is usually used in a floater, so that keeps the levels up 24/7. Chlorine is added after (or before, depending on your preference) tub use.
If you're using bromine, purchase a floater, insert your bromine pucks or whatever form you use, set the floater to dispense it at a rate that works for you (ours is at about 7 out of 12 or so), and enjoy! We only remove the floater when we use the tub.
RIP C-Rod

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:04:08 pm »
Thanks you for your reply, however, I do not have a floater. Was not given one. Most likely not going to get one. There has to be a procedure to keep the level up with just the powder. If I even need to do that.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 12:21:08 pm »
Anyone else? Please.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 01:06:42 pm »
cooltoy200,
As Tatooed Lady already explained to you, you need to get a floater and use bromine tabs in it. That's the standard procedure for using bromine in a spa.

There are two forms of bromine, power and tablets. The powder is used to immediately raise the bromine but then levels off quickly. Use it after refilling the tub with fresh water.

The bromine tablets dissolve slowly and is for every day, day in and day out usage. If you are going to use bromine then you must use tablets. The powder is way too expensive and time consuming (as you are finding out).  ;D

I'm surprised your dealer did not explain this to you. They only gave you the bromine powder? How strange.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

JeffB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 01:11:50 pm »
I will respond. I am a consumer. I just bought my second tub. I use bromine, just as I did for a number of years with a Sundance Optima. As I understand it, granular bromine is just for establiahing a bromine bank when you fill the tub. I have never heard of anyone trying to sanitize with granular bromine. If you are going to sanitize by adding a sanitizer upon each use, I believe you should be using granular clorine. As has been stated, with bromine, you buy bromine tabs and a floater and put the tabs in the floater and the floater in the tub. Most floaters have adjustments to control the amount of bromine dispensed as the tabs melt. If you tie the floater to the tub wall or top so it stays in one area of the tub, it is easier to control the bromine levels. You want to keep 3 to 5ppm bromine in the water. I have 24 hour ozone and use a frog mineral cartridge in the circ pump filter cartridge. This allows me to keep the bromine at about 1 to 2ppm. My water is always clear with very little chemical feel. Again, I am a consumer, so this is just experience and not science. Hope this helps.   Jeff

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 01:32:46 pm »
This is the stuff I was given.

This is what it says on the website.

"

The strongest bacteria fighter in powerful granules that are extremely easy to use. Applied in the correct amount while the pump is running. No need to pre-treat with bromide salts. No need to add oxidizers to activate it. And since Brominating Concentrate is pH neutral, there is no need to adjust pH or total alkalinity either. This "one-step" product is used as a regular sanitizer and as an oxidizer to rid the spa of odors and undesirable compounds."

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 01:40:02 pm »
 To answer your original question, I'd say it's perfectly ok to use your spa with a 0 bromine reading.  
I'd do that before I'd hop in with a reading of say 10.

I think 3-5 ppm is the target level for sanitization with bromine, and usually floaters are used to try and maintain a constant 3-5 level.  

Your routine is a bit different than what some of us who use (or in my case, have used).  They were confusing your Spa Guard with Sodium Bromide, which is used to get an immediate bromine level in conjunction with the tablet/floater routine.

I'd stickt to the instructions for that product, and as long as your water stays as you like it, don't worry too much.

Brewman

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 01:48:43 pm »
Thanks Brewman.

I am happy with the water quality. But everywhere one reads (even my test strips) it says 3-5 ppm, so I was like "Hmmmmm, am I doing something wrong?" We always second guess ourselves.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 01:49:05 pm by cooltoy2000 »

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 04:12:33 pm »
Another Newbie chiming in regarding levels and Chlorine.  It sounds like all granular products seem to fall in a similar vein.  After soaking, you put some in to bring the levels to 3-5PPM to kill the bacteria that you brought into the tub.  Over night, the levels will go down to near 0.  Then I shock once a week with Renew (MPS?) to burn off all of the dead bacterias that were killed during my regular daily (or post soaking) routine.

I have a chlorine routine (leisure time spa56 w/N2), I have yet to even whiff a hint of chlorine either while I am in the tub, or after I get out on me or my suit (when i wear it).  Being a pool person in the past, the levels were something totally different in the spa than in the pool.

Best of luck!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 07:01:50 pm »
I saw Spaguard's webpage, too. The SpaGuard Brominating Concentrate is the same powder I was talking about and I have been using it strictly for fresh water during refills. Looks like it can be used on a daily basis but it would sure get pricey.
I'm looking at the 2# bottle I bought and the price tag is $18.95. Not cheap. That's why most of us use the slower dissolving bromine tablets listed on the same page, right below the concentrate.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 07:40:15 pm »
I should probably add that I have an ozonator, if that makes any difference in the routine.

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 10:22:35 pm »
  Cooltoy.... I use the SpaGuard bromine. I've had a Majesta almost one year. Here's what I do:

Just before I fill the tub I take a water sample over to the dealer. He tests it and says how much BalancePak to put in. It's almost always 5 capfulls. Then we put in a spoonful of the brominating concentrate for each bather before we get in. Weekly I do a shock (can't remember what it's called but it's in a package that come 13 to a box) and a few capfuls of stain and scale on a different day. After a few weeks I stop over and they test the water. It's generally bang on everything with a bromine level of maybe 1. About six weeks into the waters usage I find that my PH changes a touch so I take two samples, one without doing anything, and another after adding a capful or two of balancepak. When they test them the PH is a little off in the first one but good in the second. That's what I did the first 4 or 6 months. I don't take samples over every few weeks, any more, but just before a water change and then about 6 weeks in. My dealer has no problems with doing the quick test and no matter who is there we always have a nice chat while they do it.

I have no idea if I'm doing this chemical thing right but the water tests well, we have no itching and the water is usually crystal clear right up until it's time to change it. And we do have an ozonator.

Hope that helps.   paul

Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 11:40:31 pm »

Then we put in a spoonful of the brominating concentrate for each bather before we get in.

Before every time you get in? Holly smokes that's a lot. That would mean that your bromine level would be above 10 ppm when you get in.

So here is what I did today. I called every dealer within 1000 km radius of my city that sells Spaguard. They all told me that the level has to be 3-5 ppm before getting in. They told me that I do not need to add  tsp per person after because that would be overkill and expensive. One of the dealers asked me (he was the only one) if I have an ozonator (which I do). So I said - would that make a difference? He said - yes. With an ozonator you only need 1-3 ppm before getting in.

So here is what I tried before my soak tonight. I tested the water and like before the Bromine was at 0 ppm, so I added 0.5 tsp of Bromine, which brought it up to 3 ppm. I tested again after the soak and the level was down to practically 0 ppm (which makes sense to me), so I put in another 0.5 tsp on a cleaning cycle. I will do the same before and after the next soak.

This means that I am using 1 tsp per day, instead of 2 or 3. I'll give that a shot for a while. Seems to make more sense to me. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:41:10 pm by cooltoy2000 »

JeffB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 06:49:01 am »
You learn something everyday. The Spaguard granular bromine is obviously different than most granular bromine and is designed to be used as a daily sanitizer. I still don't understand why you are so resistent to bromine tablets and a floater. Once you get it down it is much easier. No need to add chemicals before you get in and after you get out. I tried Nature2 and MPS for awhile years ago where you add MPS before every soak. The problem was my three kids. Friends over. A hot tub. They use it. They forget to add the chemicals. The water goes bad. A bromine floater solved the problem and allowed my kids to enjoy the tub without constantly being told by me they had to add chemicals each time they used it. A tub is for fun afterall. But there are numerous sanitizing routines that work, and if you have found one that works for your tub and use pattern, that's all that matters. Enjoy your tub.   Jeff

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 06:49:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42