What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another home improvement question  (Read 5923 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Another home improvement question
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:56:13 am »
My husband has decided that he wants to change the color of the siding on the house.  I have to admit, it doesn't coordinate well with our tub!! Anyway, has anyone tried painting aluminum siding? Can it be done or would it be cheaper to just go vinyl? I have already told him I am not participating in either project..so we will hire someone. I think if I ask this question to a contractor, however, I will get the most answer that would be most profitable for them.. :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Another home improvement question
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:56:13 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Another home improvement question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 11:37:52 am »
I have heard that aluminum will take paint very well as long as it's preped properly.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:36:53 pm »
Bonibelle,
Back in '77, before I left for the East coast to finish college, I repainted my mother's house which is clad in aluminum siding. It was pretty bad. In some spots you could see the bare aluminum. I prepped it using the following process. I used to work for a retail hardware chain (Orchard Supply Hardware for any of you Californians) and asked the paint reps how to go about it. I followed their advice.
It might have been overkill but it still looks OK after 40 years later.

1. Used a high pressure washer to remove all of the dirt, dust, old paint, etc. from all extieror surfaces.
2. I rented a paint sprayer (large, two story house - we rented apartments upstairs) and applied a base coat of zinc chromate. Zinc chromate is a primer for aluminum. It will stick to it where other primers will not.
Frankly, it looked pretty ugly at this stage due to the color. Zinc chromate is a school bus yellow (baby $hit yellow?) color. Strangers came to the door and told my mother they didn't like it. Friends called and asked if she was feeling alright. Yes, that was a tough couple of days...
3. I then finished the job with two (or three?) coats of a high quality latex satin finish. Looked great and my mother was very pleased.

After 40 years it now looks kind of shabby and the new owners haven't bothered to repaint it but it looked great until about 30 10 years ago.  

Phil
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:55:34 pm by Phil_ »
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:40:47 pm »

After 40 years it now looks kind of shabby and the new owners haven't bothered to repaint it but it looked great until about 30 years ago.  

Phil

It lasted 10 years?  Did I read that right?

Not bad for house paint.
07 Caldera Geneva

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:58:24 pm »

It lasted 10 years?  Did I read that right?

Not bad for house paint.
drewstar,
No, it looked good for 30 years. I corrected the post. Thanks for catching that.  ;D
That's what I get for writing a post while I'm updating procedural documentation and trouble shooting a PC.  :(

Phil

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 03:01:31 pm »
I thought ten years was pretty good.  I'm told Latex house paint last just about 10 years.  Looking good for 30 years? That's great.

I did a quick google and there is a lot of info out there on painting al siding.  Seems, as you mentioned. prep work is the key.

Of course Bonie, it may be cheaper to paint the tub to match the house.   ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 04:47:06 pm »
Drew, I also found lots of info, but it was conflicting info...some articles said you could paint using just latex, others epoxy based..and another said that you must use a thinned primer.  I asked on here because I was pretty sure there must have been a success story out there somewhere. And I think Phil was the success story that I was looking for.. I was not really painting to match the tub, but because the yellow siding that my husband picked out 24 years ago is really looking old...I HATE yellow!  So when he suggested that we paint the siding...I was thrilled. I was even more thrilled when he said we would get someone to do it.. ;D I just need to know the right answers before I ask a contractor the question  ;) !  thanks for the help  ;)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 05:43:36 pm »
Look for a paint contractor who has experience painting aluminum siding, and get a couple references if you can.  The job will fail if the surface prep. is skimped.  
Pretty much true with any paint job, be it on wood, hardboard, metal- surface prep is just as important as the paint itself.
Brewman

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 07:06:52 pm »
Boni, I too have a yellow sided house. I bought this house about 6 years ago, and I imagine the siding is even older than yours. It's not a true yellow, but that's the closest color I can use to describe it. Altho it looks in good shape, I have never been thrilled with the color. PLEASE keep us up-dated, and if you do paint, take before and after pictures!
Thanks!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 10:52:11 pm »
MLG,my husband was the original Mellow Yellow!..and I feel like I have lived in a yellow submarine for 24 years. Believe it or not, we had matching yellow cars, a yellow house, the bathroom was blazing yellow (never paint a small room yellow), the kitchen was yellow with autumn gold appliances :o ...it got so bad, I hated to see the sun come up! 8-) After years of purging his yellowness, I have only the outside of the house left. I will definately keep you updated on my progress. I am thinking maybe a beige color...Thanks for all the help everyone!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:53:15 pm by Bonibelle »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 04:05:56 am »
MLG,my husband was the original Mellow Yellow!..and I feel like I have lived in a yellow submarine for 24 years. Believe it or not, we had matching yellow cars, a yellow house, the bathroom was blazing yellow (never paint a small room yellow), the kitchen was yellow with autumn gold appliances :o ...it got so bad, I hated to see the sun come up! 8-) After years of purging his yellowness, I have only the outside of the house left. I will definately keep you updated on my progress. I am thinking maybe a beige color...Thanks for all the help everyone!

I would carefully weight the cost of painting and the cost of residing.
Retired

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 07:36:27 am »
I would carefully weight the cost of painting and the cost of residing.
I would agree with Tman122. Last month I had my house resided - removed the aluminum, insulated with 1" R6.5 foam board and topped with vinyl. Now, it looks too good for the neighborhood!  8-)  ;)

Phil

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 08:21:57 am »
Very nice, Phil. I guess I will get prices both ways. I like the idea of adding insulation.  ;)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 08:43:56 am »
Very nice, Phil. I guess I will get prices both ways. I like the idea of adding insulation.  ;)
Bonibelle,
We have already noticed a big difference. The upstairs where the bedrooms are, was always cold; same with the kitchen. Now, both are just as comfortable as the rest of the house.
If you're in a cold climate region, its definitely worth considering.

Phil
[font=[size=11]So much to consider, so little time...[/size]

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 09:43:13 am »
.... Last month I had my house resided - removed the aluminum, insulated with 1" R6.5 foam board....
Phil

Full foam? Good call.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 09:43:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42