What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Catalina, Dynasty, Hot Springs, or Sundance  (Read 6686 times)

Salty_Ag

Catalina, Dynasty, Hot Springs, or Sundance
« on: March 20, 2006, 04:07:20 pm »
These are the major spa dealers in my area.  I just found this site and have been interested in a spa for quite some time.  It appears that most of the folks on this forum are very helpful so I pose this question...Which of these brands should I key on and which should I eliminate?

Hot Tub Forum

Catalina, Dynasty, Hot Springs, or Sundance
« on: March 20, 2006, 04:07:20 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Catalina, Dynasty, Hot Springs, or Sundance
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 04:16:32 pm »
The end 2 make a very good hot tub    the second one I have no familiarity with  and the first one ... ask the dealer for the 3rd page in the warranty with the list of 21 or 22 reasons why they wont honour their warranty  and find out which products they will cover and not a third party  and they are ok if you dont mind having a pro rated warranty.  Its just a fact  not bashing

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 05:56:15 pm »
Sundance is a Hot Spring product, a bit more of the "value line" I believe? Lots of HS dealers on here that are able to answer questions on those brands if you go that way. To me, having many stupid questions answered even when my dealer is closed is important, YMMV.
The Catalina and Dynasty I'll let someone else discuss, as I'm in the dark more than normal on those two.
You should be able to find LOTS of info on the tub you're really interested in, and expect to get good dealer support, good warranty, etc...if you can't get that much, I'd recommend looking toward something better known, but then, that's just me again.

My thoughts are pretty simple (which is good, keeps the hamsters from getting lost):
1) Research your tub - dig up all the info you can on it. If the info's not there, there's a reason.
2) Talk to the local dealers, try to get a 'relationship' going with them, see what you feel your chances are of them being there for you in the event of ANY issues with your tub.
3) Avoid Ebay, WalMart, Costco, Home Cheapo etc tubs...this is MY preference. Why? Because I'm NOT a DIY'er with electric OR plumbing. I'm spending a buttload of money and expecting someone that knows how to fix the tub to do it for me.
4) Take a look around at your local spa sales locations- Keep an open mind about buying a floor model, you could get a really great deal if you're willing to be flexible on the colors and features.

This is all info that I've managed to dig up, observe, etc on this site, and use for my own evil purposes. What I've posted are MY thoughts, and are subject to my brain's limited capacity to translate the written word into useful knowledge.....
RIP C-Rod

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 06:04:39 pm »
Hi Salty_Ag,

Good luck on your hunt....

Just a quick point though about Tattoed_Lady's post.

Sundance is not a Hot Springs product.

Here's the hot tub family tree....

Hot Spring, Tiger River, Hot Spot, Solana are all part of the Watkins family, while Sundance & Jacuzzi are together.  I own a Jacuzzi, and although it has many of the same features as the Sundance, Jacuzzi is the lower priced tub.  Sundance will give you bells and whistles and different filtration than Jacuzzi

However Jacuzzi and Sundance, (at least in my market) are sold at different stores.  

Happy tub shopping...and remember a dealer that will support you is almost as important as the tub itself.

Mark

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 06:07:34 pm »
DOH......my bad......guess I got 'em mixed up because my HS dealer sells Jacuzzi, Sundance, Tiger River, HS, etc... Sorry if my faux pas confused ya.  :-[
RIP C-Rod

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 06:12:23 pm »
I am a satisfied Dynasty customer - see my webpage to the left. That said, look, try it out as they do make some models that look really horrible to me. They have a model that has nothing but the same showerhead jet and to me it looks horrible.  Their new Advantage looks very good to me. My spa will be 3 years old Thursday.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 06:13:53 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Salty_Ag

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 01:45:18 pm »
Thanks to all of you.  All good advice.  I'm leaning towards a Sundance "Majesta", but haven't wet tested any tubs yet.  Found out after my post that the Sundance dealer also carries "Caldera", I noticed that they must sponsor this site in some way due to their add.  Any comments on this brand?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 02:12:07 pm »
Thanks to all of you.  All good advice.  I'm leaning towards a Sundance "Majesta", but haven't wet tested any tubs yet.  Found out after my post that the Sundance dealer also carries "Caldera", I noticed that they must sponsor this site in some way due to their add.  Any comments on this brand?

Caldera is made by the same company that makes Hot Springs so they are a viable option as were all teh spas you mentioned. Wet test that versus the Majesta you're leaning towards and use those results as the wet test answers a lot of questions.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 07:50:11 pm »
Do look at warranties.  Dynasty's impressed me and they have stood behind it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 06:16:18 am »
  I bought a Majesta last July and we love it. I saw (and heard about) a lot of spas and wet tested a few before we  bought but I didn't get to a Caldera dealer so sorry, I can't compare the two in my case. If you like the dealer it will take that part out of the equation at least.    paul
Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 07:22:05 am »
 I bought a Majesta last July and we love it. I saw (and heard about) a lot of spas and wet tested a few before we  bought but I didn't get to a Caldera dealer so sorry, I can't compare the two in my case. If you like the dealer it will take that part out of the equation at least.    paul

I buy a lot of my chemicals from a local Sundance Dealer, if I was buying the Majesta would be one of my first wet tests.

Salty_Ag

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 02:23:04 pm »
Good info. I appreciate all of your opinions.  

Thanks again.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 02:23:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42