What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foaming  (Read 4578 times)

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
Foaming
« on: September 11, 2005, 05:04:27 am »
I am having major foaming issues and I want to get rid of it, short of dumping the water.  I now have to use defoamer each time I use my tub.  My water chemistry is perfect as per the Taylor test kit.  I use Spa Perfect but not on days I use shock.  Many, many people use my tub and I doubt they all are getting rid of the detergent in their suits as instructed.  [What is the best way to get rid of the detergent residue?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 05:05:27 am by Haynes »

Hot Tub Forum

Foaming
« on: September 11, 2005, 05:04:27 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Foaming
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 08:16:32 am »
Haynes,

I also battle foaming issues and I think it's 3 fold - the suits, Spa Perfect and TDS. I have my sons' friends go in the tub and right afterwards I get huge amount of foam, anywhere from 5-8 inches high. I scoop it out with a pool skimmer and it's still there.

I do (maybe did) use Spa Perfect. With Spa Perfect, if you go to their website and read the FAQ, they will tell you it'll foam and the water will get cloudy as it tries to do it's job. It seems like for me - it starts foaming right away, I put in the required amount and 6 hours later I turn on the air jets and I get frothing on the water. It does keep the tub Squeaky Clean - No brown tub ring.

For TDS, well with a lot of people using your tub your TDS might be through the roof. The formula is (Volume of spa)/3/(average # of bathers)= change water. For me, it's around 60 days and I almost got 2 months out of my water - I was 8 days shy of 2 months.

I understand what your going through and it's fustrating. My last battle with foam - My son and his friends went in, large amounts of foam, scoop the foam and shock the tub, cloudy water - added clarifier, clear water - change filters and added enzymes (2x dose) and tub foamed again - CHANGED WATER!!!

It just might be time to change the water.

Vinny
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 04:11:45 pm by Vinny »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 11:25:09 am »
Just keep a spray bottle with 50/50 defoamer/water and use as needed.....about the easiest way to deal with it.  I had a "guest" (that title is giving her MUCH too much credit) that just flopped in the tub clothes and all.  Needless to say, foam was an issue afterwards.  She won't get another invitation......... :-[
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

velocity23

• If it ain't broke...break it
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 12:35:02 pm »
I hate foam in my tub! I was using Anti-Foam everytime I got in until a good friend of mine suggested a dryer sheet (I use snuggles) WOW the foam just disappeared, not to mention it smelled very nice to. The dryer sheet seems to last about three days and doesn't leave that scummy stuff at the water line like the Anti-Foam does. It sounds goofy but it works for me. Not much to lose except the foam and one dryer sheet.  :)Good luck

Howie

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 07:29:52 pm »
I hate foam in my tub! I was using Anti-Foam everytime I got in until a good friend of mine suggested a dryer sheet (I use snuggles) WOW the foam just disappeared, not to mention it smelled very nice to. The dryer sheet seems to last about three days and doesn't leave that scummy stuff at the water line like the Anti-Foam does. It sounds goofy but it works for me. Not much to lose except the foam and one dryer sheet.  :)Good luck

Howie

That is interesting .....does anyone know why this could be the wrong the thing to do ....if it works with no adverse side effects it seems like a simple and good thing...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 07:30:32 pm by Mendocino101 »

Haynes

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 07:47:23 pm »

My water is about 6 weeks old but I have been fighting foam for about 2 weeks.  I hate to change the water if I don't have to, especially since it seems like its going to be a ongoing problem for me.  I am going to try the dryer sheet as soon as I can find someone to give me one to try.  Do you let the dryer sheet free float in the water or do you put it in some type of container?  

Thanks for everyones response.  Greatly appreciated.
Haynes

Howie

velocity23

• If it ain't broke...break it
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 08:29:49 pm »
Haynes,
I just let it free float, but I do watch it to make sure it doesn't go into the filter. I have been using this method for about two weeks and it has not affected my chemicals at all.....ph, alk, chl all good. Hope it works for you.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 08:38:01 am »
Cool......I've gotta try that dryer sheet idea.  Another idea as well.....yesterday I 303'd my cover (all sides), all pillows, my control knobs and controller panel.  I'm sure some overspray got into the tub as well.  Seems that the foam was definitely less while I soaked last night--or was it the martini? ::)  Anyway, I'll investigate it further and update if I find anything significant.  In the meantime, the dryer sheet idea sounds like a winner.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 09:42:55 am »
Over the labor day weekend I had many vistors to my tub and my tub got a bad case of the foams.  The water looks crystal clear, but turn the jets on and boom - soap foam.

I refuse to use the anti-foam product, as last time it clouded my water up to the point I had to dump it.

I've rinsed the filter 2x since then, and have kept the water chemisty right on the money and have noticed a big difference, however, after 1 week it's only about 75% gone. I'm going to give it another week, before I try anything else.

After all, it's just a touch of soap. Right? This will eventaully disapaite on it's own, right?
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 08:53:50 pm »
Water is probably the cheapest chemical you can use. When I thought about how much time I was putting into fighting it and the chemicals, it was worth it to dump and start all over again!

salesdvl

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 09:20:25 pm »
The Vinster has a point.    It kills me to say that but.... ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

Haynes

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 09:30:54 pm »
Water is probably the cheapest chemical you can use. When I thought about how much time I was putting into fighting it and the chemicals, it was worth it to dump and start all over again!

Its more of a time factor thing.  It take a while to do a complete dump and refill.  Not to bad of a job this time of year but I can't imagine having to change my water Jan, Feb and March just to get water without all the foam.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 10:17:14 pm »
If you're a newbie as I think you are - you're going to screw up your water. Heck, I have a pool for 5 years now and hot water behaves differently than cold water - I thought it'll be a snap to take care of a tub - I had 4 years training -WRONG!!

I just drained and refilled and got almost 2 months out of the water, the first was only 1 month. What I have found is IF you can't control what goes into the tub, you can't control how the water is behaving.

I have a 10 YO and when the he goes into the tub with 4 or 5 of his friends with nice, freshly washed suits (even after going in  the pool) I get 5 - 8 inches of foam. I have battled it down but after the 3rd or 4th time of them going in on different days - I can't clear up the foam! Also couple that with a 14 YO and his friends and the fact that my kids have 4 or 5 bathing suits/gym shorts that they change into and jump into the tub.

I can appreciate where your coming from as I too am looking at winter quickly appoaching and don't want to be a spacicle in Jan. I decided to eliminate the Spa Perfect for mow and see if that contributed to some of the minor foaming, I upped the ozonator run time to 12 hours a day AND now that summer is disappearing, I have informed my family that they are to pick 1 suit to use in the tub to help combat the foam. I'm shooting for a Nov water change for this water but am hoping to get 4 months from the next.

As far as the dump/refill - it can take as little as 2 hours or less. Use sump pump tubing and get that to siphon out the water - IT'S QUICK. It dumped 400 gallons in about 30 min and the fill took about 45. NO! I wouldn't want to do it in Jan but the more I practice the better I will get!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 10:23:31 pm by Vinny »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 10:25:22 pm »
I ran out of Spa Perfect a couple of weeks ago, stopped using it, and my foaming problem has been reduced.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 07:00:05 am »
Although, it does a great job at keeping the scum line gone - there's an aweful lot of foaming questions in their FAQ and they don't provide enough help when you e=mail them.

I've been soaking now for 3 days and the new water doesn't have a scum line - go figure!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 07:00:05 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42