What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Warranty Woes?  (Read 4495 times)

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Warranty Woes?
« on: September 14, 2005, 11:11:18 pm »
Can folks share warranty experiences?
I have been looking at warranties.

Red Flag 1 - if the tub has to go back to the factory or a new tub to replace the old is sent out, or both - the customer flips for the freight, del, set up etc.  I doubt it happens often, but it's a pretty significant exclusion.    Has it happened to anyone?  
Some are vague and list "freight expense" as not covered.  Does that include the cost merely to ship parts is also not covered?

Red Flag 2 - 'X' years parts and labor, BUT the cost of the service call/mileage is on you.  They only pay labor for the repair.  Technically that means if you have to call the dealer back the week following initially delivery to fix something, he can charge you X dollars for a trip charge which to me is a crock of s__t.

Red Flag 3 - certain wear items warranted for condition at delivery only.  If your cabinet warps in the Texas sun 2 months after delivery, too bad.

Not every brand has all of these, nor am I necessarily looking for a brand that has none of these since I'm not sure it exists and if it did, there's no guarantee it will fit me or I will like it.  I'm wondering what to expect should I need service once I buy a spa given these worst case scenarios.

The warranties, like many others sound great until you read the fine print and find substantial exclusions.  I'm guessing what I'll hear is "if you have good reputable local dealer, they'll take care of you".  And my question back would be - are you the dealer willing to put in writing that you waive the right to ever collect a trip charge for a warranty repair?  (I know better than to ask them to assume liability for freight of an entire spa.)

Nitpicking.....maybe.  But as I'm close to buying, I'm finishing up my research.  Hopefully, I'll never have to address having a warranty repair, but it's good information to have to keep things in perspective.
Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Warranty Woes?
« on: September 14, 2005, 11:11:18 pm »

cappykat

Re: Warranty Woes?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 11:44:05 pm »
I don't know which tubs you are looking at, but we bought a Marquis Epic and it has the easiest warranty with the least exclusions I've seen.  In fact, it doesn't have an "exclusions" section in the warranty.

You can download the warranty from Marquis' website.  This is what I got from my dealer when I asked about Marquis' warranty and travel charges.

Actually, you will have a full five yr warranty on parts, labor and travel.  The Marquis Everyday Hot tub line is 3 years on parts and labor.

7 years - Shell, skirt and plumbing

5 years - Motor(s), pump, heater, jets and spa pack (computer)

3 years - Lights, ozonator, fuses, cover and (see actual owner’s protection plan)

This is considered the best warranty from the major manufacturers.

I'm sure there will be "discussions" on that last sentence as far as the "best", but it seems to be a fairly straight forward warranty.
2005 Marquis Epic

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 11:53:23 pm »
I don't know which tubs you are looking at, but we bought a Marquis Epic and it has the easiest warranty with the least exclusions I've seen.  In fact, it doesn't have an "exclusions" section in the warranty.

You can download the warranty from Marquis' website.  This is what I got from my dealer when I asked about Marquis' warranty and travel charges.

I'm sure there will be "discussions" on that last sentence as far as the "best", but it seems to be a fairly straight forward warranty.

They still have a few.

From Marquis:
"Marquis Corp. agrees to repair any plumbing or surface defects and to repair or furnish a replacement for any factoryinstalledcomponents covered under this warranty which, upon test and examination by Marquis Corp., prove defective. All materials for examination must be returned to Marquis Corp. freight prepaid."

"Other items not included in this warranty are freight expense; labor and material costs associated with removal and/or replacement of spa;"

"Your authorized Marquis Dealer reserves the right to assess travel charges for service calls which are beyond the scope of their normal service area." (fair enough - but then again their normal service area should be their sales area imho.)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 12:13:16 am by rexspent »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 04:20:44 am »

They still have a few.

From Marquis:
"Marquis Corp. agrees to repair any plumbing or surface defects and to repair or furnish a replacement for any factoryinstalledcomponents covered under this warranty which, upon test and examination by Marquis Corp., prove defective. All materials for examination must be returned to Marquis Corp. freight prepaid."

"Other items not included in this warranty are freight expense; labor and material costs associated with removal and/or replacement of spa;"

"Your authorized Marquis Dealer reserves the right to assess travel charges for service calls which are beyond the scope of their normal service area." (fair enough - but then again their normal service area should be their sales area imho.)

Your Marquis dealer is reasonable for returning the items and as for the trip charge, this to cover those who as you mention buy out of their normal sales territory, perhaps like someone who moves and brings a tub say for example to Big Bear (here in so cal) I would be their servicing dealer but it is out at of the realm of my normal territory .....I think most customers understand when live on the out shirts of places.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 04:22:01 am by Mendocino101 »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 08:16:32 am »
I didn't find enough difference in warranty between the spas I shopped to make a difference one way or another.  Like most other concerns, it was only a small part of the overall consideration.  
Don't put too much into your shopping and research that it takes all the fun out of what should be a fun thing- shopping for a new toy.  Unless you like that sorta thing and thinks it's fun.  If that's the case, go nuts.
Brewman

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 10:08:17 am »
One thing I found interesting when shoppnig for a spa is that a lot of the manufactures (Hot Springs, Coleman) warranites are not transferable to new owners.   This seemed crazy to me, and raised a flag.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 10:40:02 am »
I'm hoping that trasferable warrenty will be a selling point for me as I'm trying to sell my 2004 Marquis.

As far as warrenty work done on my marquis, I've a  couple things done on mine, and I can't say enough good things.

The latest was that the handle on my cover ripped off.  I called my dealer and emailed them pics.  The next thing I knew, about 4 weeks later, the tech was at my door with a new cover.  

I don't know if I say my dealer is awesome or Marquis,  but I do know that the warrenty was a huge factor in buying my Marquis the first time, and a main reason for buying one the next time (hopefully upgrading to an Epic soon)
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

cappykat

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 10:53:34 am »
Agree, Ruby.  Mendo and my dealer told me Marquis' warranty was transferable.  Don't know of any other warranty that is.
2005 Marquis Epic

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 11:54:30 am »
Beachcomber is.  Hot Springs is not.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 11:55:04 am by marks »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 02:37:31 pm »
Every warranty has at least one exclusion.

Beachcomber for example, touts that they have a guarantee not a warranty. They also claim to have no exclusions.

From the Beachcomber Guarantee:
"There is only one condition attached to our guarantee: the hot tub must not in our opinion have been subjected to any willful abuse, neglect or misuse during the the period of coverage, including having the required regular maintenance performed. The Beachcomber Guarantees are transferable to a new owner within 30 days of expiry. ...."

If you ask me that is a pretty fat exclusion. I would rather have specific examples/list of things that are not covered or considered "willful abuse, neglect or misuse" than a vague promise that could be retracted "in our opinion"

I am amazed consumers expect bullet proof warranties on spas when they don't get them in automotive, electronics etc.
Homeworks Financing Representative

cappykat

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 04:19:03 pm »
I am amazed consumers expect bullet proof warranties on spas when they don't get them in automotive, electronics etc.

Hottubman...you make a good point.
2005 Marquis Epic

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 04:46:01 pm »

I don't expect bullet proof.  It's obvious all have wiggle room, even some of the more comprehensive.  I'm sure they are based on experience and intentionally limit their liability.  But if you get a lemon, which is always a possibilty, you are open to substantial unintended expense.  The biggest issue I have is the "you pay for the service call" disclaimer.  It's not as if you have a reasonable option to take the tub in, like a car, stereo, etc.  So I think that's a pretty crappy exclusion.  Unfortunately, the mfr towards which I am leaning has it in their warranty and I may be stuck with it.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 04:50:54 pm »
Does the dealer you're shopping at actually charge the fee?  
My Sundance warranty has the dealer fee blub, my particular dealer doesn't charge it.

Brewman

cappykat

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 04:51:13 pm »
It's not as if you have a reasonable option to take the tub in, like a car, stereo, etc.

stl-rex...you make a good point also.
2005 Marquis Epic

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 05:16:57 pm »
Does the dealer you're shopping at actually charge the fee?  
My Sundance warranty has the dealer fee blub, my particular dealer doesn't charge it.

Did they put it in writing or is that just their "policy" subject to change at any time.  Again, I know I'm nit-picking, but I have been burned by "not putting it in writing" and unfortunately trusting a person to keep their word.
If I recall, the dealer indicated they don't charge that.  But I didn't ask for it in writing as I haven't gone in the final time.  I like the guy and probably believe him.  But the mfr's really have cya'd themselves

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 05:16:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42