What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stone base  (Read 3062 times)

miker

• Still looking........ ........
Stone base
« on: September 15, 2005, 03:33:31 pm »
Will four inches of stone (properly leveled) support my new tub?  I live in the Northeast.

A slab is impossible.

Hot Tub Forum

Stone base
« on: September 15, 2005, 03:33:31 pm »

jersey

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Stone base
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 03:45:44 pm »
I have mine on pea gravel, but about 8'' .(As per dealer instructions, I had not found this site until after we had it done.) Now I have only had my hot tub about 2 weeks but it is still perfectly level. To be honest with you, If I could do it over again I would do the slab because of the messy apearence. And I probably will in the spring. Either that or put it on the deck that we plan to rebuild in the spring.  ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 04:04:02 pm »
Be sure you have it well packed, and hope it doesn't shift.  I've heard of it working, but I think most spa companies won't honor warranty claims for damage caused by faulty bases, and some may insist on a certain base, so be sure before you purchase the spa.

Out of curiousity, why is a slab impossible?

Brewman

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 04:07:07 pm »
I had mine on stone for a year and it was ok but a little hard on the feet. :o My son and I removed it a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with a nice wood deck. Best thing I have ever did. I put some extra support under the tub even though the deck sits on the ground. Put up the rails and it came out awsome.  :D You could use stone but make sure you put some support under the tub.

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:33:53 pm »
Talk to the manufacture of the spa to see if a stone base is an approved surface (don't tell them a slab is impossiable).  Get it in writting if it won't void your warranty.  

An Arctic Spa with a forever floor can sit right on the bare ground with out voiding the warranty.

Thanks,
Michael

kel444

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 09:01:31 pm »

I too could not put in a slab so I ended up calling around to some patio places. Many had experienced putting in a base for a hot tub. They suggested a crushed stone base then pavers on top. I liked the look ...much better then just stone. I did check with the manufacture to make sure this would not void the warrenty...marqui was fine with it. As a matter of fact the guys are coming tommorw to put the base down. Wish me luck!!! Good luck!

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 07:57:22 am »
I've had mine on 6x6s placed on a 12 x 16 gravel "patio" for 1 year now in NW NJ.  Recently put decking on the gravel to make it easier to shovel in the winter and eliminate tracking gravel into the tub.

miker

• Still looking........ ........
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 08:46:23 am »
Thanks everyone.  I can't use a slab because it would require a boom over the house to pour.  Too far to wheelbarrel from the street.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 08:46:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42