What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question about shocking...  (Read 1935 times)

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
Question about shocking...
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:43:41 pm »
How often should one shock the tub?  I have been shocking every week.  We use bromine (frog system) and the tub is used almost nightly.  After a shock (MPS) my bromine readings are off the chart for days...and my ph and alk levels drop to near zero.  My spa guy says I'm shocking too often, and it isn't necessary.  I'm confused, as usual.  When should I shock?  Is there a clue from the water that it is time to shock?  My water has been perfect (minus a small amount of foam after I had a bunch of my teenage daughter's friends over for a soak).

Thanks in advance.

Elle
(Euphoria owner)

Hot Tub Forum

Question about shocking...
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:43:41 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Question about shocking...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 01:49:00 pm »
If your water has been perfect, don't change a thing....continue shocking as you have.  A weekly shock as you have been doing is the standard recommendation.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 03:14:01 pm »
Elle,

Once a week does not sound too often for the amount your tub is getting used. I sometimes shock twice in one week with extreme use. It is normal for bromine readings go high when shocking, that's part of the shock process. One clue that your water needs shock is when it starts to smell "chemically".

One thing to consider is the amount of shock you use. If I recall correctly the user manual recommended 4 ounces of MPS a week for the Euphoria. I personally found that to be very excessive, I now typically use 1.5 ounces when shocking.

Ultimately as windsurfdog already said "If your water has been perfect, don't change a thing."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 03:15:45 pm by empolgation »
e

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 03:14:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42